PDA

View Full Version : Do you too love to bury your head in the sand?

handy
June 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I have been using various parts of the Ubuntu forum for well over 4 years now.

Something that I'd like to impart to the newly acquainted, which I have managed to learn about (eventually) is that there exists something that is really helpful to OUR user experience; many UF members don't know about this yet.

What is it you may ask?

It is the ability to block the input from people that we as individuals consider to be trolls; or as is far more common, those people that are just plain obnoxious as far as our personal sensibilities are concerned.

This inbuilt ability of the forum BB software to block the posts of the offensive & insensitive members of the forum that are obviously suffering from medically documented syndromes, which everyone except their mothers & their legal teams are aware of is a cause for great relief for those of us who are free from such disturbance.

I block them, why wouldn't you?

If you do block them of course, then they don't exist... Quantum physics in its simplest form. If you don't look at them, then they don't exist...

Back to our physical reality; you know that the awareness of these syndromes, & the fact that they are the pathological motivation of aberrant chauvinistic behaviour, makes it so much easier for those of us that are sane to deal with.

Knowing & understanding that the afflicted are what they are, makes it so much easier for us. We who are motivated by the goodness in our hearts should try to help them whenever we can, & do what we can in an effort to ignore the insanity that they live by.

whiskeylover
June 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I wish they had the ability to block mods if you wanted. Currently, blocking mods from PMing/harassing you isn't allowed.

handy
June 9th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I wish they had the ability to block mods if you wanted. Currently, blocking mods from PMing/harassing you isn't allowed.

Read the CoC & if it doesn't suit you then you need to go & find another forum where you can express yourself more freely.

Tristam Green
June 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
or, you know, you could politely request the mods to look at allegedly offensive speech/behavior by using another piece of the Forum software:

http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/report.gif

But I guess if you don't look at it, it doesn't exist...

Simian Man
June 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I never use that feature on forums. If you start blocking posts then threads don't make sense and you could repeat what somebody else said. I'm also not easily offended and will just skip over useless posts.

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Just consider them part of the entertainment. This is the internet, after all - "a more wretched hive of scum & villiany..." & all that.

It's all in good fun.

whiskeylover
June 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Read the CoC & if it doesn't suit you then you need to go & find another forum where you can express yourself more freely.

Yes, oh lord and protector of the CoC, I will do that if this forum doesn't suit me. I'm talking about certain mods that either tend to have a vendetta against you, or try to assert their authority by telling you who's the boss via a PM.

McRat
June 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Rule #1 of the Interwebbythingymabob:

The Mod is Always Right.

Rule #2

If the Mod is Wrong, See Rule #1.

Seriously, never take a slapdown by a mod personally. They see more aholes a day than a Free Clinic protocologist.

Rule #3

If you act on the internet like you do in real life, things go smoother. You are a guest in somebodies house. Don't offend the homeowner, their family, or your fellow guests.

sydbat
June 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Have I been blocked?? Please tell me I am that special!!):P

mmix
June 9th, 2010, 03:43 PM
never underestimate other ppl, you don't know them.
even if you knew them, that's not.

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Boy, it's quite in here. McRat & Mmix, you are quite the thread-killers.

whiskeylover
June 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM

The Mod is Always Right.

Rule #2

Seriously, never take a slapdown by a mod personally. They see more aholes a day than a Free Clinic protocologist.

Rule #3

If you act on the internet like you do in real life, things go smoother. You are a guest in somebodies house. Don't offend the homeowner, their family, or your fellow guests.

I agree to everything you said. What I was referring to was one specific instance, where I wished I could have just blocked a person (who also happened to be a mod) from PMing me. He obviously didn't agree with me, and he made sure he me know that via a PM. All I wanted to do was to block any further PMs by that person, but I wasn't allowed to do it. I didn't throw a hissy fit because of my inability to do so. I merely closed my inbox and moved on.

Just letting you know.

RiceMonster
June 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I think someone would have to be the biggest jerk in the universe and somehow not get banned for me to block them. I have no one blocked, because even if I may disagree with some people, not everything they say is something worth blocking.

That said, I wonder how many people blocked me :P.

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
WhiskeyLover - you re-killed the thread!

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
(I hope somebody's getting my jokes... Or am I universally blocked? :eek:)

whiskeylover
June 9th, 2010, 03:50 PM
WhiskeyLover - you re-killed the thread!

You're welcome.

sydbat
June 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I think someone would have to be the biggest jerk in the universe and somehow not get banned for me to block them. I have no one blocked, because even if I may disagree with some people, not everything they say is something worth blocking.

That said, I wonder how many people blocked me :P.We can never block you! You are RICEMONSTER!! If anyone blocked you, the result would be like dividing by zero.

Tristam Green
June 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM

The Mod is Always Right.

Rule #2

Rule #3

110% truth.

That said, I wonder how many people blocked me :P.

You're the coolest person in the history of ever. Nobody had better block you lest he/she suffer a lacking of your awesome.

Dragonbite
June 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I never use that feature on forums. If you start blocking posts then threads don't make sense and you could repeat what somebody else said. I'm also not easily offended and will just skip over useless posts.

Same here, plus are you sure they are trolls, or just people with valid (or semi-valid) but distasteful information/opinions?

RiceMonster
June 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
We can never block you! You are RICEMONSTER!! If anyone blocked you, the result would be like dividing by zero.

You're the coolest person in the history of ever. Nobody had better block you lest he/she suffer a lacking of your awesome.

:cool:

Sealbhach
June 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM

That's the best piece of advice I've seen in a while.... (wondering when I'm going to be offered tea).

handy
June 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Bump!

How come no one has posted in this thread yet? :confused:

TheNosh
June 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
i block everyone. as far as i know, i'm the only person here.

julio_cortez
June 9th, 2010, 04:07 PM
He obviously didn't agree with me, and he made sure he me know that via a PM.
I don't know your situation, but chances are he/she wrote a PM to you to keep the "flame" apart from a public forum.
many mods do that, in order not to "blame" someone in public: they edit/delete a user's post then PM the user telling him/her where he went wrong.
I was admin of a PES (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Evolution_Soccer_%28series%29)-related site some time ago and I also used to keep the "why I edited/deleted this post" discussion private, when I had to edit/delete posts.
The only time I kept a discussion like that public was when a user publicly challenged/offended me. And it happened once in 2 years.

That said, I wonder how many people blocked me.
Not many, I think..
I must admit that arguing.. errrr, well, I meant discussing with you is fun so I don't see why people should block you just for having different opinions than theirs:lolflag:

YuiDaoren
June 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I prefer to hide other people's heads in the sand. They make interesting noises.

whiskeylover
June 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I don't know your situation

Yes, thats true. : ) And no, there were no flames involved.

Tristam Green
June 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM
We can never block you! You are RICEMONSTER!! If anyone blocked you, the result would be like dividing by zero.

sydbat at least understands the concept of something being impossible....

Bump!

How come no one has posted in this thread yet? :confused:

I see what you did there.

RiceMonster
June 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I just found a crucial bug. I tried to block RiceMonster for being a jerk, but I got this message:

We can't help you ignore yourself.

RiceMonster must have used tracer t (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmv8quf_xM) to hack the forum. Unbelievable!

handy
June 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I hide some other people's heads in the sand without them ever knowing. :)

It makes my life more enjoyable, otherwise I wouldn't do it to them.

I chuckle some, especially when I see their name above their blocked post, as some of them do carry on in a diatribe like manner with regard to their pet hobby horse.

You may think that I'm closing my mind to certain ideas of other people that I disagree with. Though that is not true, I'm very much open to new ideas, I just get tired of the same old ideas, especially when they come at me with emotional vigour.

Hello... Is anyone there?

Hello...

Hello...

Frogs Hair
June 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM
It seems that threads that will have a short life are easy to spot most of the time . I don't understand people that create more than one acount to be nasty . or post topics that they afraid too under their own screen name . This happens on all forums.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
It seems that threads that will have a short life are easy to spot most of the time . I don't understand people that create more than one acount to be nasty . or post topics
that they afraid too under their own screen name . This happens on all forums.

I know somebody who has two accounts on another forum and frequently starts arguments with himself. I could tell it was him by his writing and he admitted it privately, but he gets away with it because his two pseudo-identities have contrasting views on almost everything. He even gangs up with other people against himself. His two identities have different friends that don't like each other. I think he may be touched. Funny to watch though. :lol:

handy
June 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Touched?

By himself?

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Touched?

By himself?

Careful - I got an infraction going down that road once, specifically quoting a line from a song by the Divinyls... :D

Simian Man
June 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I know somebody who has two accounts on another forum and frequently starts arguments with himself. I could tell it was him by his writing and he admitted it privately, but he gets away with it because his two pseudo-identities have contrasting views on almost everything. He even gangs up with other people against himself. His two identities have different friends that don't like each other. I think he may be touched. Funny to watch though. :lol:
That's hilarious. Wouldn't the moderators know it's the same person by his IP though? Or is he careful enough to spoof it?

Touched?

By himself?

"Touched" is a euphemism for crazy in many areas.

whiskeylover
June 9th, 2010, 04:42 PM
That's hilarious. Wouldn't the moderators know it's the same person by his IP though? Or is he careful enough to spoof it?

Same IP could also belong to two people behind a shared internet connection.

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I like the block, there are two in this thread that I have blocked. I am sure I am blocked by others thats life eh. Sometimes it is just easier to protect your own instability, by blocking those that will set it off.

sydbat
June 9th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Careful - I got an infraction going down that road once, specifically quoting a line from a song by the Divinyls... :DI was listening to that song the other day. My wife was singing along. I love my wife...

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I love my wife...

So do I! :D I mean, er, my wife... I mean...

I'm blocked now, aren't I.

Dragonbite
June 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM

Sounds like multiple-personalities!

I argue with myself pretty often, but when it ends up a fist fight, I always seem to loose.

In another forum, a thread just got too off-topic from somebody, so my last post was "this is getting too off topic", some of my thoughts, and then "Good bye" and I unsubscribed.

Sure enough he had to post one last time and except for maybe one more post, the thread's been dead since. Best thing to do is let it lay.

handy
June 9th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I like the block, there are two in this thread that I have blocked. I am sure I am blocked by others thats life eh. Sometimes it is just easier to protect your own instability, by blocking those that will set it off.

I don't block due to instability, it just comes down to taste in the end, for me anyway.

Some fruit I really like to eat, other fruit I have tasted & find it to be ok, but I'd prefer to eat something else.

I could extend that analogy but why bother... ;)

handy
June 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I was listening to that song the other day. My wife was singing along. I love my wife...

Sounds like she does too. :)

[Edit:] Nothing personal. :lolflag:

[Edit2:] Boy that's ambiguous.

sydbat
June 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
So do I! :D I mean, er, my wife... I mean...

I'm blocked now, aren't I.Who said that???

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Yeah, it's an antiquarian term for mentally ill. Many ancient or otherwise primitive cultures believed crazy people had been "touched by the gods". Because of this, some held them in high regard and protected them. So my innuendo here was basically, "I think he's crazy, but I think it's kind of neat, so I protect his secret".

The moderators would know if they ever bothered to compare the IPs in use by both accounts, I suppose. Maybe he uses a proxy -- I never asked.

It made me wonder how common this is, and how often I am an unknowing "victim" of someone's manipulation of that sort. Talk about needing to get a life, though. :p

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Who said that???

;) Just joking around. My comedic abilities are marginal at best. :)

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I don't block due to instability, it just comes down to taste in the end, for me anyway.

Some fruit I really like to eat, other fruit I have tasted & find it to be ok, but I'd prefer to eat something else.

I could extend that analogy but why bother... ;)

I have a tendency to have my lips moving or my fingers typing while my brain is in sleep mode.;) And my Ego on high alert.

And I don't have BoneKracker blocked.;)

Dragonbite
June 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah, it's an antiquarian term for mentally ill. Many ancient or otherwise primitive cultures believed crazy people had been "touched by the gods". Because of this, some held them in high regard and protected them. So my innuendo here was basically, "I think he's crazy, but I think it's kind of neat, so I protect his secret".

The moderators would know if they ever bothered to compare the IPs in use by both accounts, I suppose. Maybe he uses a proxy -- I never asked.

It made me wonder how common this is, and how often I am an unknowing "victim" of someone's manipulation of that sort. Talk about needing to get a life, though. :p

You know, you aren't Paranoid if the *ARE* out to get you! :lolflag:

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Talk about needing to get a life, though. :p

How many lives do you want/need? ;)

June 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM

The Mod is Always Right.

Rule #2

from which you have taken them??? :) :lolflag:

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM

If you blocked them, then how do you know they're in this thread?

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM
And I don't have BoneKracker blocked.;)

Most of us need a good BoneKracker, if not a good bone shaker... :)

Well, at least as we get older anyway.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
from which you have taken them??? :) :lolflag:

lol "avatar2"

It's McRat!

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:10 PM
If you blocked them, then how do you know they're in this thread?

You see their name in the title but not the content of their posts.

[Edit:] This can bring a kind of sly glee, when you know that you are avoiding someone's post with content that you have learned that you always disagree with & they don't know that you are. nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk :lol:

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 05:11 PM
What did you say handy? I can't see what you posted. :p

whiskeylover
June 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM
___

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Come on guys, I'm still waiting for a reply?

sydbat
June 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM
;) Just joking around. My comedic abilities are marginal at best. :)Apparently, so are mine. I quoted you and removed your name from the quote. Too subtle??

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I think that if user A blocks user B, then user A should also be blocked from user B (i.e. reciprical blockage). Otherwise, user B could waste his/her time responding to a post by user A, when that response won't even be seen. Wastes system resources, too.

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Apparently, so are mine. I quoted you and removed your name from the quote. Too subtle??

D'Oh! :lol: Nice!

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I think that if user A blocks user B, then user A should also be blocked from user B (i.e. reciprical blockage). Otherwise, user B could waste his/her time responding to a post by user A, when that response won't even be seen. Wastes system resources, too.

I always knew you were a closet environmentalist. :)

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I always knew you were a closet environmentalist. :)

What can I say, I think closets should be clean and have a natural feel. Allows you to fit more servers in there, and the servers will feel more comfortable.

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM
What can I say, I think closets should be clean and have a natural feel. Allows you to fit more servers in there, and the servers will feel more comfortable.

I agree.

Somehow I doubt that you paint yours green, the colour probably doesn't match the wallpaper.

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 05:31 PM
You see their name in the title but not the content of their posts.

[Edit:] This can bring a kind of sly glee, when you know that you are avoiding someone's post with content that you have learned that you always disagree with & they don't know that you are. nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk :lol:

I get this same glee in lurking the resolution area, you will never see me there. I have had two warnings, both were justifiable. If you become a pain to others and are reported, the mods will use a friendly social engineering to get you back on track, it is easy to take this personally when it is for the good of the forum.

I think this thread though now is my second favorite area.

I would also say to that I'm not a fan of passive aggressive retort.;) But thats my own problem.

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I agree.

Somehow I doubt that you paint yours green, the colour probably doesn't match the wallpaper.

True, it wouldn't match my orange and black leopard-skin wallpaper. Plus, it would constitute greenwashing, a common practice among polluters.

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I would also say to that I'm not a fan of passive aggressive retort.;) But thats my own problem.

Providing the people you are communicating with understand where you are coming from, then what looks like passive aggressive to one, is understood to be tongue in cheek to another... if you get my drift? :)

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Don't worry, someday you'll outgrow that.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Just kidding. :lol: :p

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Providing the people you are communicating with understand where you are coming from, then what looks like passive aggressive to one, is understood to be tongue in cheek to another... if you get my drift? :)

No I'm always right just ask me.;) and I'm so pretty, I'm so pretty.

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM
True, it wouldn't match my orange and black leopard-skin wallpaper. Plus, it would constitute greenwashing, a common practice among polluters.

As I was reading your reply I thought you were going to say match my black & "leopard-skin pill box hat".

Too many years of Dylan, oh so many years ago, it would seem...

& I agree, I've never met anyone who wasn't culpable of serious pollution, whether they knew it or not.

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM

What an rrs-hole!

Let's get him Wilee?

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM

As a card carrying puer aeternus, I doubt it. You will have to look that up, if you don't know what it is. It is common for a creative artistic person to have this attribute.

Edit

What & rrs-hole!

Let's get him Wilee? Who?

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Is that the musician's ego you are talking about? ;)

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Is that the musician's ego you are talking about? ;)

One in the same.:-({|=:-\"

Tristam Green
June 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I'm curious how many people have me blocked solely because of my signature :|

RiceMonster
June 9th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I'm curious how many people have me blocked solely because of my signature :|

I did.

McRat
June 9th, 2010, 05:54 PM
There is a common hack that some boards use called the Invisible User Group.

You set permissions so that the target user's posts cannot be seen by anyone but staff.

It makes for some really good reading if you're a Mod/Admin. You watch some clown try to argue with everybody for a few days before they realize nobody can read their rants, then they go ballistic.

Another one is a Miserable User. You write a pHp with a random number generator. 1/2 the time they try to post, it goes to a PAGE NOT FOUND page instead of posting their comment. This one is especially good when the target writes 20 paragraph diatribes constantly.

But those are just like poking a beehive with a stick. It's fun, but doesn't improve the bee's attitude.

What is weird, is that over the last 12 years, I've met a lot of folk via the internet, including my wife. Hundreds literally. Since I frequent racing boards, I meet people from all over the world (seriously) at racetracks.

Some of the biggest PITA's you meet on the interwebbythingy, are great folk in person. Seldom vice-versa though. It's especially sweet when you meet the "If I ever see you, i'm going to stomp you flat" guy, and he's 5'4" 130lb and looking like Don Knotts. It's actually common; I'd say 80% them are Don Knotts.

handy
June 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
i did.

+1

handy
June 9th, 2010, 06:00 PM
There is a common hack that some boards use called the Invisible User Group.

You set permissions so that the target user's posts cannot be seen by anyone but staff.

It makes for some really good reading if you're a Mod/Admin. You watch some clown try to argue with everybody for a few days before they realize nobody can read their rants, then they go ballistic.

Another one is a Miserable User. You write a pHp with a random number generator. 1/2 the time they try to post, it goes to a PAGE NOT FOUND page instead of posting their comment. This one is especially good when the target writes 20 paragraph diatribes constantly.

But those are just like poking a beehive with a stick. It's fun, but doesn't improve the bee's attitude.

What is weird, is that over the last 12 years, I've met a lot of folk via the internet, including my wife. Hundreds literally. Since I frequent racing boards, I meet people from all over the world (seriously) at racetracks.

Some of the biggest PITA's you meet on the interwebbythingy, are great folk in person. Seldom vice-versa though. It's especially sweet when you meet the "If I ever see you, i'm going to stomp you flat" guy, and he's 5'4" 130lb and looking like Don Knotts. It's actually common; I'd say 80% them are Don Knotts.

I love it McRat. You have just broadened my horizons.

Thank you. :D

By the way, I'm a direct descendant of Norseman, Leod the ugly, who are you descended from? :lolflag:

Tristam Green
June 9th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I did.

oh noes

+1

what to do?

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 06:04 PM
It's especially sweet when you meet the "If I ever see you, i'm going to stomp you flat" guy, and he's 5'4" 130lb and looking like Don Knotts. It's actually common; I'd say 80% them are Don Knotts.

...but Don Knotts has that Karate Chop thing going on, so...

Sporkman
June 9th, 2010, 06:04 PM
oh noes

what to do?

Why - because of the Linsux or the Windows 7 Professional?

Tristam Green
June 9th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Why - because of the Linsux or the Windows 7 Professional?

Power Rangers. geez, what are you looking at? :|

handy
June 9th, 2010, 06:10 PM
what to do?

Sorry, what did you say?

handy
June 9th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Power Rangers. geez, what are you looking at? :|

:confused::confused: :lolflag:

Oops, I forgot...

Ok, I'll admit it, I didn't really block you.

McRat
June 9th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I love it McRat. You have just broadened my horizons.

Thank you. :D

By the way, I'm a direct descendant of Norseman, Leod the ugly, who are you descended from? :lolflag:

I'm a fifth Scotch. On the rocks usually. :(

McRat
June 9th, 2010, 06:17 PM
...but Don Knotts has that Karate Chop thing going on, so...

Hmmm... It wasn't the Incredible Mr. Limpet...

But he could blow up Nazis by yelling at them; something I think a lot of interwebbythingy folk think is doable...:confused:

handy
June 9th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'm a fifth Scotch. On the rocks usually. :(

For a moment I thought I was talking to whiskylover.

sydbat
June 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM

But he could blow up Nazis by yelling at them; something I think a lot of interwebbythingy folk think is doable...:confused:Until he lost his glasses...

Elfy
June 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
oh noes

what to do?

remove this bit

Acer AspireOne AOD150 - Intel Atom N280 1.6GHz | Intel Graphics

handy
June 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM

But he could blow up Nazis by yelling at them; something I think a lot of interwebbythingy folk think is doable...:confused:

Can I invoke Godwin's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law) from the above?

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 06:25 PM
remove this bit

:lolflag:

whiskeylover
June 9th, 2010, 06:27 PM
For a moment I thought I was talking to whiskylover.

Glad to know I'm not the one with the head in the sand... or am I :-|

McRat
June 9th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Here's a good Moderator Technique until you get caught:

USER: "I hate ALL of YOU@@@!!! YOU ARE SO UNFAIR!! I WANT MY FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS!!!"

Staffer: "I'm really sorry you feel that way, but I as a mod, I need to enforce the board rules, I hope you understand." Get a life you jerk...

Quote this post and look carefully.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 06:29 PM

That's what I figured he was talking about, who cares about Power Rangers.

handy
June 9th, 2010, 06:33 PM

I like your signature.

Have you noticed Misfit138's sig'?

"I may have faults, but being wrong ain't one of them." -Jimmy Hoffa

McRat
June 9th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Another one:

Edit a hostile post in an embarrassing fashion. Then quote it looking confused. This works best if Mod Edit Listing is off.

Before:

Someday, I'll find you and beat you to a pulp!

After:

Someday, I'd like to take a long hot bath with you.):P

:confused:

HOWEVER, this stuff has the same beehive effect. While fun, it doesn't do much.

handy
June 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Glad to know I'm not the one with the head in the sand... or am I :-|

I've just got used to talking with my mouth full.

Tristam Green
June 9th, 2010, 06:36 PM
remove this bit

why? it's a great little netbook.

murderslastcrow
June 9th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Lol, I usually let the lunatics talk themselves out of breath. Some sentences truly deserve no more response than "cool story, bro."

sydbat
June 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Lol, I usually let the lunatics talk themselves out of breath. Some sentences truly deserve no more response than "cool story, bro."Cool story, bro.

Wait...who said that...?

RiceMonster
June 9th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Cool story, bro.

Wait...who said that...?

Well I would certainly never say that!

McRat
June 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM
naw... ;)

handy
June 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Another one:

Edit a hostile post in an embarrassing fashion. Then quote it looking confused. This works best if Mod Edit Listing is off.

Before:

Someday, I'll find you and beat you to a pulp!

After:

Someday, I'd like to take a long hot bath with you.

HOWEVER, this stuff has the same beehive effect. While fun, it doesn't do much.

You did it, you made me kak myself (not literally). :lolflag:

handy
June 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM
More lunatics required?

sidzen
June 9th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Last time I buried my head in the sand, I woke up drunk and in jail over some anti-Constitutional law passed under the new McCarhyism of the last Shrub (. . . er, bush?)

We're all spiritually sick individuals, just some more or differently than myself. Who am I to condemn?

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I like your signature.

Have you noticed Misfit138's sig'?

"I may have faults, but being wrong ain't one of them." -Jimmy Hoffa

Stuart Smalley is a caring nurturer, a member of several 12 step programs, but not a licensed therapist. ;)

murderslastcrow
June 9th, 2010, 06:51 PM
True dat. I think people are, in general, fine with morons so long as they realize they're acting stupid in the first place. It's the oblivious and shameless attitude toward one's own lack of decency that I think upsets some of us.

Truly, much of the fault lies in us for seeing them this way.

handy
June 9th, 2010, 06:59 PM
"It's the oblivious and shameless attitude toward one's own lack of decency that I think upsets some of us."

Boy that's a line.

Oblivious?

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
"It's the oblivious and shameless attitude toward one's own lack of decency that I think upsets some of us."

Boy that's a line.

Oblivious?

"The oblivious
pool."
Milton.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Last time I buried my head in the sand, I woke up drunk and in jail over some anti-Constitutional law passed under the new McCarhyism of the last Shrub (. . . er, bush?)
Well we've been saved from all that now, right?

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 07:26 PM
platypus rex

(duplicate post, so I figured I might as well say something)

handy
June 9th, 2010, 07:35 PM
platypus rex

What? Monotremes don't do that.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 07:44 PM
What? Monotremes don't do that.

Hey, I think I'll change my username to that.

platypus rex

Has a nice ring to it.

(Bonekracker is a carry-over from an FPS in which I repeatedly fell of the same bridge and heard the sounds of my bones cracking as I hit.)

Ack! Avatar:

http://www.flat3.org/b3ta/monotreme.jpg

handy
June 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM
That's one wild albino eyed echidna you have there in your photo.

Echidnas are the cutest most gentle, friendly & playful creatures. I love them. :)

They have dreadful eyesight & use their nose & tongue to sense what is going on around them. Apart from what they feel through their feet & the rest of their body of course.

I could never do justice to their beauty with my words.

Groucho Marxist
June 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
This inbuilt ability of the forum BB software to block the posts of the offensive & insensitive members of the forum that are obviously suffering from medically documented syndromes, which everyone except their mothers & their legal teams are aware of is a cause for great relief for those of us who are free from such disturbance.

Knowing & understanding that the afflicted are what they are, makes it so much easier for us. We who are motivated by the goodness in our hearts should try to help them whenever we can, & do what we can in an effort to ignore the insanity that they live by.

My favorite part was the disguise of ad hominem rhetoric as respectful discourse.

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 08:48 PM
My favorite part was the disguise of ad hominem rhetoric as respectful discourse.

Like looking the mirror eh.:lolflag:

Groucho Marxist
June 9th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Like looking the mirror eh.:lolflag:
The difference is that I never attacked anyone. Describing posters as "Trolls" "that are obviously suffering from medically documented syndromes" is anything but respectful.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM

That's an art form.

Sam Fallow
June 9th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I use the blocking button on other fora that frequent, (those few that just have noting valid to contribute, informative or humorous) but this place is huge and I don't know enough about Ubuntu to block out any advice.

I'm getting much better at it and now have a perfectly working system but that is thanks to the many contributors here.

If I block you, you'll be the first to know.

regards

Sam.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM
The difference is that I never attacked anyone. Describing posters as "Trolls" "that are obviously suffering from medically documented syndromes" is anything but respectful.

Eager to be a victim? How do you know he was talking about you?

McRat
June 9th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Could everybody block me for week so I can get some work done? :p

NightwishFan
June 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Not a chance McRat.. Not a chance. *Pokes*

Groucho Marxist
June 9th, 2010, 09:09 PM

No, as that claim is unsubstantiated. I am discussing the issue of ad hominem v. rationally-based communication.

sydbat
June 9th, 2010, 09:10 PM

No, as that claim is unsubstantiated. I am discussing the issue of ad hominem v. rationally-based communication.Someone needs a hug.

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM

First I will say you win the transference and projection gold star.:KS

When you read into something with your own reality which we all do at the least, the recognition of this; benefits you the best. Nowhere in the quote is the word troll used, and you have cherry picked a comment that in it's mass is a fair look with humility at this topic. But if you look at things from a pseudo black and white logic which all logic may be anyway you are subject to this perception.

The word troll is used in the original post but prefaced with a personal opinion, not as a social norm definition. You criticize the use of this word but leave out the actual use of it contextually, what gives here?

Edit: Rational discourse can you give a definition of this, I don't think it exists it is a fallacy. No discourse is empty from emotional content, and personal attributes, unless you have no emotions, or a well made persona that seems to provide this fallacy, but this is like the emperors new clothes we all see through it.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Could everybody block me for week so I can get some work done? :p

Just get yourself banned.

It works great. I got my last two projects done rapidly while banned from another Linux forum (for this):
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-811833.html

Groucho Marxist
June 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Someone needs a hug.

None of the examples I have given were taken personally by me nor do they reflect anything about my person. I have, however, given external examples of logical fallacies which exist on Ubuntu Forums to illustrate a point.

NightwishFan
June 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Why would you post that? If that was your real IP you are allowing others to unwittingly make themselves vulnerable to anyone viewing the thread. It is like baiting someone to try something bad for them.

Since that was not your IP, and one from a government organization, someones attempt on that or even harmless probing could be considered a breach of national security, and could even cause someone to lose their rights and freedom.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 09:21 PM

When you read into something with your own reality which we all do at the least, the recognition of this; benefits you the best. Nowhere in the quote is the word troll used, and you have cherry picked a comment that in it's mass is a fair look with humility at this topic. But if you look at things from a pseudo black and white logic which all logic may be anyway you are subject to this perception.

The word troll is used in the original post but prefaced with a personal opinion, not as a social norm definition. You criticize the use of this word but leave out the actual use of it contextually, what gives here?

Edit: Rational discourse can you give a definition of this, I don't think it exists it is a fallacy. No discourse is empty from emotional content, and personal attributes, unless you have no emotions, or a well made persona that seems to provide this fallacy, but this is like the emperors new clothes we all see through it.

And not only that, he didn't cite a credible source of empirical statistical evidence to substantiate his claim.

(You forgot that one.) :p

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM
None of the examples I have given were taken personally by me nor do they reflect anything about my person. I have, however, given external examples of logical fallacies which exist on Ubuntu Forums to illustrate a point.
That's good. Raise the intellectual level of discussion.

But have you ever caught someone engaged in the "butt-wiping fallacy"?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9428101&highlight=butt-wiping#post9428101

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Why would you post that? If that was your real IP you are allowing others to unwittingly make themselves vulnerable to anyone viewing the thread. It is like baiting someone to try something bad for them.
Yeah, that was the idea. That forum is filled with people doing and saying semi-hostile things to each other. They were all very advanced linux users who shouldn't have fallen for it. It was a joke, and I stopped it before it even got close to going too far (but I got banned anyway, because it was stepping into a gray area no forum administrator wants their forum to go).

Since that was not your IP, and one from a government organization, someones attempt on that or even harmless probing could be considered a breach of national security, and could even cause someone to lose their rights and freedom.

Take a chill pill. If you really look into it, you'll see it's nothing but an AT&T web server hosting some innocuous public information pages, and you can be sure it weathers a constant storm of such probing 24-hours a day, like every other big web server on the net. Furthermore, the IP address is in public DNS, and port-scanning is neither illegal nor a "threat to national security". No way anybody is going to "lose their rights and freedom" over that. It goes on 24 hours a day, and if you don't believe me, look at any firewall log.

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
And not only that, he didn't cite a credible source of empirical statistical evidence to substantiate his claim.

(You forgot that one.) :p

I use it to much as a ego based stance, it does get tiresome propping up my arguments with it at times.

No, no wait none of this is me actually but rational discourse.:lolflag:

gnomeuser
June 9th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I have the most vocal repeaters of anti-mono fud blocked, simply because serial repetition doesn't get true just because it's typed in all caps. If I didn't do this my blood pressure would suffer considerably and I wouldn't find this place the least bit enjoyable.

I also make sure to go back over the history of posts of anyone who requests friendship, mainly to get to know the person but also to weed out peddlers of nonsense.

That being said, as someone who actually does suffer from a medical condition I do find Handy' original post a bit offensive. It's far to kind to write off trolls with excusable medical conditions, most of them are simply the right mix of ignorance, loudness and anonymity.

NightwishFan
June 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
No, at the very least it was highly inappropriate. It is not my place to scold you or my business, so I will say no more.

Groucho Marxist
June 9th, 2010, 09:41 PM

Would you be so kind as to remove the sarcasm from your posts? Beyond diverting attention from the subject under discussion, it serves no useful purpose.

When you read into something with your own reality which we all do at the least, the recognition of this; benefits you the best.

Would you be so kind as to rephrase this statement? The wording is unclear in its present construction.

Nowhere in the quote is the word troll used...

In actuality, it does state the phrase in question (Underlined for emphasis):

What is it you may ask?

It is the ability to block the input from people that we as individuals consider to be trolls; or as is far more common, those people that are just plain obnoxious as far as our personal sensibilities are concerned.

and you have cherry picked a comment that in it's mass is a fair look with humility at this topic.

Humility is hardly the word to use to describe such usage.

Edit: Rational discourse can you give a definition of this...
Sure.

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines Rational as "relating to, based on, or agreeable to reason." On that note, the same dictionary defines Discourse as "formal and orderly and usually extended expression of thought on a subject." Hence, the term "rational discourse" would relate to a "formal, orderly expression of thought on a subject based on or agreeable to reason."

I don't think it exists it is a fallacy. No discourse is empty from emotional content, and personal attributes, unless you have no emotions, or a well made persona that seems to provide this fallacy, but this is like the emperors new clothes we all see through it.

I never said that I was lacking in emotions. I am constructing a rational debate describing how the very act of using a personal attack to illustrate how frustrating personal attacks are is ironic. I have removed emotional examples from my argument because it is irrelevant to the subject at hand; namely, the description of users as those with legally defined dementia.

Thank you, for this discussion; it has been most enlightening.

BoneKracker
June 9th, 2010, 09:45 PM
No, at the very least it was highly inappropriate. It is not my place to scold you or my business, so I will say no more.
In terms of forum rules, that place is one step up from 4chan. On the other hand, they have some really interesting discussions because such freedom is allowed (politics, religion, national denigration, etc.) -- all the stuff that's verbotten here. And as a consequence, banning is very frequent.

I posted the story here because I thought it was funny. I guess it wasn't. Sorry.

McRat
June 9th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Thoughts on Political/Religion rules:

If your board is a "work board", that is, it's primary purpose is the exchange of tech info, having an Anything Goes area doesn't work.

Joe says "Well only an idiot would think Hinduism is a real religion!"

Bob say "Well only an idiot would buy into the LDS b.s.!"

Both are deeply offended at each other's comments, so...

"What do you think about Goodyear Eagle F1 tires?"

Bob - "I've done extensive testing on them. You will find they work as good as the Kumhos, but you need to shave them, and run 34psi front, and 28psi rear."

Joe - "Don't listen to Bob. He was 4th in the last race and was beaten by a rookie. There were only 5 cars in his class!"

Bob - "Bad clutch you idiot. What was your excuse? You should have run 1st with all your experience, eh?"

BAM!!! There it goes. Two smart guys with a lot of info to share suddenly turn tech threads into war zones. It doesn't end until one of the leaves.

But for fun sites? There are hundreds of sites that cater to hot debates, and they are very popular. I see no problem with pulling the gloves off now and then, as long as the members are mature enough to defend themselves.

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 10:06 PM
@Groucho Marxist I could cherry pick through your response and use a whole series of arguments that are considered as valid as a rational discourse, but supported by research that falls within the scientific method, but to be honest it is a waste of time.

Love the last sentence though it is just as charged as the one you accuse me of being sarcastic in. But I recognize that I'm reading into it.

Out of respect for the OP and the thread I will detach from you at this point as I can see this being a argument that is going nowhere and could lead to getting the thread closed. Like having the ability to block those we may personally disagree with, the recognition of a other that is using a argument that is no better then your own, and chocked full of personal issues is a waste of time. If you don't understand some of my comments, I can only hope that at sometime you get the chance to.

BoneKracker
June 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Thoughts on Political/Religion rules:

If your board is a "work board", that is, it's primary purpose is the exchange of tech info, having an Anything Goes area doesn't work.

Joe says "Well only an idiot would think Hinduism is a real religion!"

Bob say "Well only an idiot would buy into the LDS b.s.!"

Both are deeply offended at each other's comments, so...

"What do you think about Goodyear Eagle F1 tires?"

Bob - "I've done extensive testing on them. You will find they work as good as the Kumhos, but you need to shave them, and run 34psi front, and 28psi rear."

Joe - "Don't listen to Bob. He was 4th in the last race and was beaten by a rookie. There were only 5 cars in his class!"

Bob - "Bad clutch you idiot. What was your excuse? You should have run 1st with all your experience, eh?"

BAM!!! There it goes. Two smart guys with a lot of info to share suddenly turn tech threads into war zones. It doesn't end until one of the leaves.

But for fun sites? There are hundreds of sites that cater to hot debates, and they are very popular. I see no problem with pulling the gloves off now and then, as long as the members are mature enough to defend themselves.

So, in other words, this forum should be deleted (the "Community Cafe")?

Putting politics and religion off-limits cuts down on a lot of the trouble, but it doesn't eliminate it (as we can see clearly right here). You can have a ******* contest over who's interpretation of the ISO C standard is correct just as easily over who's definition of "libertarian" is correct.

That other place is the same as here: tech support talk in a lot of tech support forums, with one forum for whatever people feel like talking about. They just have separate rules for the "whatever" forum that are looser.

Also, your examples above do not apply. They include direct personal attacks, which are forbidden and grounds for immediate banning. Anybody calling another member an "idiot" (or anything else) is gone for a lengthy vacation.

McRat
June 10th, 2010, 01:22 AM
So, in other words, this forum should be deleted (the "Community Cafe")?

Putting politics and religion off-limits cuts down on a lot of the trouble, but it doesn't eliminate it (as we can see clearly right here). You can have a ******* contest over who's interpretation of the ISO C standard is correct just as easily over who's definition of "libertarian" is correct.

That other place is the same as here: tech support talk in a lot of tech support forums, with one forum for whatever people feel like talking about. They just have separate rules for the "whatever" forum that are looser.

Also, your examples above do not apply. They include direct personal attacks, which are forbidden and grounds for immediate banning. Anybody calling another member an "idiot" (or anything else) is gone for a lengthy vacation.

Well, I guess the difference is people are killing each other over politics and religion as we sit here typing. It gets folks panties twisted a bit tighter than C language syntax, but I'll admit I've heard about a fist fight over a turbocharger ...

ibuclaw
June 10th, 2010, 01:34 AM

Who are you talking to? Who's RiceMonster? :p

JDShu
June 10th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I think that many forum disputes would be settled if everyone just realized that I am always right.

McRat
June 10th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. Noboby's perfict.

Sporkman
June 10th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Division by zero is undefined.

handy
June 10th, 2010, 02:31 AM

You can say just about anything on the UF, if you use the right words. :)

I could have said the same thing in a rude & disrespectful manner which would have got me an infraction & wouldn't have been any fun at all. :popcorn:

Everybody is somebody else's idiot... :lolflag:

handy
June 10th, 2010, 02:54 AM

Upon rising I'm reading through this thread again & getting to the new stuff; I've got tears in my eyes from laughter. Good stuff.

handy
June 10th, 2010, 03:00 AM
That's good. Raise the intellectual level of discussion.

But have you ever caught someone engaged in the "butt-wiping fallacy"?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9428101&highlight=butt-wiping#post9428101

Is that their own butt?

If not it must be a long fallacy... :confused:

handy
June 10th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I have the most vocal repeaters of anti-mono fud blocked, simply because serial repetition doesn't get true just because it's typed in all caps. If I didn't do this my blood pressure would suffer considerably and I wouldn't find this place the least bit enjoyable.

I also make sure to go back over the history of posts of anyone who requests friendship, mainly to get to know the person but also to weed out peddlers of nonsense.

That being said, as someone who actually does suffer from a medical condition I do find Handy' original post a bit offensive. It's far to kind to write off trolls with excusable medical conditions, most of them are simply the right mix of ignorance, loudness and anonymity.

Sorry gnomeuser, no genuine offence intended. This thread is intended to be light hearted, giving us the opportunity to make fun of ourselves & each other. It is too easy to take ourselves seriously. :popcorn:

Be careful though, many of the posters in this thread have a hair trigger on their ignore button, you know the types, shoot first ask questions later. Over-sensitive red necks by the look of 'em. :)

Good medicine. :KS

[Edit:] I just reread this & couldn't believe that I wrote "over-sensitive red necks"! :lolflag:

TheNosh
June 10th, 2010, 03:45 AM
many of the posters in this thread have a hair trigger on their ignore button, you know the types, shoot first ask questions later.

so they're plan is you be sure to ignore the answers once they've asked questions? :D

handy
June 10th, 2010, 04:09 AM
so their plan is you be sure to ignore the answers once they've asked questions? :D

& here lies a conundrum, no its not a conundrum it is a dilemma:

How do you know if you should have ignored a poster until you have looked at it?

I'm trying to find a better solution to this than empirical evidence, which is my current MO.

I'll get back to you when I find it...

[Edit:] TheNosh, that is a great avatar you have there.

handy
June 10th, 2010, 04:35 AM

I was on staff at another forum for a while, & there is an administrator there that is a total dork; rude, egotistical, immature, cursed with dreadful people skills in general. The last person you want interfacing with the public, he is probably a good technician & should focus on doing that imho.

Anyway, I couldn't block him because he was staff, but since I have been demoted to just a joe forum user I found that I could block him, & he's an administrator! :D

I'm sure he could still PM me & such, but he will never have a need to, because I'm so good. :---)

handy
June 10th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Same here, plus are you sure they are trolls, or just people with valid (or semi-valid) but distasteful information/opinions?

Some people have a hobby horse or two & given the slightest opportunity say all of the same things in great detail over again to the same people, & again, I can block them as it gives me a possibly perverse pleasure.

I just thought of lines from two different songs:

If you start me up
If you start me up I'll never stop
If you start me up
I've been running hot
You got me ticking gonna blow my top
If you start me up

You make a grown man cry
Spread out the oil, the gasoline
I walk smooth, ride in a mean, mean machine
Start it up

If you start it up
Kick on the starter give it all you got, you got, you got
I can't compete with the riders in the other heats
If you rough it up
If you like it you can slide it up, slide it up

Don't make a grown man cry
My eyes dilate, my lips go green
My hands are greasy
She's a mean, mean machine
Start it up

If start me up
Give it all you got
You got to never, never, never stop
Never, never
Slide it up

You make a grown man cry
Ride like the wind at double speed
I'll take you places that you've never, never seen
Start it up
Love the day when we will never stop, never stop
Never stop, never stop
Tough me up
Never stop, never stop, never stop

You, you, you make a grown man cry
You, you make a dead man come
You, you make a dead man come

And:

I've got the power hey yeah heh
I've got the power
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh yeah-eah-eah-eah-eah-eah
I've got the power
Gettin' kinda heavy

It's gettin' it's gettin' it's gettin' kinda hectic

Like the crack of the whip I snap attack
Front to back in this thing called rap
Dig it like a shovel rhyme devil
On a heavenly level
Bang the bass turn up the treble
Radical mind day and night all the time
Seven to fourteen wise divine
Maniac brainiac winning the game
I'm the lyrical Jesse James

I've got the power
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh yeah
Gettin' kinda heavy
I've got the power

It's gettin' it's gettin' it's gettin' kinda heavy

I've got the power
He's gonna break my heart
He's gonna break my heart of hearts
He's got the power oh-oh-oh-oh

I've got the power
I've got the power

Quality I possess something I'm fresh
When my voice goes through the rest
Of the microphone that I am holdin'
Copywritten lyrics so they can't be stolen
If they are snap
Don't need the police to try to save them
Your voice will seize so please stay off my back
Or I will attack and you don't want that

I've got the power

I've got the power

I've got the power

wilee-nilee
June 10th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I was on staff at another forum for a while, & there is an administrator there that is a total dork; rude, egotistical, immature, cursed with dreadful people skills in general. The last person you want interfacing with the public, he is probably a good technician & should focus on doing that imho.

Anyway, I couldn't block him because he was staff, but since I have been demoted to just a joe forum user I found that I could block him, & he's an administrator! :D

I'm sure he could still PM me & such, but he will never have a need to, because I'm so good. :---)

:-\":-\":-\"

handy
June 10th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I was admin of a PES (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Evolution_Soccer_%28series%29)-related site some time ago and I also used to keep the "why I edited/deleted this post" discussion private, when I had to edit/delete posts.

Boy, that could have been a hot forum with such a prime topic.

I know how much fun those types of discussions used to be when the Backyard existed here. :)

TheNosh
June 10th, 2010, 04:59 AM
thanks, i made it myself. your avatar is pretty nice as well, and being an art student, i know you didn't make it yourself :), but that's fine too.

if this is about what i think it's about, i disagree with your assessment of the admin in question and feel that you are likely judging his entire character based on only a few actions. however, this wouldn't really be the place to discuss it, so i'll leave it at that.

handy
June 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM
thanks, i made it myself. your avatar is pretty nice as well, and being an art student, i know you didn't make it yourself :), but that's fine too.

I wish I had of made it myself. :)

if this is about what i think it's about, i disagree with your assessment of the admin in question and feel that you are likely judging his entire character based on only a few actions. however, this wouldn't really be the place to discuss it, so i'll leave it at that.

I agree on all counts, I really shouldn't have bought it up as it is unfair.

Like the rest of us, I can only call 'em as I see 'em with my limited vision.

TheNosh
June 10th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I wish I had of made it myself. :)

your ears are probably in better shape than his were though. ;)
you win some, you lose some.

handy
June 10th, 2010, 05:33 AM
your ears are probably in better shape than his were though. ;)
you win some, you lose some.

His probably worked ok though...

I'd go for no external ear meat & good hearing any day.

[Edit:] I expect that you have a large image of your avatar. If so, can I have a copy? It really appeals to me. I won't use it as an avatar, I'd just like to look at it on my screen from time to time. :)

I find it to incorporate profound symbols.

NightwishFan
June 10th, 2010, 05:39 AM
*Plays Song Of Storms*

TheNosh
June 10th, 2010, 05:48 AM
[Edit:] I expect that you have a large image of your avatar. If so, can I have a copy? It really appeals to me. I won't use it as an avatar, I'd just like to look at it on my screen from time to time. :)

I find it to incorporate profound symbols.

there you go.

all the symbols are from Legend of Zelda, so i suppose how profound they are would have to do with how much you read into Hylian spirituality in the game, or the real world things that inspired it for that matter. anyway, there's the large version. it has transparencies, so if you don't open it in a new tab it looks kinda strange.

(oddly enough, i initially made it at avatar size, and then i scaled it up one day when i was bored.)

*Plays Song Of Storms*

oh no. the man in the windmill is not going to be happy about that.

handy
June 10th, 2010, 06:24 AM
there you go.

all the symbols are from Legend of Zelda, so i suppose how profound they are would have to do with how much you read into Hylian spirituality in the game, or the real world things that inspired it for that matter. anyway, there's the large version. it has transparencies, so if you don't open it in a new tab it looks kinda strange.

Yes, when I view it in GQView it doesn't have the background colour, I get a grey & white chequerboard background unfortunately.

You could put a background colour on it? :)

& yes it incorporates profound, ancient symbolism, which the game has borrowed from antiquity.

wilee-nilee
June 10th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Not a bad song if your into these guys.

King Crimson Indiscipline
I do remember one thing.
It took hours and hours but..
by the time I was done with it

I was so involved
I didn't know what to think.
I carried it around with me
for days and days..
playing little games
like not looking at it for a whole day
and then.. looking at it.
to see if I still liked it.
I did.

I repeat myself when under stress.
I repeat..
The more I look at it

the more I like it.
I do think it's good.
The fact is..
no matter how closely I study it

no matter how I take it apart

no matter how I break it down

It remains consistent.
I wish you were here to see it.

I like it.

TheNosh
June 10th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Yes, when I view it in GQView it doesn't have the background colour, I get a grey & white chequerboard background unfortunately.

You could put a background colour on it? :)

& yes it incorporates profound, ancient symbolism, which the game has borrowed from antiquity.

http://sirnosh.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2pdk9j

here it is with a grey background, if there's another particular colour you'd like, feel free to place the transparent one onto whatever colour you'd like. :)

handy
June 10th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks TheNosh, that is great. :)

BoneKracker
June 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM
& here lies a conundrum, no its not a conundrum it is a dilemma:

How do you know if you should have ignored a poster until you have looked at it?

I'm trying to find a better solution to this than empirical evidence, which is my current MO.

I'll get back to you when I find it...

That's neither a "conundrum" nor a "dilemma"; it's a paradox, and for you urban literati, that doesn't mean this...

http://www.ruralheritage.com/ox_paddock/highlandb.jpg

handy
June 10th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Yes, I had considered that it may have been a pairofoxen.

Thank you for enlightening me. :idea:

Actually they look more like heavy Scottish highland cattle who's name I can't quite remember?

Our neighbour had a pair of them in the past...

NightwishFan
June 10th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Don get trampled by the heeland coo!

BoneKracker
June 10th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Actually they look more like heavy Scottish highland cattle who's name I can't quite remember?
Highland Scottish Oxen

Although I guess in ghetto-speak it would actually be "pair a dem ox", not "pair a da ox".

In redneck it would be "Bessie and Gertie".

Sealbhach
June 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Indeed, I spent many happy hours in the Court of the Crimson King.

Louisraritan
June 10th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Wow, look how this thread evolved from an anti-troll soapbox to a creative writing open keyboard night. Seems to be the spirit of Ubuntu everywhere I look. What a cool niche in the web world. International: there are people from all over the world, Europe, East Europe, Asia, Middle East and USA. All interacting peacefully with a common fascination for technology, helping others, asking questions and writing. Ubuntu and the forums have transcended the political barriers and handed the common person a way to reach out to people that we would otherwise never meet. I look at it like a grass roots international summit of sorts. There will always be people inclined to start trouble but I think the charm and good nature of the Ubuntu community will win them over ultimately. Can tell by the technological refugees crossing the Linux/Ubuntu border every day. As a veteran of conflict and avid news junky, it feels good to be part of a peaceful contribution to the world.

BoneKracker
June 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Wow, look how this thread evolved from an anti-troll soapbox to a creative writing open keyboard night. Seems to be the spirit of Ubuntu everywhere I look. What a cool niche in the web world. International: there are people from all over the world, Europe, East Europe, Asia, Middle East and USA. All interacting peacefully with a common fascination for technology, helping others, asking questions and writing. Ubuntu and the forums have transcended the political barriers and handed the common person a way to reach out to people that we would otherwise never meet. I look at it like a grass roots international summit of sorts. There will always be people inclined to start trouble but I think the charm and good nature of the Ubuntu community will win them over ultimately. Can tell by the technological refugees crossing the Linux/Ubuntu border every day.
Yankee Go Home!

handy
June 10th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Indeed, I spent many happy hours in the Court of the Crimson King.

Me too, I still have the LP, though I don't have anything to play it on... lol

I've actually kept a milk crate full of albums (sold the rest when I saw CDs coming) that are (were) treasures to me once.

handy
June 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Wow, look how this thread evolved from an anti-troll soapbox to a creative writing open keyboard night. Seems to be the spirit of Ubuntu everywhere I look. What a cool niche in the web world. International: there are people from all over the world, Europe, East Europe, Asia, Middle East and USA. All interacting peacefully with a common fascination for technology, helping others, asking questions and writing. Ubuntu and the forums have transcended the political barriers and handed the common person a way to reach out to people that we would otherwise never meet. I look at it like a grass roots international summit of sorts. There will always be people inclined to start trouble but I think the charm and good nature of the Ubuntu community will win them over ultimately. Can tell by the technological refugees crossing the Linux/Ubuntu border every day. As a veteran of conflict and avid news junky, it feels good to be part of a peaceful contribution to the world.

Watch it buddy, another post like that & we'll all put you on our ignore list!

Louisraritan
June 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Yankee Go Home!

http://www.topnews.in/usa/files/hillary_clinton.13.jpg

handy
June 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I'm at home & I live in Oz. :)

I wonder if the polley minders teach them how to wave too?

Louisraritan
June 10th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Nice to meet you. ):P

handy
June 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Nice to meet you. ):P

You too. Glad you found the forum. :)

There are some really nice regulars here & others that I can't see anymore... :lolflag:

Tristam Green
June 10th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Division by zero is undefined.

Careful with that. You might blow some minds.

You're....kidding, right?

handy
June 10th, 2010, 12:54 PM
You're....kidding, right?

It all comes down to what you're used to I think.

I've gone camping & found my self thinking, hmm, home is more peaceful than this.

Some people don't like peace. Others find the same camping area to be a heavenly getaway from their stressful home/work environment.

Amazing how the same environment can be seen in so many different ways.

The UF was a great big mystery to me when I first found it. It took me a couple of years to find the Backyard! lol

Though, I must admit, my sense of direction has definitely deteriorated with age.

Tristam Green
June 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Though, I must admit, my sense of direction has definitely deteriorated with age.

That's okay, it shows but is forgivable.

handy
June 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM
That's okay, it shows but is forgivable.

Is it my fault?

Louisraritan
June 10th, 2010, 02:39 PM
You are kidding right?

No, I am not. Perhaps you are used to it already which is good. I see the playing field a little differently. Regardless, is nice to see that some things are still good.

ibuclaw
June 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Talk
It's only talk.

Arguments
Agreements
Advice
Answers

Banter
Boulderdash
Ballyhoo
Bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker...

Comments
Conversation
Contradiction
Criticism

Debates
Discussions
Diatribe
Double talk, Double talk

Expressions
Expugnations
Exclamations
Enfadulations

It's all talk. :)

BoneKracker
June 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Talk
It's only talk.

Arguments
Agreements
Advice
Answers

Banter
Boulderdash
Ballyhoo
Bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker...

Comments
Conversation
Contradiction
Criticism

Debates
Discussions
Diatribe
Double talk, Double talk

Expressions
Expugnations
Exclamations
Enfadulations

It's all talk. :)

Perfect. You tied two things together with that selection.

handy
June 10th, 2010, 03:06 PM
You are kidding right?

No, I am not. Perhaps you are used to it already which is good. I see the playing field a little differently. Regardless, is nice to see that some things are still good.

I agree, it is certainly nice to find any field where we can work together to create something better.

I'm not talking about Ubuntu I'm talking about human relationships.

In this instance only with those whose posts I can see though... :lolflag:

handy
June 10th, 2010, 03:09 PM
@ibuclaw: Brilliant post!

Louisraritan
June 10th, 2010, 03:24 PM
0/0 is cool but what is it in relation too? The way I took it was that this is a free operating system that anyone with a pc can install and use. Sure, Americans have it good in terms of creature comfort but what about the villager with access to a community internet cafe using Ubuntu? How much value would you place on that? All the sudden there is a whole world out there that wasn't there before. All because some smart person made a positive contribution. I can spend hours contemplating the positive impact of knowledge and awareness for people that don't have it yet.

BoneKracker
June 10th, 2010, 03:38 PM
@ibuclaw: Brilliant post!

Kissing the mod's butt is fail if somebody else already beat you to it. :?

handy
June 10th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Kissing the mod's butt is fail if somebody else already beat you to it. :?

Brown nose.

BoneKracker
June 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Brown nose.

Here's you: :^o

whiskeylover
June 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Lol

handy
June 10th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Here's you: :^o

A nasal erection!

Or perhaps an olfactory construction. That doesn't bear thinking about.

McRat
June 10th, 2010, 04:35 PM
The difference between brown-nosing and azz-kissing is a matter of depth perception.

BoneKracker
June 10th, 2010, 05:00 PM
The difference between brown-nosing and azz-kissing is a matter of depth perception.

:lol:

That and enthusiasm.

whiskeylover
June 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM
:lol:

That and enthusiasm.

And willingness to "go all the way"

sydbat
June 10th, 2010, 05:16 PM
And willingness to "go all the way"oK. Y are we going there again?

handy
June 10th, 2010, 06:39 PM

I have a theory that says the size of the gluteus maximus dictates to a large part (on some larger than others) the contours surrounding the bifurcation of the gluteal. These variables in combination with the distance that a nose protrudes from the face of an individual, can be all it takes to differentiate a brown noser from an rrrs kisser.

Therefore I posit that there exists a strong possibility that many brown nosers & rrrs kissers are only that way due to the interface of the two individual physiques. To put it bluntly, the size of the snoz & the size & contours of the nosee or kiss-rrrsee's bum.

If true, this would mean that some (there is no accounting for taste) individual brown nosers/rrrs kissers would do either or both of those things, depending on the physical construction of both parties.

This theory of course is hard for me to prove as you just don't nose what you don't nose.

wilee-nilee
June 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM
:p

KiwiNZ
June 10th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I only buried my head in the sand once and that was water Skiing. Trying to do a fast sand beach landing that did not end well :p

Ebere
June 10th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Highland Scottish Oxen

Although I guess in ghetto-speak it would actually be "pair a dem ox", not "pair a da ox".

In redneck it would be "Bessie and Gertie".

I think in -real- redneck, it would be "bride and bridesmaid"...

Breambutt
June 10th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Rule #3

They say I'm far more obnoxious in person. What kind of advice would you have for me?

McRat
June 10th, 2010, 11:13 PM
They say I'm far more obnoxious in person. What kind of advice would you have for me?

You and me both brother. :D

You either love or hate me in person, but you WILL remember I was there... :lolflag:

handy
June 11th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I only buried my head in the sand once and that was water Skiing. Trying to do a fast sand beach landing that did not end well :p

:lolflag: Sorry, I just saw the movie.

lemuriaX
June 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM
After reading through this thread and careful consideration of the various ideas, arguments and views expressed therein...and after consulting my therapist, I have decided to block all of you. Have a nice day.

forrestcupp
June 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
What's this thread all about, anyway? I blocked everyone, so this is 21 pages of nothing.

wilee-nilee
June 11th, 2010, 10:57 PM
;)

NightwishFan
June 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Interesting post. Reminds me of the celebrities daughters that want their own line of makeup and just wave the magic wand... there ya go sweetie.

Rey117
June 29th, 2010, 06:10 PM
so if I block myself..does that make me invisible? Or a ghost? And I walk down the street and don't see myself..am I walking in a parallel universe?.....aww man my head hurts...i need a burrito.

ibuclaw
June 29th, 2010, 11:19 PM
so if I block myself..does that make me invisible? Or a ghost? And I walk down the street and don't see myself..am I walking in a parallel universe?.....aww man my head hurts...i need a burrito.

Dunno ... I tried to block myself once, but that failed because:

Sorry ibuclaw is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.
:sad:

NightwishFan
June 30th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Ignored.

Now for the snippy behind the back talk. :) That ibuclaw has to be the worst bowler in the history of ever..

Oh wait.. what are you doing.. oh no sto!!! [B A N N E D]

Nightwishfan has been banned for making very bad jokes on Ubuntu Forums. ;)

edit: Just noticed we joined in the same month, cool.

ibuclaw
June 30th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Ignored.

Now for the snippy behind the back talk. :) That ibuclaw has to be the worst bowler in the history of ever..

Oh wait.. what are you doing.. oh no sto!!! [B A N N E D]

Somehow - I just don't feel that happening...

I *could* however negotiate a point for having an 'N' in your name. ;)