PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing ubuntu onto formatted HDD

GoldRs3
June 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to installing OSs and such. Well I bought this old(and crappy) computer from a garage sale for $5.00, it came with monitor, keyboard, mouse, and printer. I couldn't pass it up. So after getting past the password locked account the owner failed to tell me about, I looked at the specs a little. So far all I know is it has 128mg RAM and a 32gb HDD. So from here I decided to wipe it, install GNOME(which i believe you need Ubuntu first) just for a cool look and for it to play music at this shop my parents own. So the intention is for it to do nothing but look pretty and play music. SO, after I formatted I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 desktop edition livecd and burned the ISO to a CD-r and booted the PC with it. It ran and a Ubuntu logo came up with a loading bar. Eventually it loaded and I got a background of a pretty moon and the mouse. And nothing else happened. At all. I retried three times with no avail. So, anyone want to to walk me through this? Thanks.

TL;DR:
Formatted HDD, ran Ubuntu livecd, never was able to install.

darkod
June 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I am surprised you could start live mode at all, 128MB ram is too little for Ubuntu. Maybe you could try with the lighter version, Xubuntu, or another option is Puppy Linux.

Wait for a second opinion but I don't think you will get anywhere with ubuntu on 128MB.

dabl
June 7th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Yep -- with 128MB you're going to be stuck with Damned Small Linux (DSL) or slax or something like that.