PDA

View Full Version : alias for updating all packages

cajunlibra
June 9th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I created the following alias by hand and it gave me an error:

alias updater='sudo apt-get update | apt-get upgrade | apt-get autoclean | apt-get autoremove'

Error:
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the download directory
[sudo] password:

Entering my password does nothing.

How can I make this work?
Thanks

diesch
June 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
This runs sudo apt-get update feeds its output into apt-get upgrade (without sudo).

Use

sudo sh -c 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get autoclean; apt-get autoremove'

nvteighen
June 9th, 2010, 06:27 PM
This runs sudo apt-get update feeds its output into apt-get upgrade (without sudo).

Use

sudo sh -c 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get autoclean; apt-get autoremove'

I would avoid placing the sudo in the alias definition. Following Python's philosophy, explicit is better than implicit... specially with regards to sudo and other similar root-privileges granting programs. That way you'll always know when you're root and when not; no, you may sometimes forget that works using sudo.

It's just about being aware what one does with one's own computer.

diesch
June 9th, 2010, 06:51 PM
For me an alias is just a shortcut to avoid typing the same things over and over again. As sudo asks for the password in any case I don't see a problem here.

nvteighen
June 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM
As sudo asks for the password in any case I don't see a problem here.

No, it doesn't if the timeout is set and you didn't do sudo -k. But well, it's not going to be a super security risk either.

Tony Flury
June 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I created the following alias by hand and it gave me an error:

alias updater='sudo apt-get update | apt-get upgrade | apt-get autoclean | apt-get autoremove'

Error:
E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the download directory
[sudo] password:

Entering my password does nothing.

How can I make this work?
Thanks

The reason it did not work initially is that you used the "|" pipe - which runs each command as a seperate process and streams the output of one process into the input of the next - and since all those apt-get's run at the same time under your command, each one tries to lock the file - and only the first one that starts up is able to lock it - and the rest generate an error. To get this working you should use the ";" (semicolon) as diesch suggested - this will run each command when the previous one completes - which i am fairly sure that is what you intended.