PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP create windows 7 boot disk-new ubuntu user

Osiriskc
June 9th, 2010, 06:52 AM
So here goes,
After my hard drive running Vista crashed, a friend recommended that I try Ubuntu booting my 2gb flash drive. So far, I'm totally enjoying the change:] but now I need to install Windows to get back to some work/programs I was in the middle of before my drive started failing.(would love to dual boot once I learn how)

So my question/plea is this...
Can someone please walk me through the steps(or send me in the right direction) of creating a Windows 7 64-bit boot disk.
I've tried to read through countless articles explaining the details, but they are explained in a way that assumes I am an avid Ubuntu user...which I am not... yet.

I've yet to dabble in burning iso images to disks and whatever else i need to do, what programs i need for it, and the best way to do it.

so pleeeeaaaassse Ubuntu ppl..show me your ways...but dumb it down a bit haha

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 07:01 AM
When you say a W7 boot disc do you want to fix a install, install W7 or have a live cd of W7 like a Ubuntu cd? If it is the last it wont be legal and not allowed on the forums I think, I might be wrong here, but you have to have a license to run it.

There are options though if you only need a windows set up for some basic use a virtual is a good way to go.

What you really want is hard to tell from your post, at least for me.

Osiriskc
June 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Lol sorry bout that, I want a fresh install W7 on a new hard drive using Ubuntu which I am running from my usb. straight up

wilee-nilee
June 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Lol sorry bout that, I want a fresh install W7 on a new hard drive using Ubuntu which I am running from my usb. straight up

You won't use Ubuntu unless you want to build a partition for it on the HD with gparted. You can just do a custom install with the install media just set the size of the partition for it in the install.just boot the media and install away.

If this is a external Hd that is different, I'm not familiar with if or how you can point W7 to it.

Mark Phelps
June 9th, 2010, 07:45 PM
The BEST source of technical info for Win7 stuff is sevenforums.com. They have tutorials devoted to installing Win7 from USB -- which is what I think you want to do.

Technically, there is no such thing as a Win7 "boot disk" -- although the Win7 Installation DVD and various Win7 Repair CDs will boot. But in BOTH cases, they don't actually boot you into Win7.

IF you want a disk just to boot MS Windows, go to the link below, download and burn the appropriate Win7 image to CD:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

But, these will not allow you to INSTALL Win7. You need an actual Win7 Installation DVD to do that.

kansasnoob
June 9th, 2010, 07:52 PM
What's wrong with your Windows?

Will it just not boot since installing Ubuntu to the USB drive?

If so look here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Computer_does_not_bo ot_without_external_drive

Osiriskc
June 10th, 2010, 07:18 AM
so what im saying, is that i bought a new computer with Vista on it, some b.s. issues with nvidia and this raid access failure problem came up, then my hard drive crashed blahblahblah, so till i bought a new hard drive to install an os on i am running ubuntu from my usb stick. now i went and purchased a new drive. and now i was to install windows 7. all i wanna know is simple steps in burning the iso image or whatever to the disk so i can install, or a way to install. already have win7 downloaded, just havent installed due to the fact that i wanna make sure im doing it the right way first. if this helps, this is a theoretical question. so no illegal activities are going down. i just want knowledge

Mark Phelps
June 10th, 2010, 02:35 PM
OK, if you legally downloaded a Win7 ISO, just burn the image to a DVD and use that?

Is there a problem with doing this?