PDA

View Full Version : video chat on smartphone

chris200x9
June 7th, 2010, 07:58 PM
the new iphone has video chat, so I got to thinking is video chat on a cell phone a good idea? I mean it sounds cool and has many spur of the moment benefits opposed to online video chat i.e your baby's first steps. I'm just afraid the cons outweigh the benefits, people are just going to be that much more oblivious to the world around them. For example jerks videochatting while walking almost walking into everyone. I don't know maybe it's just me...

sydbat
June 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM
the new iphone has video chat, so I got to thinking is video chat on a cell phone a good idea? I mean it sounds cool and has many spur of the moment benefits opposed to online video chat i.e your baby's first steps. I'm just afraid the cons outweigh the benefits, people are just going to be that much more oblivious to the world around them. For example jerks videochatting while driving, then driving into everyone. I don't know maybe it's just me...Fixed it...

chris200x9
June 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Fixed it...

I didn't even think of that but it's so true, we need to get Oprah on this ASAP!

telosin
June 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I definitely agree with both of you. Plus, because AT&T recently capped all it's data usage services so they're no longer unlimited, all this new IPhone stuff is gonna get really expensive quick. I mean streaming Netflix while having a data limit? Riiight, we'll see how long that lasts.

For now I'll stick to my Droid. (Open-source rocks!)

jrothwell97
June 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM
It's a nice toy, but it probably won't see much use outside the people who already use video chat.

*cough* I wrote a whole post explaining why here (http://crashedpips.com/2010/06/facetime-cool-but-a-toy/) *cough* </blatantplug>

LowSky
June 7th, 2010, 08:58 PM
The new iphone video chat app only works on Wifi as reported on engadget.
Actually thats what most of these new features will use eclusivily so that you don't use your phone's limited plan. I can get free wifi almost everywhere including hotels, McDonalds, and work. So I don't worry about my data usuage.

I just checked my usuage for the month and it was only 525MB. And that was wiith heavy use of youtube and other video apps

chris200x9
June 7th, 2010, 09:31 PM
The new iphone video chat app only works on Wifi as reported on engadget.
Actually thats what most of these new features will use eclusivily so that you don't use your phone's limited plan. I can get free wifi almost everywhere including hotels, McDonalds, and work. So I don't worry about my data usuage.

I just checked my usuage for the month and it was only 525MB. And that was wiith heavy use of youtube and other video apps

I know but it's supposed to be wifi only right now

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I know but it's supposed to be wifi only right now

What.

chris200x9
June 8th, 2010, 01:42 AM
What.

Steve said right now it's only wifi but will come to 3g

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Steve said right now it's only wifi but will come to 3g

If you would have actually read LowSky's post, you'd see that he already knew that.

chris200x9
June 8th, 2010, 02:16 AM
If you would have actually read LowSky's post, you'd see that he already knew that.

Maybe I'm dumb but can you quote where he said it only supports wifi atm he said according to engadget it only supports wifi. Did he reference any time? I'm quite aware that he said it's wifi only I was just saying: yes now it is but it will come to 3g. Is that ok with you?