PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the new Mepis based on Ubuntu.

TrailerTrash
March 26th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I installed the new (testing) Mepis thats based on Ubuntu.. Warren done a fantastic job on the OS. Everything worked and it worked better for me than Kubuntu. So far im happy and think i think it will be a big it. Its fast and stable. It works great on my (Linux hater) laptop, and even installed better.

Just for kicks...I did a apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (because im a ubuntu and gnome lover) to see what would happen...LOL...It worked! I have a great working Ubuntu desktop with all of the ATI and all of the multimedia stuff working great. LOL...i just thought i would share that, :mrgreen:

eriefisher
March 26th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I tried Mepis 3.3.2 for a while and it was great that everything was there and worked perfectly. I think this will be a great merger of ideas and methods. Two great distros together can only mean good things are comeing.

eriefisher

sal
March 26th, 2006, 04:47 PM
do you have a link to the testing version you used?

thanks in advance

Perfect Storm
March 26th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I dunno....
The mepis users(at mepislovers.org) seems a bit ubuntu-hostile and they seem to take every oppotunity for bashing... :confused:
But perhaps with time...

Kernel Sanders
March 26th, 2006, 05:07 PM
As a relative noob, I had no idea what Mepis was, so I had a look......

Mepis is based on KDE, which I dont like, so yuck, and yes there seems to be a fair amount of childish Ubuntu bashing :rolleyes:

I'm glad there is this childish jealosy though. It means that they hate being rated behind Ubuntu, so they will strive harder to make Mephis better. In turn, Ubuntu will feel the other distro's like Mepis snapping at their heels, so will strive harder to make Ubuntu better. For the consumer its win win. :-D

eriefisher
March 26th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I dunno....
The mepis users(at mepislovers.org) seems a bit ubuntu-hostile and they seem to take every oppotunity for bashing... :confused:
But perhaps with time...

I think they are just loyal to thier distro. Some are saying positive things about it. I think alot of them just don't want to lose the Deb repos that Mepis uses(which has been giving them some problem of late). Personally, I'd like to see whats coming.

eriefisher

eriefisher
March 26th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Mepis is based on KDE, which I dont like, so yuck, and yes there seems to be a fair amount of childish Ubuntu bashing :rolleyes:

You can run Gnome on Mepis no problem.

eriefisher

Kernel Sanders
March 26th, 2006, 05:48 PM

eriefisher

Sorry, noobness showing again! :mrgreen:

I thought that the OS itself was "made" in either KDE or Gnome?

So KDE/Gnome is just like a theme then? That can be changed at will?

:confused:

GeneralZod
March 26th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Sorry, noobness showing again! :mrgreen:

I thought that the OS itself was "made" in either KDE or Gnome?

So KDE/Gnome is just like a theme then? That can be changed at will?

:confused:

It's more than a theme, but it's something (a "Desktop Environment", to be exact) that sits on top of all the other stuff - kernel, drivers, X, etc.

Yes, you can have both installed and switch between them at will - there are numerous guides strewn around the forums and wiki :)

TrailerTrash
March 26th, 2006, 10:33 PM

eriefisher

Yes, but on the Mepis 6, if you install Gnome...You install Ubuntu.

TrailerTrash
March 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM
do you have a link to the testing version you used?

thanks in advance
To get the test you have to subscribe. wait a while and it will be posted to the public.

http://store.mepis.com/home.php

eriefisher
March 26th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, but on the Mepis 6, if you install Gnome...You install Ubuntu.

Well maybe, but Mepis does some good things with hardware detection,media codecs and configuration. I think it should turn out pretty impressive.

eriefisher

LinuxKid
March 27th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I agree mepis is good, but they have been kinda hostile on their forums (I know, I'm a member ;))

yet they say debian is a little annoyed at them for using mepis because of their installer, which they don't like, but they just have a go at ubuntu, no prob.

an oxymoron perhaps?

I'll always say great things about ubuntu on their forums, so don't worry about me (unless they start a war on me ;))

poofyhairguy
March 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM
I was waiting for a distro to fork Ubuntu and add codecs and such (plus some polish wanted by a certain consumers). Glad it was Mepis.

purdy hate machine
March 27th, 2006, 01:40 PM
As a Mepis user I’m looking forward to trying this out, although I’m not keen on giving up using the Debian repositories for everyday use. I think the reaction on the Mepis forums is not necessarily anti Ubuntu, it’s just that people are very passionate about their distro of choice and fear change. It very similar to the reaction that the whole CNR debate caused on here.

geearf
March 28th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I started with Mepis then moved to KUbuntu.
I think it would be nice to see Kubuntu based on mepis work also. Well I don't mean based, but that Mepis work should be integrated on Kubuntu and not only Kubuntu's work in Mepis.

I always thought those 2 distros should just make one better, because it's kinda of silly to do about the same things twice.

Jose Catre-Vandis
March 28th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Mepis download areas:

ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/mepis/

ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/mepis/released
ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/mepis/testing