PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer shuts off without warning (possible overheat?)

miniCruzer
June 9th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I've got Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installed on my Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop, and its having a hardware issue, but it only seems to happen when running Ubuntu; no problems with Windows XP.

While multitasking (chatting, listening to music, and occasionally watching a YouTube video), the computer, without warning, shuts off. The underside of the computer feels rather warm.

After it dies, I usually wait about 10 minutes (to cool it down) before starting it back up. During this time, I unplug everything. I no longer use the battery, since it's long dead.

I am pretty sure it is having an overheating problem. The computer was purchased in 2003, and has underwent many HDD formats. It is using a fairly new Hard Drive, with 1 GiB RAM. I am willing to upgrade some hardware, but not everything because it's almost not worth the cost for such an old computer.

Some of my questions are:

Would a newer, faster hard drive help?
Would more RAM help?
Should I buy a cooling pad?

I would rather upgrade hardware than start killing processes off, because I'm a fan of CopmizFusion and Cairo Dock.

Temüjin
June 9th, 2010, 01:11 AM
You might need to give your laptop internals a good cleaning and it would probably help to remove, clean, and reapply the heatsink with fresh, decent-quality thermal paste.

Ah, a quick google produced this: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/227883/how_i_fixed_my_dell_computer_a_case.html?cat=15

miniCruzer
July 13th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try.

miniCruzer
July 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Ah, a quick google produced this: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/227883/how_i_fixed_my_dell_computer_a_case.html?cat=15

Instead of taking the 'Air Duster' can, I use my Air Compressor. The only difference, is that an air compressor provides air at a much higher PSI, so when dusting out the vents, don't pull the trigger all the way down on your hose, or you could damage the motherboard. If the fan spins too fast backwards, it drives electricity into the mobo and can fry it.