PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 official release date Jun 24.

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 08:49 PM
And it will be AT&T only (arguably the worse service of any large communications provider). It will tether, but there will a $20 Tether Tax.

No thanks Apple! I can tether with your old model without paying a tax.

www.apple.com

Joeb454
June 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
You're picking up a negative point here - it's always been that way, that isn't some new 'feature' of the iPhone 4 :)

whiskeylover
June 7th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Meh

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM
You're picking up a negative point here - it's always been that way, that isn't some new 'feature' of the iPhone 4 :)

In North America, AT&T had Apple disable the tethering on the 3G(s). You have to jail break NA phones to tether.

There were a lot of rumors you could pick your provider between Verizon and AT&T, but the rumors proved to be false.

cbecker78
June 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM

Umm.. technically, you have to pay the tether fees on the old models too. The only way around that is a jailbreak... which I'm sure will be coming pretty quickly after the release of the iphone 4, also...

Merk42
June 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM

...and the lack of tethering/limit on tethering is the fault of AT&T, not Apple.

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Umm.. technically, you have to pay the tether fees on the old models too. The only way around that is a jailbreak... which I'm sure will be coming pretty quickly after the release of the iphone 4, also...

You did not have any option to tether the 3G(s) in NA. It was forbidden, and tethering apps were removed from the store.

The only way to do it was jail-breaking. Which works pretty good.

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
nevermind

TheNerdAL
June 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM
So let me guess, iPhone is not coming to Verizon? :(

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
So let me guess, iPhone is not coming to Verizon? :(

Nope. I was hoping, but not expecting it.

Not sure what Apple is thinking, but AT&T exclusive is perhaps the worst decision they could have made. I'm not alone in that assessment.

TheNerdAL
June 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Not sure what Apple is thinking, but AT&T exclusive is perhaps the worst decision they could have made. I'm not alone in that assessment.

I agree AT&T sucks! D:<

wipeout140
June 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM
funny thing is in the United Kingdom, the iphone is available on at least 4 mobile networks, but overall it looks like a good update but i will be sticking with android

whiskeylover
June 7th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Although Verizon has better coverage, they refuse to conform to standards and adapt to GSM. They still are CDMA.

yester64
June 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM
This is kinda funny.
Why does AT&T suck? I use Att and have no problems.
But let me guess. If other carriers would have it, they would pretty quick too.

TheNerdAL
June 7th, 2010, 10:10 PM
This is kinda funny.

Bad customer service.

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 10:14 PM
This is kinda funny.

I can only speak as a customer who has spent about $200,000 with AT&T over the last 20 years. Probably more, certainly over $15k last year alone.

Their customer service has been in a sharp decline for at least 5 years. Budget cuts? I don't know.

The most recent was trying to cancel a 3G USB dongle. It took over 2 hours straight on the phone to get a RMA number for a non-working device. They didn't want to take it back. It was 2 days old and they knew it wouldn't work. Perhaps even before they sold it. I was told it would work, but they were wrong.

But that was just the most recent. Similar issues with landlines, DSL, cellphones, ISP services, etc, keep getting handled worse and worse.

As long as you have no customer service needs, you are fine. Heaven help you if you need assistance though.

Now someone will ask what kind of idiot I am. It was the Frog in the Skillet routine. If you turn the heat up fast, it jumps right out. So you turn it up slowly to fry it.

This frog just cancelled our DSL/ISP, half the landlines, 2 cells, and both USB dongles. About 2/3 rds of our AT&T services have been removed this year so far.

I used to think of AT&T as a great supplier for our needs, but they let me down. I owe them no loyalty; they had plenty of time to make corrections and refused.

yester64
June 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Bad customer service.

Can't confirm that. I had good experience.
I am not pledging for any company since i don't have any preferences, but as far as experience goes, mine is pretty good.

Anyway, the iphone reminded me on my toshiba mp3 player.

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Can't confirm that. I had good experience.
I am not pledging for any company since i don't have any preferences, but as far as experience goes, mine is pretty good.

Anyway, the iphone reminded me on my toshiba mp3 player.

Certainly not everyone has had bad luck with AT&T or they would be gone (except in their monopoly areas).

I'm all about choices. I should be able to chose the phone AND the service provider if possible. So if I have problems with one, I can try the other.

In my case, my AT&T services in this region are in decline and I want to spend my money with someone else.

Colonel Kilkenny
June 7th, 2010, 10:59 PM
...and the lack of tethering/limit on tethering is the fault of AT&T, not Apple.

Of course it's also Apple's fault. Apple knew that AT&T can do stuff like that and it was okay for them (as long as Apple gets large sum of money in return). Apple could have chosen another way but they didn't, even though they knew what to expect.

jrothwell97
June 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Of course it's also Apple's fault. Apple knew that AT&T can do stuff like that and it was okay for them (as long as Apple gets large sum of money in return). Apple could have chosen another way but they didn't, even though they knew what to expect.

Wrong. ATT have an exclusivity deal with Apple (no-one's quite sure for how long, possibly five years putting its expiration at the end of 2011.)

In the UK, it's been possible to use internet tethering on iPhones for months.

(In all probability, Apple almost certainly sees AT&T as their biggest liability in the US market right now, and they're probably kicking themselves for the exclusivity deal.)

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 11:16 PM

No, it's AT&T. The iPhone could always tether from initial design:

http://www.apple.com/search/?q=tethering&sec=global

WOW!!! Apple deleted the page! :D

Giant Speck
June 7th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I want it.

I don't care if it makes me an Apple fanboy.
I don't care if it makes me a consumawhore.
I don't care if it makes me look like a tool.
I don't care if it sheds a negative light on my character.

I want it.

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I want it.

I want it.

Orders will be taken the 15th, there will be a line.

Apple could sell an abacus right now, and there would be a waiting list. The line for iPad 3g's is about a month.

TheNerdAL
June 7th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I want it.

I want it.

I heard iPhones attract the ladies. :)

McRat
June 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I heard iPhones attract the ladies. :)

Remember that I AM RICH application?

You sent in $1000 or something like that, just to make your iPhone say I AM RICH!!!

People actually bought it. Hmmm...

Now, register as an iPhone developer ($99), and make an app: I Am Hung Like A Mule app for $1000...

Giant Speck
June 8th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Remember that I AM RICH application?

You sent in $1000 or something like that, just to make your iPhone say I AM RICH!!!

People actually bought it. Hmmm...

Now, register as an iPhone developer ($99), and make an app: I Am Hung Like A Mule app for $1000...

Eight people purchased the app (though one of those eight claims that he purchased it accidentally, lolwut) before Apple removed it from the App Store.

I think you can still find the app on the Android Marketplace for $200.

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 12:33 AM
*hugs Evo 4G*

Giant Speck
June 8th, 2010, 12:38 AM
*hugs Evo 4G*
If I weren't so loyal to my iPhone or stuck with AT&T (the latter is slightly more true than the former), I would so get an EVO.

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I still have mine, but my ATT contract is up in August. On top of that, ATT is rubbish where I live and of course the plans are more expensive.

The default email client on the Evo is crap though, compared to the iPhone.

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 12:54 AM
iPhone is the best phone ever in my opinion. :P If they would change to Verizon Wireless then it would be the best! :D

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 01:17 AM
iPhone is the best phone ever in my opinion. :P If they would change to Verizon Wireless then it would be the best! :D

Has your opinion ever used the HTC Evo?

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Has your opinion ever used the HTC Evo?

That would be the 2nd best phone ever in my opinion, if you compare the screens with iPhone 4, you'll notice that iPhone's screen is way better, although Evo's screen is bigger, but iPhone 4's screen has a better resolution meaning it has a better screen. :P

linux-hack
June 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM
And it will be AT&T only (arguably the worse service of any large communications provider). It will tether, but there will a $20 Tether Tax.

www.apple.com

This is a way of apple to copy the forbidden fruit politics... so people will end up buying it :lolflag:

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 01:38 AM
That would be the 2nd best phone ever in my opinion, if you compare the screens with iPhone 4, you'll notice that iPhone's screen is way better, although Evo's screen is bigger, but iPhone 4's screen has a better resolution meaning it has a better screen. :P

more resolution on a smaller screen does not equal "better".

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 01:42 AM
more resolution on a smaller screen does not equal "better".

More resolution and RD (Or whatever it is called.)

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Lol, all caught up in the marketing. It's okay, you'll learn.

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Lol, all caught up in the marketing. It's okay, you'll learn.

Lol, It has more features with the screen but I forgot. I was reading the live updates on Engadget, lol.

McRat
June 8th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a Chick Magnet that surrounds the inside of the case.

Just your standard electromagnet, but it's dipped in testosterone.

PhoenixMaster00
June 8th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I dont know... I was pretty disappointed with the new iPhone today. nothing that made it stand out. Ill stick with my Nexus One I think. Although i must admit it does look pretty good looks wise

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a Chick Magnet that surrounds the inside of the case.

Just your standard electromagnet, but it's dipped in testosterone.

Lol, I wonder what girls do when they are around an iPad. :O

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 01:50 AM

Wear it?

McRat
June 8th, 2010, 01:51 AM

You don't want to know. Whatever it is, it's only once every month...

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I dont know... I was pretty disappointed with the new iPhone today. nothing that made it stand out. Ill stick with my Nexus One I think. Although i must admit it does look pretty good looks wise

What?! Really?! Why?! It's thinner, two cameras better screen! How dare you say you are disapointed! :P

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 01:52 AM
What?! Really?! Why?! It's thinner, two cameras better screen! How dare you say you are disapointed! :P

5MP and a VGA camera. Meh.

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 01:52 AM
5MP and a VGA camera. Meh.

But there are other things that make the picture stunning other than the mega pixels, you weren't paying attention to Steve! :P

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Shill alert.

Minipalmer
June 8th, 2010, 01:55 AM
The release was just announced and I'm already tired of it! Everyone is a buzz about the phone that tweaked its size for another $300! What gives?!

Now I will say, it is a very nice phone. However, the majority of people that will be buying it already have an iPhone, so they are shelling out all that extra money for a phone that shaved off a few millimeters.

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 01:57 AM
The release was just announced and I'm already tired of it! Everyone is a buzz about the phone that tweaked its size for another $300! What gives?!

Now I will say, it is a very nice phone. However, the majority of people that will be buying it already have an iPhone, so they are shelling out all that extra money for a phone that shaved off a few millimeters.

$200 bucks at least and it has a better screen, if you don't want it, don't get it. :P

Giant Speck
June 8th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Since the iPhone 4 is supposed to be thinner than the 3G(S), I wonder how awkward the transition is going to be from the 3G(S) to the 4.

Because I have an iPhone 3G and an iPod Touch 3rd Gen. It feels odd to use the iPod Touch because it's so much thinner and lighter than the iPhone.

McRat
June 8th, 2010, 01:58 AM

Not me. It doesn't do anything that my 3Gs won't.

Unless someone buys me one... I didn't buy my 3Gs either, nor would I have.

PhoenixMaster00
June 8th, 2010, 02:31 AM

Haha sure but the Evo can do video conferencing on 3G/4G as can the Dell Streak. It wont take to long for another company to match the screen. Plus I would like to see it compared to Samsungs SuperAmoled screen. Wallpaper, multi tasking and folders nothing new. Yes its thinner but I already said i liked the looks of it :P Just feels like I have seen it all before. iPhone set the bar again sure but not by the same margins we had been expecting. Everything is just moving to fast. By the time Google role out 2.3 Gingerbread(?) we could be seeing dual core 1.3 GHz Snapdragon chips or Tegra 2 with Super Amoled high resolution screens as the standard.
At the end of the day though for Games and Music currently iPhone has the better quality and variety and people have already made sizeable investments in apps, games and music. And the phone itself is very well specced. To each is own.

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Haha sure but the Evo can do video conferencing on 3G/4G as can the Dell Streak. It wont take to long for another company to match the screen. Plus I would like to see it compared to Samsungs SuperAmoled screen. Wallpaper, multi tasking and folders nothing new. Yes its thinner but I already said i liked the looks of it :P Just feels like I have seen it all before. iPhone set the bar again sure but not by the same margins we had been expecting. Everything is just moving to fast. By the time Google role out 2.3 Gingerbread(?) we could be seeing dual core 1.3 GHz Snapdragon chips or Tegra 2 with Super Amoled high resolution screens as the standard.
At the end of the day though for Games and Music currently iPhone has the better quality and variety and people have already made sizeable investments in apps, games and music. And the phone itself is very well specced. To each is own.

Good point, you explained yourself well. :P

user1397
June 8th, 2010, 02:50 AM
whats the point?

just get a droid

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 02:56 AM
whats the point?

just get a droid

The point is that each phone has their pros and cons. :)

Merk42
June 8th, 2010, 04:07 AM
The point is that each phone has their pros and cons. :)
Do they?
You seem to be gushing about the iPhone4 like it's some flawless device (until the iPhone5 comes out)

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Do they?
You seem to be gushing about the iPhone4 like it's some flawless device (until the iPhone5 comes out)

It's awesome but it would've been better with a larger screen.

Yes
June 8th, 2010, 04:13 AM
It looks pretty nice, but I would never even consider it as long as it's only with AT&T. I didn't even get service in my home with them, now with Verizon I get service everywhere I go.

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 04:15 AM
It's awesome but it would've been better with a larger screen.

Lol.

AllRadioisDead
June 8th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I'll stick with android.

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 04:21 AM
...now with Verizon I get service everywhere I go.

Are you getting paid for that? :P

Yes
June 8th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Are you getting paid for that? :P

Do you think I'm kidding? Literally the only places I haven't had service were on a plane and on the subway. Pictures take seconds to send, even in my house. With AT&T I used to have to go stand outside for a few attempts before I could get a picture to send. And it's not even like I'm out in rural Pennsylvania, I'm in a very densely populated area.

McRat
June 8th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Do you think I'm kidding? Literally the only places I haven't had service were on a plane and on the subway. Pictures take seconds to send, even in my house. With AT&T I used to have to go stand outside for a few attempts before I could get a picture to send. And it's not even like I'm out in rural Pennsylvania, I'm in a very densely populated area.

We are in the center of Southern California and have AT&T. In a hundred mile radius there is over 15,000,000 people, maybe 20 million, and are in the "Max Coverage" area on the AT&T map. The reception is pretty spotty. A lot of dropped calls.

TheNerdAL
June 8th, 2010, 05:07 AM

I'm a fan of Verizon.