PDA

View Full Version : Breaking chain between portable Net device and carriers

samalex
June 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I know some people just like that all-in-one device, but for me I just can't get past paying $100/month for a phone plan. I have a decent plan that is well under $100/month for two phones, and it works great for us, but there are times I'd like to have mobile web.

Wouldn't it be feasible to just get either an Android device or even an iPod Touch or iPad that isn't tied to a carrier, then pay $40/month for a MiFi through Verizon to get online? They're all portable, and using Skype you can still make and receive phone calls, though for the iPod Touch and iPad it'll be much simpler with multitasking in IOS4 later this year.

And using the MiFi any device can access the Internet, including our laptops or multiple portables, so tethering is there. Most carriers charge $30 or more to add Internet to a device plus more for teathering, so why lock that to one device when a MiFi or even a USB Modem (if you can find a portable device that supports it) is about the same?

I'm surprised more people aren't trying this out. The places I'd like to get portable Internet are the daily commute, at work, at home, the morning walk around the block, and possibly while out to lunch with my laptop in hand. Most of these places have wireless access already, and the MiFi would work for the others. I think I'd get the most use from the Car listening to streaming audio. At any rate none of these necessitates a smart phone tied to a carrier.

Thoughts or suggestions???

Sam

madjr
June 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
hmm

i was thinking the same.

using an archos5 or dell streak.

the problem might be receiving calls unless all you do is chat (msn, facebook, gchat, etc.) with friends and family.

hmm, am thinking totally get rid of voice calls and get my family chat equipment and warn my friends that am only available in chat :)

less stressful and more casual way of communicating and i can talk to people and still use my phone for browsing.

if the masses went this way, plans would be much cheaper. of course the carriers will do anything to avoid this as long as possible.

samalex
June 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM
madjr, I agree... Applications like Skype are great for creating a link between the old-school phone system (or cell phone system) and networked devices as long as the device was always online. Through something like the MiFi or roaming between wifi connections (work, home, restaurants, etc) that should be possible even today. And heck most of my correspondences with friends/family is through email, text message, etc anyway.

The two problems I see being a hindrance for most are battery life on something like the Mifi and also the cap on monthly broadband usage, but both are issues even with most smart phones.

But even the MiFi is reported to have 350 or more feet range, so keeping it in the car might still work if you park close to your office or the store you're shopping in. And if you do need to go 'unplugged' the thing has a decent battery life.

Hmm...

Sam