PDA

View Full Version : Ever Consider Going Back to WIndows?

mamamia88
June 8th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I am seriously considering it because I can no longer mount any usb devices and seeing how I listen to a lot of podcasts and am in college I need to be able to access my mp3 player and flash drive. so has anyone ever seriously considered it? also if anyone has a fix for this let me know please tried absolute beginner talk and google with no luck

mamamia88
June 8th, 2010, 02:13 AM
screenshot of error drving me crazy

FuturePilot
June 8th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Does it work from the live CD? If it does then it's just a matter of finding out what is wrong with your setup and most likely not a hardware problem.

Timmer1240
June 8th, 2010, 02:20 AM
You might want to ask in the general help section someone there could help you!

mamamia88
it works fine on a sabayon live cd

kaldor
Does it work from the live CD? If it does then it's just a matter of finding out what is wrong with your setup and most likely not a hardware problem.

Sounds more like hardware to me.

Either way, why go back to Windows? Ubuntu isn't the only easy to use distro :). In my opinion it's buggier than most.

mamamia88
June 8th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I don't know I really don't feel like messing with my computer right now I just want to get this problem fixed. I'm pretty sure it's not hardware since it worked from live cd environment earlier

forrestcupp
June 8th, 2010, 02:26 AM
If it works with Sabayon, it's probably not a hardware problem. Still, I'd hate to go through everything it takes to go back to Windows and it still not work.

CharmyBee
June 8th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Oh, i've considered it. I've considered it enough that i'm back on Windows already without regret of missing functionality.

Is that USB storage thing a Sandisk? I know at least they have annoying drivers on their Cruzer to make it exclusively only write until you uninstall its software.

mamamia88
June 8th, 2010, 02:33 AM
it's a fuze that worked up until yesterday

mmix
June 8th, 2010, 02:37 AM
sound like software problem to me, try other distro like
mint, fedora, PCLinuxOS, slitaz (liveusb)

I use windows and linux both, due to my job(software programmer).

forrestcupp
June 8th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Get into your mp3 player's settings on the device itself. It's been a while so I don't remember what they're called, but most of them have 2 different types of USB connections that you can choose in the settings. One is more compatible than the other. Try switching to the other one and see if it connects. Maybe somehow it got reset and that's why it stopped working.

mamamia88
June 8th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Get into your mp3 player's settings on the device itself. It's been a while so I don't remember what they're called, but most of them have 2 different types of USB connections that you can choose in the settings. One is more compatible than the other. Try switching to the other one and see if it connects. Maybe somehow it got reset and that's why it stopped working.

that has absolutely no effect

cariboo
June 8th, 2010, 02:56 AM
If you seriously want this issue resolved, you should really start a support thread

mamamia88
June 8th, 2010, 03:00 AM
i did and i have a promising lead right now hopefully it works out can't find my windows 7 disc anyway

Merovius
June 8th, 2010, 03:01 AM
My 4gb Sansa Fuze is set to MTP mode and the MTP plugin for Rhythmbox is enabled. Works fine for me. I start Rhythmbox then plug in the Sansa and it pops right up. System is up to date. Not sure what could have caused yours to stop working. Corrupted file on the Sansa possibly? I've used the Sansa update software in Windows to update the firmware in the past to get an older Sansa to work one time. Just a thought.

mamamia88
June 8th, 2010, 03:02 AM
it's not just the fuze it's all usb devices i connect to the system

cprofitt
June 8th, 2010, 03:06 AM
My 4gb Sansa Fuze is set to MTP mode and the MTP plugin for Rhythmbox is enabled. Works fine for me. I start Rhythmbox then plug in the Sansa and it pops right up. System is up to date. Not sure what could have caused yours to stop working. Corrupted file on the Sansa possibly? I've used the Sansa update software in Windows to update the firmware in the past to get an older Sansa to work one time. Just a thought.

You can update it via Linux too -- I have.

mamamia88
June 8th, 2010, 03:07 AM
turns out /media folder somehow dissappeared. i have no idea how though

Dustin2128
June 8th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I've got a fuze and it's working fine... but seriously if you don't like ubuntu, in my humble opinion, mint works beautifully out of the box you really should try it. Also, look up mounting problems with ubuntu, that'll probably solve your problems. I'll never swap to windows. Period. Linux is just too awesome. But I certainly like getting new systems because of windows performance decay, before long I shall achieve a supercomputer cluster more powerful than a billion human brains, and then I can divide by zero and end the universe! :twisted: Mwahahahaha!

WinterRain
June 8th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Sounds more like hardware to me.

Either way, why go back to Windows? Ubuntu isn't the only easy to use distro :). In my opinion it's buggier than most.

In my opinion, it is more stable than most.

But no, I've never even remotely considered going back to windows.

Try a different distro I say. Mandriva and fedora are both good.

Jesus_Valdez
June 8th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I do double boot, when something works better in windows I use it.

cap10Ibraim
June 8th, 2010, 05:04 AM
it's a fuze that worked up until yesterday
Did you install any new applications or updates ?

oregonbob
June 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Have you plugged in to another machine, even a Windows box, to make sure it still is good? Those get geeked from a sneeze sometimes.

steveneddy
June 8th, 2010, 05:15 AM
no

handy
June 8th, 2010, 05:19 AM
If it came down to it, I'd change what I'm doing rather than ever install a version of windows again.

Rather than install windows to get around the current gaming limitations of GNU/Linux, I bought a cheap PS3, it cost me about the same as a half decent graphics card.

We have 6 computers & the PS3, & windows isn't on any of them.

The household computers have been windows free for approaching 4.5 years, & its how it will remain. :D

WinterRain
June 8th, 2010, 05:43 AM
When your phone, printer, PSP, camera, tv tuner, removable drives, etc, all work flawlessly, there's not much reason to use windows. I don't need ms office, don't use itunes, and do most of my very occasional gaming on psp or linux. I'm all set.

Rice&Fish
June 8th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I am seriously considering it because I can no longer mount any usb devices and seeing how I listen to a lot of podcasts and am in college I need to be able to access my mp3 player and flash drive. so has anyone ever seriously considered it? also if anyone has a fix for this let me know please tried absolute beginner talk and google with no luck

Have you tried Distro X (where x = fedora, suse, archlinux, sabayon, linuxmint....)?
By the way mounting USB works flawlessly for me in Xubuntu :guitar:

Spike-X
June 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I had the same USB problem after installing Lucid. I tried a bunch of solutions, and one of them worked, but I can't remember which one, sorry. I have no idea why plugging in a simple flash drive should suddenly become such a huge hassle after working with no problems on any of the previous versions of Ubuntu.

I'm now using Mint 9, and USB worked fine on a fresh install. If you want to stick with Ubuntu but are sick of hassles such as these, I recommend giving Mint a try. I'm not even going to bother installing Ubuntu when a new version comes out any more, I'm just going to wait for the Mint equivalent.

WinterRain
June 8th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I'm now using Mint 9, and USB worked fine on a fresh install.

That doesn't make sense. Mint is ubuntu. Mint doesn't have special usb tweaks, and gets the same updates.

My friend was running mint and did some updates that made the OS flake out. In other words, mint is susceptible to the same things as ubuntu, because 99% of mint is ubuntu. Please don't make mint out to be something it's not.

Nixie Pixel
June 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Why go back? Dual boot if you have to!

I do...

Spike-X
June 8th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I can only speak from my own experience. I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get USB working on Lucid, whereas with Mint 9 it just worked.

betrunkenaffe
June 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM
To answer the only Community Cafe pertinent question:

Dual booting, using Windows for games only. I recently ran into a need for some windows specific programs, since I have a virtual machine windows set up, I just installed it in there and seamless mode the 2 programs (both I'm sure would work with wine but that's not installed and I'm super super lazy sometimes). I'll move them over to wine when I have a more pressing need to use wine (and ergo install).

Started vacation on May 30 and haven't rebooted since so you can gather the frequency the win partition gets dusted off.

scouser73
June 8th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I've considered going back to using Windows to see what Windows 7 is like, I've heard that it's pretty nice & easy to use; then I realised how annoying it would be to have to buy anti-virus and anti-spyware for it. I'm not knocking Windows, after all if it hadn't of been for Windows I'd never have become converted to Ubuntu.

So in answer to the original question, my answer is a resounding no.

Legendary_Bibo
June 8th, 2010, 09:01 AM
naw, I cringe at the thought of going back to the torture that Vista caused me.

Nixie Pixel
June 8th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I've considered going back to using Windows to see what Windows 7 is like, I've heard that it's pretty nice & easy to use; then I realised how annoying it would be to have to buy anti-virus and anti-spyware for it.
To be fair, you don't have to -buy- those things to get decent solutions. There are free solutions available.

Combined with good computer hygiene, you should remain virus-free on any operating system.

NightwishFan
June 8th, 2010, 09:05 AM
My reasons for not using Windows is I am used to Linux. :)

lolzwut
June 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM
A while ago I did. I installed Kubuntu at first and I didn't really know why I was doing it. I just heard about this operating system named linux that was "l33t" (told by an obvious moron) so I tried it, and I really didn't like it and it had this weird glitch where any time I would type it would flash these little black lines. I un installed it but now that I'm more educated on linux and know more about why it's good I'd say no. I do dual boot with vista though just because sometimes you HAVE to use windows, it's undeniable. I'm a big gamer too. I wouldn't get rid of linux though.

JDShu
June 8th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I have found that getting the stuff I need working in Ubuntu is easier that in Windows. So no, not really.

Johnsie
June 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Windows definitely can be useful for me at times, especially when I want to do multimedia stuff or RAD programming. I think Outlook is alot better than Evolution and quite often the 'alternative' programs available on Linux are not as polished.

julio_cortez
June 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
A while ago I did.
There's nothing wrong with uninstalling Linux if you can't get used to it. I also did it once.
I used to use some KDE-based distro at uni, then never interested in Linux for a couple of years.
I got a copy of Ubuntu 7.04 in the summer of 2007 and said "well, let's try it out" but never clicked with it at the point that I eventually uninstalled it and reinstalled XP.
I had to wait until this last winter before installing Linux again, and I now love Kubuntu (mainly because I'm more used to KDE than to Gnome I guess).

To be fair, you don't have to -buy- those things to get decent solutions. There are free solutions available.
Amen to that.
I dual boot (Kubuntu + W7) and never had any virus-related trouble.
I must admit that though being annoying UAC helps ;)

kennedyvelez
June 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Only Good Things Will Happen with Ubuntu...

kennedyvelez
June 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM
There's nothing wrong with uninstalling Linux if you can't get used to it. I also did it once.
I used to use some KDE-based distro at uni, then never interested in Linux for a couple of years.
I got a copy of Ubuntu 7.04 in the summer of 2007 and said "well, let's try it out" but never clicked with it at the point that I eventually uninstalled it and reinstalled XP.
I had to wait until this last winter before installing Linux again, and I now love Kubuntu (mainly because I'm more used to KDE than to Gnome I guess).

Amen to that.
I dual boot (Kubuntu + W7) and never had any virus-related trouble.
I must admit that though being annoying UAC helps ;)

Dual boot is good... wubi!!!

kaldor
June 8th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Wubi is an abomination !

I used that when I first tried Ubuntu, but it just had too many issues and glitches by needing to rely on Windows too much.

forrestcupp
June 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM
mamamia88 needs to update his/her original post. S/he figured out that the /media folder disappeared and that was the whole problem. You guys just missed that post, I guess.

chriswyatt
June 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM
And when you get one little (probably fixable) issue with Windows what are you going to move to then? This thread is stupid, should be locked.

libssd
June 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I boot the HDD into Windows about once a month to deal with XP and security updates. The experience is so horrible that I shut it down and reboot in Ubuntu as soon as possible. Recently I switched to a 32gb SSD, which is Ubuntu only.

kelvin spratt
June 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I don't suppose the original poster has run a disc check on his flash drive. as most problems stem from not unmounting correctly.

BigSilly
June 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I went back to Windows recently. I say I "went back" but really I still use Linux more. I do kind of like Windows 7, but it's...I dunno, still a pain! I find I have to do a lot of searching to get free apps for the stuff I might need.

Such as recently, I had to get a PDF reader for W7. Everyone on the net recommended Foxit reader, so I gave it a go. It's pretty good, but there's a bug with the Firefox plugin they've not fixed, and it's been like that for ages. What a pain. I now get constant notifications about it from the Windows Security Centre, and I can't seem to fix it. Also, I'm finding lots of free apps badger you to register or upgrade constantly, or worse still install extra bits and bobs you don't need because you didn't want to say no to a bit of software 'cos you simply didn't know what it was! What's Foxit Phantom? Meh, install it and hope. I'm suddenly finding what was at first a simple PDF reader, has now become a huge program that gripes all the time!

I only really got Windows 7 because I managed to bag a cheap pre-order at £50, and because I thought I'd buy a couple of games to push the graphics card a bit. But in all, I still end up back using Ubuntu/Linux, simply because it's easy to use and self contained.

Like today, I needed a way to convert an MP4 video file into MP3 audio. A quick Google, and two minutes later I'm using the incredibly simple Sound Converter straight out of the Ubuntu repository. Job complete in 5 minutes. If I was using W7, I would have had to search much deeper to find an appropriate app. User reviews...does it install anything nasty...will it nag at me...? Easier to use Linux rather than mess about.

Sorry for the long post!

Sealbhach
June 8th, 2010, 04:22 PM
No, I'm against the Windows EULA and proprietary type stuff in general. If I have a problem in Linux I fix it or if it can't be fixed I find some other way to do what I need to do or else I just put up with the inconvenience.

Nothing is worth the hassle of living under the Apple or Microsoft regimes.

Kazade
June 8th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Wubi is an abomination !

I used that when I first tried Ubuntu, but it just had too many issues and glitches by needing to rely on Windows too much.

Agreed. IMO Wubi shouldn't be used for anything more than really occasional Ubuntu usage (e.g. Internet banking type stuff only). If you plan to do anything in Ubuntu that involves saving data to the hard disc then you want a proper dual boot setup...

The reason is that Wubi installs Ubuntu to a file, and that file depends on the integrity of the NTFS file system it is installed to. If you forget to shut down Windows properly and then try to boot Ubuntu it can get *really* screwed up.

EDIT: I guess I should answer the question. No, I never consider going back to Windows.

Jahocolips
June 8th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I agree with Sealbhach. The few inconveniences of Ubuntu bugs are smothered in shadows by the grandeur of being apart of the open source community, and supporting the philosophy that knowledge and information belong to everyone.

I could never embrace something I don't believe in, just for convenience.

Kazade
June 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I guess another thing to think about is; if there is a problem in Ubuntu that makes you consider going back to Windows the real solution is to do what you can to fix the problem.

Frak
June 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
*ehem*

[SOLVED]

clanky
June 8th, 2010, 08:12 PM
turns out /media folder somehow dissappeared. i have no idea how though

Hope you have been able to sort it out?

I have never actually stopped using Windows, apart from the fact that there is stuff that I need Windows for and couldn't be without, every computer i have ever owned has had Windows pre-installed and it seems silly to remove a perfectly good operating system that I have (in one form or another paid for).

If you haven't solved your problems and you want to stick with Ubuntu then a re-install (after backing everything up) should sort it.

madjr
June 8th, 2010, 08:31 PM
sometimes updates break stuff

when everything works for me i rarely upgrade stuff in my system, because things sometimes get broken.

this is why i like the linuxmint approach about updates

good thing i keep live-cd just in case an update breaks something

am looking forward to brtfs in ubuntu, where every update will have a snapshot and revert back if you need to

Spike-X
June 8th, 2010, 09:30 PM
To address the original question...

No, I've never considered going back to Windows. There's nothing I do with a computer I can't do with Linux, without all the headaches.

Ric_NYC
June 8th, 2010, 11:44 PM
"Neva"!

sixstorm
June 9th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I work with Windows for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and some on the weekends. It's nice to come home to a laptop and desktop that are on Ubuntu, a completely different OS.

I still have Windows partitions for work and for gaming, but other than that I use Ubuntu.

mamamia88
June 9th, 2010, 02:49 AM
yes everyone i fixed it just glad i didn't take rash measures. guess i was asking in wrong place earlier in beginners talk instead of general help.

squilookle
June 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I have gone back to Windows on my desktop. Bought a new one with Windows 7 preloaded and it didn't annoy me enough to go to the effort of installing anything else.

I still feed my Linux addiction with my servers :)

KingYaba
June 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I dual boot because I won't like WINE. Playing DotA in Ubuntu was not that great. I'd rather have picture-perfect game play.