PDA

View Full Version : Dell Streak, what does everyone think?

Payteer
June 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
So the Dell Streak is out with O2 in the UK. Expensive tariffs, but apart from that what does everyone think of it? Has anyone got one yet?

Lightstar
June 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I'm interested in seeing it. But I think it's too expensive for my taste and needs.

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I like it! :)

That's the size a portable web device should be.

samalex
June 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Is this (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/engadgets-dell-streak-review-is-it-more-appealing-than-the-htc-evo-4g/3357) what you guys are talking about??? If so I don't know if I'd call a 5" screen a tablet.

Honestly I love the size of the iPad, and if someone would come out with a device like that running Android I'd get it. I'm looking for something to be an e-reader above all else, and I want a good sized screen for that.

Sam

jerenept
June 7th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Maybe you should use your Trash-80 ;):P

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Is this (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/engadgets-dell-streak-review-is-it-more-appealing-than-the-htc-evo-4g/3357) what you guys are talking about??? If so I don't know if I'd call a 5" screen a tablet.

Honestly I love the size of the iPad, and if someone would come out with a device like that running Android I'd get it. I'm looking for something to be an e-reader above all else, and I want a good sized screen for that.

Sam

The Kindle size is very effective since you control the font size.

Payteer
June 8th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I believe Dell are in talks with the Kindle people about having an app for the Streak.

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I believe Dell are in talks with the Kindle people about having an app for the Streak.

but would it be in e-ink.

Payteer
June 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Nope, that will be the new Kindle coming out in August. It is Android 1.6 at present with the upgrade to 2.2 when that comes out.

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Nope, that will be the new Kindle coming out in August. It is Android 1.6 at present with the upgrade to 2.2 when that comes out.

Right, so not exactly a replacement for a Kindle or any other true e-reader.

Tristam Green
June 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
It's a really big phone.

Or is it a mini-tablet?

Payteer
June 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Or a small tablet, depends how you look at it. It ain't an e-reader in the true sense of the word, however

Just found out that the 32Gig version is out on the 21st June in the UK.

madjr
June 8th, 2010, 08:34 PM

android has a kindle app

we should note that the streak is to compete with ipod touch, but big bigger and extra functions

RobertSwipe
June 25th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I've now had a Streak for a couple of days. The display is terrific, but the pocketability size is going to take some getting used to. It does fit into a shirt top pocket, but I keep getting told off by my SO for ruining it (the shirt that is). Not sure that's true, though... It also fits in jeans pockets but it somewhat awkward when going upstairs or slobbing out on the settee in front of the TV.

It ships at present with Android 1.6, with a promise of upgrade to 2.2 sometime soon (I've seen September on one site).

As someone who generally uses a phone as a phone, it's far more than I would have chosen, but I think if I can alter my lifestyle slightly, it will become an essential tool.

Web browsing is great on it, and scrolling seems responsive. The only issue I've had with responsiveness is a few screens where touching an edit box or the "save" button doesn't seem to work always. I suspect this sort of thing may be fixed in 2.2. The edit box should bring up a keyboard, but you can always get around that by holding the "menu" button - it forces the keyboard to be displayed. When the "save" or "edit" buttons don't seem to work (not very often), it seems to have done the action anyway, and backing out of the screen hasn't lost anything.

The apps are generally good, and the apps store (called "The Market") has loads of stuff available, much of it free, and a proportion priced from £0.99 through to £7.99 (hmmm - the ol' 99p trick is a common feature).

It works with all my bluetooth gizmos, but I haven't yet linked it up to the car (a job for the weekend).

Sound is good, videos (the bits that I've tried in two days) seem good, and photos & videos taken on it are very good (compared to my old N95). Wifi works well, and the changeover from wifi to 3G seems smooth in the one situation where it was necessary.

I don't know yet if I can make VoIP calls. I haven't tried using the Dell PC Suite, and although there's no specific Linux synching software supplied, it works as a USB drive quite happily.

Lots more playing yet to be done!

kaldor
June 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Is it powerful enough to run a really lightweight Linux distro (aside from Android) I wonder? Seems powerful ;)

I like the looks of it. It seems like a "useful" iPad. I'd still rather a netbook though.

amazingtaters
June 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I want one badly. However, they're not being picked up by a carrier in the US yet. I could get an unlocked one and use it just fine with my AT&T service, but I'm more inclined to wait and use my upgrade to get the Samsung Captivate (read Galaxy S) when it comes out later this summer. The Streak/Mini5 has pretty much been my dream phone though. Check it out over at Engadget, they have a whole hub that will provide you with all the info you could ever need.

kamaboko
June 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Bad name for a product. Sounds like someone got a wedgie.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u166/marpibeach/wedgie1.jpg

LMP900
June 25th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Is it powerful enough to run a really lightweight Linux distro (aside from Android) I wonder? Seems powerful ;)

I like the looks of it. It seems like a "useful" iPad. I'd still rather a netbook though.

I'd love to see something like Maemo or MeeGo on this thing.

katg
August 4th, 2010, 11:00 AM
hi,
just found this thread whilst searching, has anyone got a streak and can comment on how well it works in ubuntu?
I really want to order one, but would feel alot more confident if i know i can plug it in and it'll be detected, or detected with a little fiddling.
Thanks

amitabhishek
August 4th, 2010, 11:15 AM
http://www.taranfx.com/install-ubuntu-on-nexus-one

Both share same processor. Things should work.

katg
August 4th, 2010, 11:21 AM
nice, i'd only been wondering about getting it detected as mass storage for transferring files with my desktop, but thats a neat idea, actually getting it running on it. Not great if i'm gonna have it as a phone though unfortunatly

amitabhishek
August 4th, 2010, 12:00 PM
nice, i'd only been wondering about getting it detected as mass storage for transferring files with my desktop, but thats a neat idea, actually getting it running on it. Not great if i'm gonna have it as a phone though unfortunatly

It will always mount as mass storage device. No problem there.

katg
August 4th, 2010, 12:04 PM
It will always mount as mass storage device. No problem there.

ah brill, had mp3 players that was about 6 months before i could get it detected before, so just wanted to check!
Now to wait until after my holiday to order, getting tight for delivery before I go on friday

Shibblet
August 19th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I think I had to send it back.

Dell has released two versions of the phone. One for $299.95 with a 2 Year AT&T contract, and an unsubsidized version for $549.95 without the AT&T contract.

I ordered the one without the AT&T contract.

Now, I was a bit disheartened when I opened the box and saw an AT&T Sim Card inside that needed to be activated.

"Oh, that must be for people who get the $299.95 version, and need to sign up with AT&T." I said to myself. "They could do it quickly over the phone."

WRONG!!! The unsubsidized version is still locked for use only with AT&T.

I called Dell immediately. "Can I get an unlock code?" I asked.

"Certainly." replied the nice lady on the phone on Monday the 16th of August, 2010.

Today, August 19th, 2010; a Thursday, I received a phone call from Dell, and I was ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that they were calling with my unlock code.

WRONG AGAIN!!!

They were calling to let me know that they were unable to get the codes from AT&T, and that they weren't sure when they would be getting them.

Oh well, looks like the Streak is going back to Dell. One day, when they have an unlocked version, I may jump back in, but until then...