PDA

View Full Version : Trying out video reviews, what do you think?

Nixie Pixel
June 9th, 2010, 12:52 AM
I had been doing a few video tutorials, but I thought I might try my hand at reviews. This is my review of Lucid Lynx. What do you think?

Suggestions, comments, constructive criticism?

Thanks!

My review of Ubuntu 10.04 - Lucid Lynx (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qR591lh5Ow)

TheNerdAL
June 9th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Oh my Josh! You're that girl from Youtube! I love you! Will you marry me? :D

All your videos are great! :P I remember I saw your first one showing something about Compiz. :)

DeadSuperHero
June 9th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Pretty generic in my opinion. Aside from the Me Menu and Ayatana fixes, you're essentially just describing Gnome upstream with some artwork attached on a Debian-based system.

I would delve a bit further into the distribution-specific fixes they've done, including the 100 Papercuts, and compare and contrast the new improvements with the previous release. Also, go into detail with things you didn't like as well.

But that's just me. I would recommend taking a look at Techsnap's reviews on YouTube, as he's quite good at deconstructing a system down to its bare essentials and diagnosing both good and bad points about any system. Might be helpful to you.

Breambutt
June 9th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I smell chick bonus.

Props for not using the god-awful "YouTube edit artistic style" where the video just cuts randomly into another scene in a very blunt manner, as if they've erased a part of a scene. I just can't get over how annoying it is and about 99% of the featured crap by YouTube celebrities (=dumb, unfunny, not clever, boring buttnuggets) use it in all of their videos.

To be honest, I only fast-forwarded it through but it seemed well arranged and easy to follow. And if Ubuntu can broaden it's user base by making horny teenage boys drool over an attractive "geek" girl, then I believe we've finally found a purpose for women in this world!

Breambutt approves of this review.

Edit: I take back what I said about the editing. 7:33 turned my hand into a fist. Well, still not as obtrusive as some of the similar action in most people's videos.

DeadSuperHero
June 9th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I smell chick bonus.
And if Ubuntu can broaden it's user base by making horny teenage boys drool over an attractive "geek" girl, then I believe we've finally found a purpose for women in this world!

I think that's exactly the wrong way of going about a review. If anything, I'm disgusted by that demographic of basement dwellers that gives the FOSS community a bad name. How about some egalitarianism?

Frak
June 9th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Overall, it's meh.

Also, your non-legit version of CS5 is readily apparent at 2:40.

EDIT
Constructive: More criticism. It sounded like Ubuntu is perfect and will cure everything, ever.

Breambutt
June 9th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I think that's exactly the wrong way of going about a review. If anything, I'm disgusted by that demographic of basement dwellers that gives the FOSS community a bad name. How about some egalitarianism?
I understand and even agree to a point, but you have to start somewhere. Some of these viewers are just regular people and even a bad name is a name, in the end it's the product itself that matters. I think this is the kind of a review that might work better in a place like YouTube where the audience is what it is even if I wouldn't necessarily include it on the front page of a tech webzine.

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2010, 01:48 AM

All your videos are great! :P I remember I saw your first one showing something about Compiz. :)

Oh boy...

Frak
June 9th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Oh boy...
Personally, I don't know why she wouldn't marry him. Seems like a nice dude.

Breambutt
June 9th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I thought Texan dudes married 17-year-old girls and not the other way around.

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2010, 02:07 AM

I suppose if naivety is an attractive trait.

DeadSuperHero
June 9th, 2010, 02:27 AM

They should be a good match then.

*ducks*

overdrank
June 9th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Back on topic please :)

TheNerdAL
June 9th, 2010, 02:29 AM
They should be a good match then.

*ducks*

Lol, awesome! :D

Nixie Pixel
June 9th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Thank you for contributing, everyone.

Pretty generic in my opinion. Aside from the Me Menu and Ayatana fixes, you're essentially just describing Gnome upstream with some artwork attached on a Debian-based system.

I would delve a bit further into the distribution-specific fixes they've done, including the 100 Papercuts, and compare and contrast the new improvements with the previous release. Also, go into detail with things you didn't like as well.

But that's just me. I would recommend taking a look at Techsnap's reviews on YouTube, as he's quite good at deconstructing a system down to its bare essentials and diagnosing both good and bad points about any system. Might be helpful to you.
I appreciate the help, this is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for.

sandyd
June 9th, 2010, 03:42 AM

Do you say that to everyone? :D:lolflag:
and yea... I had to say that...
**ducks and goes to watch video**

----
ahh.... full screen 720p mode crashes firefox......

murderslastcrow
June 9th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Never figured NixiePixel to be an UbuntuForums member. Now that I think of it, it's pretty obvious, I just never see you around.

I saw it on OMGUbuntu!, and I thought it was good- some sections felt a bit light, but that's good since noobs don't want to know too much of the deeper details, so keeping it to the surface and noticeabilities is a good idea.

It was good- I look forward to whatever you review next. A good idea would be to review specific applications and their competitors- it could help drive development a bit with the programs more worthy of our attention.

DeadSuperHero
June 9th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Thank you for contributing, everyone.

I appreciate the help, this is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for.

Hey, not a problem. Hopefully it'll help you get more of a focus going on your reviews. ;)

Also, feel free to try out some of the more obscure OS'es out there from time to time. AROS, FreeBSD, Inferno, OpenSolaris, HURD, Haiku, and so on and so forth. Lots of interesting designs are out there all over the place.

TheNerdAL
June 9th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Do you say that to everyone? :D:lolflag:

YAY! Carlee Quoted me! That made my day! *faints* :D

Lol, no just to the pretty geeks out there, you still didn't answer my visitor message. :( lol. :D

I wish there were more geeks in my school. :/

DeadSuperHero
June 9th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Lol, no just to the pretty geeks out there, you still didn't answer my visitor message.

Sadly, geek dating services are just far too underused. =[

Nixie Pixel
June 9th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Hey, not a problem. Hopefully it'll help you get more of a focus going on your reviews. ;)

Also, feel free to try out some of the more obscure OS'es out there from time to time. AROS, FreeBSD, Inferno, OpenSolaris, HURD, Haiku, and so on and so forth. Lots of interesting designs are out there all over the place.
My focus is on getting information to people who aren't familiar with Ubuntu, or Linux in general, so I'm not sure how much time I will spend on that. I am planning a new series of tutorials as well, but these will lack a terminal completely. I really want to show how easy Ubuntu can be.

If someone sees a review, tries a new operating system, and then starts messing around with the command line interface well after the fact (because, let's face it, the CLI really isn't that daunting), I'll be happy.

Anyway, sorry, I am rambling again!

DeadSuperHero
June 9th, 2010, 04:13 AM
My focus is on getting information to people who aren't familiar with Ubuntu, or Linux in general.

Ah, well that makes your work with OMG! Ubuntu make a lot more sense with that goal in mind.

I would also highly consider taking a look at DanRabbit's (the guy behind the Elementary theme project) project on DeviantArt (http://danrabbit.deviantart.com/journal/31769589/#comments), he has some kind of "Showcase your favorite apps" contest/project thing going on. There are currently a lot of submissions he's digging through, but maybe you could find some little-known favorite apps for Ubuntu that have packages, and showcase them in your little Linux tutorials? Heck, you could showcase all kinds of games, 3D editing tools, etc.

Anyways, I myself am rambling now. Good luck!

Frak
June 9th, 2010, 05:24 AM

TwoEars
June 9th, 2010, 05:38 AM
My focus is on getting information to people who aren't familiar with Ubuntu, or Linux in general, so I'm not sure how much time I will spend on that. I am planning a new series of tutorials as well, but these will lack a terminal completely. I really want to show how easy Ubuntu can be.

If someone sees a review, tries a new operating system, and then starts messing around with the command line interface well after the fact (because, let's face it, the CLI really isn't that daunting), I'll be happy.

Anyway, sorry, I am rambling again!

You teaching people about Linux? Sounds like a great plan. Oh wait..

Phrea
June 9th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Keep up the good work.

bigsmitty64
June 9th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Hi Nixie, I've been a subscriber to your youtube channel for a while. I found KDenlive from you. :) I like your tututorials because you keep em simple and fun. Keep up the good work! :)

Lightstar
June 9th, 2010, 06:25 AM

Aye, I watched it as an "Introduction to Ubuntu" type of review, it's pretty good. (I actually watched it awhile ago, probably when you uploaded it.) Keep on talking about the applications, what people need is to see that they can do their daily stuff on linux (and ubuntu) just as easily as they do it on windows and/or mac. You're doing a good job at that. Maybe bring in a few programs that aren't as known but that are worth checking out.
i.e. I can't live without Dropbox now, and Easystroke

There's really no need to go really deep into the OS with the kernel info and etc, all that would be overfilling a newcomer's cup. And those advanced enough to care about those things most likely know where to find the info.

I approve your 'want to show how easy Ubuntu can be' idea.

Frak
June 9th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I approve your 'want to show how easy Ubuntu can be' idea.

Review != 'look this is easy'

A review should be a very balanced overview of the system with the capabilities compared to its popular competitors. For instance, it'd be like saying "The fonts aren't as nice as you would find on Mac OS X" or "The application choice isn't as wide as what's available on Windows". Be honest about it. Don't just point out the good points, point out everything that could potentially disappoint a user. The worst thing you want is to look as if you continually market Ubuntu as the best thing since sliced bread. You have a bit of pull in the Linux community, and you should use it honestly, lest you look like another fanboy, err, girl.

Sealbhach
June 9th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Nixie,
Good to see you're making videos again. You do a great job of helping to show people how easy it is to use Linux these days and you have the ability the understand potential new users who aren't geeks and really just want to find out more about what they can do on Ubuntu these days.

fatality_uk
June 9th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Sighs at general level of response!! :|
Will view @ home and feedback.

mkendall
June 9th, 2010, 11:34 AM

She's attractive to the upstairs dirty old men, too. Feel better.

Anywho, it struck me as more of an overview than a review. Maybe it was the ringing in my ears from too many concerts in the '70s but I never heard how Ubuntu ten point zero four rated in each category. (Zero is a number; 'O' is a letter.)

Tristam Green
June 9th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Anywho, it struck me as more of an overview than a review. Maybe it was the ringing in my ears from too many concerts in the '70s but I never heard how Ubuntu ten point zero four rated in each category. (Zero is a number; 'O' is a letter.)

Semantics is the tool of the patently pretentious, too.

Nixie, good luck with your reviews. There are a lot of user-based reviews out there, ranging from "teh suck" to "amazing win of the nth degree". Hopefully you can get to the upper tiers based on the merits of the review itself, and not by just being a pretty face associated with Linux (not to say that doesn't help at all, but I'm certain *you* get my well-intentioned meaning).

Breambutt
June 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM
...and not by just being a pretty face associated with Linux
That's the kind of attention chick geeks crave. That's why they hang around with geeks in the first place.

Don't argue with me. I've studied this excessively.

Tristam Green
June 9th, 2010, 12:52 PM
That's the kind of attention chick geeks crave. That's why they hang around with geeks in the first place.

People hanging around people with similar interests as them? Surely thou jest.

RiceMonster
June 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM

Sweeping generalizations, gotta love 'em.

Breambutt
June 9th, 2010, 01:33 PM
People hanging around people with similar interests as them? Surely thou jest.
Missing the point, but let's leave it at that since you seem to like slapping people who like slapping people.

Sweeping generalization? Maybe, but so far they've all fallen under one category. It's like a religious debate; you can't really prove that God exists and you also can't prove that he/she/it doesn't exist, but in practical science a proximate value is often enough to be considered the truth, which makes me essentially right about this.

Moreover, I'm just taking the **** at the expense of you overly respectful and sensitive people who'd like think all the best of females. It doesn't pay off, whether you have hidden agendas or sincerely believe them not to crave for this attention.

howefield
June 9th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Review != 'look this is easy'

A review should be a very balanced overview of the system with the capabilities compared to its popular competitors. For instance, it'd be like saying "The fonts aren't as nice as you would find on Mac OS X" or "The application choice isn't as wide as what's available on Windows". Be honest about it. Don't just point out the good points, point out everything that could potentially disappoint a user. The worst thing you want is to look as if you continually market Ubuntu as the best thing since sliced bread. You have a bit of pull in the Linux community, and you should use it honestly, lest you look like another fanboy, err, girl.

+1 Thanks, you saved me a little typing.

"A full review of Ubuntu's most recent release," - it is anything but. Ten out of ten for effort, less on the execution.

That isn't meant to be critical, nothing wrong with the video per se, but it comes across as a testimonial rather than a "full review" as claimed.

Is the hand waving some form of exercise ?

Only joking.

Tristam Green
June 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Missing the point, but let's leave it at that since you seem to like slapping people who like slapping people.

Actually, I just like slapping people who think themselves higher than others.

Sweeping generalization? Maybe, but so far they've all fallen under one category. It's like a religious debate; you can't really prove that God exists and you also can't prove that he/she/it doesn't exist, but in practical science a proximate value is often enough to be considered the truth, which makes me essentially right about this.

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1086716,00.jpg

mmm...quite.

Moreover, I'm just taking the **** at the expense of you overly respectful and sensitive people who'd like think all the best of females. It doesn't pay off, whether you have hidden agendas or sincerely believe them not to crave for this attention.

You need to watch more early 1990s Meg Ryan films.

RiceMonster
June 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM

So you're suggesting it's ok to make assumptions about people based on a category they happen to fall under, because in your own slim experience it appears to be true? Now you're accusing me of having a hidden agenda? Absurd.

I find it pretty pathetic that people have so much trouble just talking about the review, and instead have to resort to BS like this.

fatality_uk
June 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Any chance those who have viewed the video can contribute to the topic and get this thread back on track?

Breambutt
June 9th, 2010, 02:04 PM
So you're suggesting it's ok to make assumptions about people based on a category they happen to fall under, because in your own slim experience it appears to be true? Now you're accusing me of having a hidden agenda? Absurd.

I find it pretty pathetic that people have so much trouble just talking about the review, and instead have to resort to BS like this.
You have no idea what I'm basing it on in this case, I never referred to our buntu chick, I didn't accuse you of anything and I have already talked about the review and seen a lot of good points later on in the thread but didn't feel like repeating them would do anything, and last but not least what's this "resort" you speak of?

And I also apologize for being (a major) part of the derailment. Back on track now.

quinnten83
June 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM
And if Ubuntu can broaden it's user base by making horny teenage boys drool over an attractive "geek" girl, then I believe we've finally found a purpose for women in this world!

<sarcasm> Nope, that comment is not at all inflammatory!!!! </sarcasm>

WTF, mate?

EDIT:
OKay, i need to refresh more often. This topic has been debated, please consider my comments as not posted. And let's return to our regularly scheduled show.
To the OP, which program do you use to edit your video?
i want to make video stuff too, but I find Openshot to be a limited for my needs.

Manuwash
June 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hey nixie, I liked your tutorials, it helped me with the cube and all that jazz, btw where do you get your sweet wallpapers? ;)

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Wow, Mr. Butt.

Sealbhach
June 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Any chance those who have viewed the video can contribute to the topic and get this thread back on track?

I've got no idea what should go into a video review of an OS so I can't really judge.

Do you compare it with other desktop OS's? Performance, speed, ease of install, ease of use...

Do you look at issues like hardware compatibility, drivers, graphics, ipod etc?

Do you talk about the interface, the theme, the filesystem?

Do you mention the overall software ecosystem e.g. running Photoshop, Steam, popular games? the thousands of FOSS applications easily downloaded and installed?

Do you get into networking, RAID, virtualization, LAMP servers and all that stuff I don't know much about?

That's a lot to cover in one video and the internet has a short

Frogs Hair
June 9th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I watched the video and it seemed to be focused on social networking apps rather than the operating system.

Ubom
June 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Overall, it's meh.

EDIT
Constructive: More criticism. It sounded like Ubuntu is perfect and will cure everything, ever.

Sadly after seeing the fact that you pirate software I have decided to stop watching your videos (most of which I thought weren't anything great to be honest and only watched them because they were popular). The whole point of open source is to provide a free alternative, not really being true to open source if you just pirate the alternative anyway.

Giant Speck
June 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM

To which '70s do you refer? The 1970s? The 1570s? The 70s?

If you're going to criticize people for using conventions of speech, then you should probably practice what you preach.

Also, "anywho" isn't a real word. Did you mean to say "anyhow"?

If the sarcasm wasn't overt enough, this white sentence should help to dispel confusion. Have a nice day!

fatality_uk
June 9th, 2010, 07:53 PM
To OP:

Overall a very good review. You identified the "headlines" that Lucid is providing and some of the features that new users might find if they try Ubuntu for the first time.

You talked at the start about "newbies transitioning from another operating systems". If this was your target audience, I would have given a little more time explaining about the live CD version of Ubuntu and the benefits of a "try before you buy" approach and perhaps show a live session.

Also you skimmed over OpenOffice which is one of the most crucial applications suites for many people. Being able to natively use Microsoft doc & docx and excel files is a key features which OOo boasts.

last thing, recently Ubuntu (and Linux in general) has come a very long way with regards to hardware detection and drivers. I know people who may have tried Linux one or two years ago and have been disappointed and not looked again since. A little more about say Nouveau drivers and 3D support might help people be a little more comfortable their hardware should work.

On a technical note, please go and buy a better microphone :) Sometimes the distortion and echo is bad, well it is in my headphones (A decent set of Technics). I think it would really help the presentation of you video.

Hope this has been "constructive".

KiwiNZ
June 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM
To OP:

Overall a very good review. You identified the "headlines" that Lucid is providing and some of the features that new users might find if they try Ubuntu for the first time.

You talked at the start about "newbies transitioning from another operating systems". If this was your target audience, I would have given a little more time explaining about the live CD version of Ubuntu and the benefits of a "try before you buy" approach and perhaps show a live session.

Also you skimmed over OpenOffice which is one of the most crucial applications suites for many people. Being able to natively use Microsoft doc & docx and excel files is a key features which OOo boasts.

last thing, recently Ubuntu (and Linux in general) has come a very long way with regards to hardware detection and drivers. I know people who may have tried Linux one or two years ago and have been disappointed and not looked again since. A little more about say Nouveau drivers and 3D support might help people be a little more comfortable their hardware should work.

On a technical note, please go and buy a better microphone :) Sometimes the distortion and echo is bad, well it is in my headphones (A decent set of Technics). I think it would really help the presentation of you video.

Hope this has been "constructive".

I would add one to this. You need to try and cut down or eliminate the "talking" with your hands. It is distracting and quite annoying.

If you review TV presenters and other video training DVD's you will seldon witness this, it is hard to get used to but you will find your presentations will look more professional.

Try holding something in your hands out of camera shot if that helps.

mkendall
June 9th, 2010, 10:57 PM
To which '70s do you refer? The 1970s? The 1570s? The 70s?

If you're going to criticize people for using conventions of speech, then you should probably practice what you preach.

Also, "anywho" isn't a real word. Did you mean to say "anyhow"?

If the sarcasm wasn't overt enough, this white sentence should help to dispel confusion. Have a nice day!

Eh? Speak up!

And GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Nickynak
June 10th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Nixie Pixel and Osgui Tech Show Tim should get together and produce a Linux child, then put the video on Youtube afterwards.

MCVenom
June 10th, 2010, 02:34 AM

...Wow... just... wow... I always thought sexism in FOSS was exaggerated, but after reading this... just wow.

Sadly after seeing the fact that you pirate software I have decided to stop watching your videos (most of which I thought weren't anything great to be honest and only watched them because they were popular). The whole point of open source is to provide a free alternative, not really being true to open source if you just pirate the alternative anyway.
Do you feel better now? :P

None of these little quips have anything to do with the topic at hand. Moving on.

MCVenom
June 10th, 2010, 02:37 AM
It was a pretty good review! I've found your videos to be quite informative and helpful in the past, keep up the good work! :D

Just work on the hands thing... and try to keep from accidentally outing things about your computing habits or other things that might be looked down on. (I'm referring to the CS5 Suite at 2:40) ;)

Viva
June 10th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I see that the usual suspects are jumping on her back. I'm personally not a big fan of her videos due to my personal beliefs, but some of the posts in this thread are downright pathetic. I wouldn't label them sexist, but some posters(and they know who I'm talking about) are trying too hard to be non-conformist and present themselves to be different to the average user on this site. I'm talking about the "look at me, I'm not a ubuntu fanboi and I'm not drooling over a girl" attitudes that are getting more annoying by the day.

Tristam Green
June 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM
trying too hard to be non-conformist and present themselves to be different to the average user on this site

Man, that sounds awfully familiar to something I discussed with some close forum friends just...well, just yesterday!

Frak
June 10th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I see that the usual suspects are jumping on her back. I'm personally not a big fan of her videos due to my personal beliefs, but some of the posts in this thread are downright pathetic. I wouldn't label them sexist, but some posters(and they know who I'm talking about) are trying too hard to be non-conformist and present themselves to be different to the average user on this site. I'm talking about the "look at me, I'm not a ubuntu fanboi and I'm not drooling over a girl" attitudes that are getting more annoying by the day.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/Evilpens/its-a-conspiracy.jpg

We're the usual ones because we aren't drooling Ubuntu fanboi's and do think an honest review was in order. In fact, I think you fit your own statement even better: "Well, I'm a bit of a smart lad myself, and I want to be non-conformists from even the non-conformists, and I tend to the smarter than others, so I'd there is a conspiracy to make you think you're not as hawt as they aren't leading you to believe. Now, make some more vidoes, chip chop chip."

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

DeadSuperHero
June 10th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I'm talking about the "look at me, I'm not a ubuntu fanboi and I'm not drooling over a girl" attitudes that are getting more annoying by the day.

Check some of NixiePixel's user responses on her YouTube channel, the content is usually hideously obscene and sexist against her.

The FOSS community ought to invite women in without the vulgar sexist remarks. There needs to be a clear break between the people that post those kinds of comments, and the people involved in this community (rather, said break needs to be maintained).

Sealbhach
June 10th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Check some of NixiePixel's user responses on her YouTube channel, the content is usually hideously obscene and sexist against her.

Youtube comments are always retarded, it's a law or something. I would expect better here. Somebody's gender or lack of gender should not even be a f*ck*ng issue.

RiceMonster
June 10th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Somebody's gender or lack of gender should not even be a f*ck*ng issue.

I agree.

Also, about youtube comments:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/youtube.png

TwoEars
June 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM

How is this relevant?

Are you saying it's okay to treat her differently because she's a girl?

@ seal - her videos aren't even that good to begin with, imo.

Shakz
June 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Reckon its better than being an @sshat.

Frak
June 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Reckon its better than being an @sshat.
I don't know what @sshat means? Is that like a domain or something?

philinux
June 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I think this one is passed it's best by date. Closed.