PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thunderbird won't refresh it's window

opus1
June 9th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum...

I updated my laptop to Ubuntu 10.04 and among the many problems I've had is this strange one with Thunderbird 3. It will not refresh it's window. That is, it loads, and some of the panes (such as the one on the bottom right that shows the selected message) remain blank.

The work around I found is to grab the title bar and move the window. That will force a refresh, but it is terribly annoying to write a message and not see the words until I stop and move the window a hair.

This behavior happens when the Appearance settings (System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual effect) are set to "Normal" or "Extra". Under "none" Thunderbird behaves normally, but everything else looks terrible!

I'm guessing this is a Compiz problem; has anyone else seen this happen? more importantly, how do I fix it????

Oh, and all other programs work fine under all appearance settings.

Thanks!

opus1
June 11th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I thought I would solve the problem by installing Thunderbird 2.0.0.24. It worked at first, but about the third time I opened it last night, it wouldn't find my local folders.

The local folders are on a NAS box so all the computers in the house can access the e-mail. I worked for an hour to try to get thunderbird 2 to see those folders (this not a problem I've ever had before).

So, to fix that problem, I re-installed Thunderbird 3. Which can see the local folders files just fine, but now I'm back to the strange refresh problem.

All my research has not turned up any solutions. Anyone else have an idea??? This and my WiFi card problem have rendered my laptop pretty useless.

opus1
June 12th, 2010, 05:57 AM
*** Bump ***

cyril.scetbon
August 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
*** Bump ***

same issue :(

mflopez
September 1st, 2010, 06:42 PM
Same problem here... I tried also disabling Compiz without any luck

cyril.scetbon
September 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
exactly the same issue. I tried with the last version from http://ppa.launchpad.net/ricotz/ppa/ubuntu/ and I still got the same issue :(

any news about it ?