PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What's the content of the Alternate installer CD and it's folder structure

Milkman08
June 8th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Hi. :)
I want to get the alternate CD for 10.04, but since I already downloaded the Desktop Live CD, I don't want to download the Alt. one.
Since those two CDs defiantly share some content with each other, I want to;
1- Unzip the Desktop Live CD
2- download the files that are in the alternate CD from archive.ubuntu.com and remove the ones that are not in alt. CD from Desktop Live CD.
3- Make the new CD's structure just like the alternate one
4- zip it into an ISO file
5- burn it.
So can you print the alt CD's folder structure and attach it here so I make alt CD myself?

iponeverything
June 8th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Your assumption about the relationship of the Live CD to Alternate CD is incorrect.

The live desktop install CD is an OS image designed to able to be run from the CD and in the case of an install to be copied in-mass over to a partition to become a Desktop install. There are no packages on live desktop install CD.

The Alternate CD is all the .deb packages that are installed individually to create the Desktop install.

I hope that you can see from the fundamental differences between the Live CD and the Alternate CD, that creating the Alternate CD from the Live CD is not possible.

Milkman08
June 8th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info iponeverything, I didn't know that. :)

It would be great if canonical could release a DVD of ubuntu that had the features of both Alternate CD and Live CD.