PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fonts copied from Windows not recognized in OO Write

phubert28
June 8th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I recently installed my first Ubuntu: 64 bit 10.4, alongside a tanked Windows XP SP3 install.

I COPIED the Windows TrueType and Postscript fonts into /usr/share/fonts under truetype and PS directories.

I installed Fontmatrix and FM sees all but a few of my fonts.

Nautilus, also can DISPLAY the fonts.

However, OO Write doesn't show Arial Narrow and quite a list of other fonts known to Fontmatrix.

ALL directory and file permissions in this set are rwxrwxrwx.

Any idea what I'm missing?

IS there any Fontmatrix documentation???

ONE font I especially wanted is one I had purchased, the PostScript font Alexa Std. It appears EVERYTHING sees it.

I DELETED a few files outright (as I browsed through fonts w. Nautilus - I KNEW I had a bunch of 'junk' fonts I wanted to cull, anyway) and Fontmatrix is unable to unlink them, it appears.

My primary concern is Arial Narrow as I use it frequently in Write TABLES.

franket
June 10th, 2010, 03:10 PM
typically I add font to /home/user/.fonts and I can use font in OO

I test with tahoma

phubert28
June 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Good thought, but I already have Arial Narrow there and OO doesn't see it.

I finally dumped Fontmatrix in favor of FontyPython ... which HAS documentation. I like its POGS approach, too.

If Fontmatrix is supposed to be for 'professionals' (as I have read), I'll leave it (AND its developer) TO them.

Thanks for the response. Perhaps after I create my POGS and begin using them properly things will sort out.