PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot, Motherboard Updates, Grub2 rescue

Mark_in_Hollywood
June 8th, 2010, 06:43 PM
This is a post for salutary effect. I run Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (ver. 10.04) and Windows 7 (Ultimate). I have an MSI mainboard, (MSI model: K9N6PGM2-V2). MSI supplied a software application for updating motherboard drivers, BIOS, etc. After 6 months of owning this m/b, I used their app to update the mainboard (MSI speak for motherboard). I saw that 3 or 4 drivers or other apps. were updated. That for the motherboard, only. Happy that I had updated my system, I rebooted.

Much to my surprise, I got the grub rescue prompt. I found a CD copy of Karmic and into the optical drive it went. I keep my BIOS set to boot from the (in my case) DVD drive, first, and re-booted. That didn't work and I started to panic. I tried another half-dozen reboots and nothing worked. The boot defaulted to the Grub rescue prompt. And the Grub commands would NOT work, either.

After 45 minutes of distress and worry, I shut the 'puter down for the night: shutdown, not hibernate. The next day, upon power-up Lucid Lynx booted without problem. Same for Windows 7. As I seemed to have no problem, I re-booted to Ubuntu Recover and had Grub write new config files. Just to be safe.

So the moral to the story is -don't give up. Sometimes, bits & bytes find a way.