PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Hooking up extra monitor and an HDTV

Caldur06
June 8th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Hey everyone, I didn't really know where to post this so I'm sorry if this is off-topic.

I'm running ubuntu 10.04 on a laptop. Right now I have an extra monitor plugged into the dvi port. My laptop also has a vga and an s-video out.

I want to hook up my TV to the computer as well. It's an HDTV, and I tried hooking it up directly with the s-video and it looked like crap. I know I could get a DVI to HDMI cable, but my monitor is already using the dvi port. I know I could use the vga port, but apparently you need to have some kind of converter in between that is really expensive.

An idea I just had is to use a dvi splitting adapter, so that my extra monitor and the TV would be getting the same signal. Would that work? How would ubuntu recognize that port? Because right now it recognizes the device correctly as an Acer, as well as guessing its native resolution correctly. But that's 1650x1024, whereas my TV should hopefully be 1900x1080 or at least 720.

Is there some kind of easy solution I'm missing? Thanks so much for any help!

nhasian
June 9th, 2010, 02:44 AM
cables are expensive at retail stores. if you know where to look they are cheap! try http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

tom.swartz07
June 9th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Might be really obvious, but it needs to be asked.
Does the TV have a VGA input on the back? I have a Samsung with a VGA input on the back.

If you split em, youre only going to end up with the same image on 2 screens. If thats what youre going for, kudos. If not, you might need to look into either some other connection (Im notorious for recommending a Scan Converter, they can be found on amazon for a few bucks)