PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person who doesn't use a smartphone?

stuart.reinke
June 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Probably not but sometimes it feels like it.

If you are like me and use a "dumb"phone what are your reasons for not getting a smartphone. After all they are more like a small computer than a phone. (so I've been told) I tried out a BlackBerry for about a month and switched back to my MotoRazr VE20.

Here are my reasons for not using a smartphone:
1. extra cost per month for smartphone plan
2. more abilities than I need or want
3. web is dreadfully slow. (much slower than the mobile browser on my ve20)

If you use a smartphone and can't live without it let's hear from you too.

oldsoundguy
June 7th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I would rather use a dumb phone (less chance of getting it stolen) and carry a PDA. Using hot spots the PDA will run circles around any smart phone using g3-g4!(and cost you NOTHING as far as your minutes are concerned!)

Random_Dude
June 7th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Too expensive and don't need it.

Unless you're a very busy businessperson, I don't really see any other reason for having one. Maybe just to show off, or addiction to technology.

Cheers:cool:

kaldor

My reasons too. I'd rather a netbook.

McRat

If you are like me and use a "dumb"phone what are your reasons for not getting a smartphone. After all they are more like a small computer than a phone. (so I've been told) I tried out a BlackBerry for about a month and switched back to my MotoRazr VE20.

I never carried a phone daily until I was given an iPhone. I had many phones, I just left them sit. At first I let the iPhone just sit there, because I don't play Space Ninjas, surf the web, or need a Camptown Races ringtone.

I have a radio, a PS3, and a home computer, so I don't need my phone to do that.

But it was easier to use as a PHONE than the others I had. The "keys" are big, I can dial by voice, it's easy to add contacts, I can check my email if there is something critical. It's a great phone. Now, I even use it as a radio, and sometimes will visit a website when killing time waiting. Can't get into the games though on a 4" screen.

Now that I jailbroke it and can tether it, it replaces a $60/m USB 3G dongle for laptops.

But what I really only needed was a phone with large keys that was easy to add contacts to. None of the others I had would fit that bill.

Simian Man
June 7th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I use a dumb phone because I'm cheap. I want an Android phone because it would double as an Ogg player and handheld gaming platform and the ability to easily write my own programs on it would be awesome.

I'd almost never browse the web on it.

LowSky
June 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I was on a Blackberry Curve and I am now on a HTC Driod Incredible, and the internet experience became much better. And that is without using Wifi.

Now I will admit the smart phone craze is mostly to blame on businesses (just like Windows, LOL). People got so used to having blackberry's that they wanted them for personal use. Then the iPhone came along and changed the game for normal people. Everyone just wanted one. For me I use my phone for GPS, email, instant messaging and text messages, and the occasional youtube video or facebook update. Making calls is something I barely do anymore, which is sad because I rather make a 2 minute phone call instead of wating 5-10 minutes for someone to text me back a few times.

RiceMonster
June 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Dumb phone user here. I just need to be able to make calls, check the time, and send text messages. Cheaper plan, too.

meho_r
June 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
What is a smartphone? :P

proggy
June 7th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I have a land line phone , i have done without a smartphone till now and i`m doing ok .
I have a friend that sells smartphones and admits that it`s a gadget and a gold mine for the phone providers so it`s not ging away.

lostinxlation
June 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I have never felt a need to have a smart phone. For me, a phone is a device to TALK to someone with and I don't need to use it for data access. Plus, it's getting harder to see the tiny letters, lately.
If I need to access the internet, I'd rather get a small pc with 8 inch display.

Tjampman
June 7th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I use a dumb phone, too. I really like the iPhone with its interface and handling as such - but I loathe iTunes, and the connectivity of the iPhone, so I refuse to buy it.

I've had my eye out for the Google phone Nexus One, but it a bit hard to get.

CharlesA
June 7th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I've got a "semi" smartphone, it can connect via 3G, does GPS and junk that I never use. It's not a smartphone in that it doesn't have any apps.

I don't need a smartphone: they cost too much and the data plans are almost 1/2 the price of the regular plan itself.

stuart.reinke
June 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM
suddenly I don't feel so alone:lolflag:

Helkaluin
June 7th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Owner of a Nokia 1100 here.

It can phone, and it can text; does the things I need and does them well. I use my computer for computing.

hessiess
June 7th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I dont have any phone at all:)

donkyhotay
June 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I have about the dumbest phone possible. I ditched my cell phone a few years ago (couldn't afford the cost) so I only use a regular landline. Since then I've learned that despite however many people insist that a cell phone is "necessary" I prefer not having one. Even though it's a wireless technology I feel alot less "untethered" with just a landline then I ever did when I had a cell. Admittedly when I did have a cell phone I used an ipaq with an aircard expansion which was about as smart as one could get then (this was some time before the iphone came out).

WRDN
June 7th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I've been using my Sony Ericsson K750i (dumb phone), for a number of years now, and it has served its purpose perfectly.
It allows me to text/phone people on the move, and has a radio which is nice. Thats all I really need from a phone, I don't need to play the smart phone games (got high-spec PC and PS3), or use any of the other "brilliant apps" smart phones have.
The only useful application I can see is the GPS software for some smart phones, but again, I can live without it.

hellmet
June 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM
A couple of decades ago, there were no mobile phones. For me, a phone is only to be reachable by friends, family and colleagues. Anyone who tries to use it for other purposes (tele-marketing) are given an oral bashing.

RiceMonster
June 7th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I dont have any phone at all:)

Not even a land line?

MCVenom
June 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM

I've noticed the Blackberry Storm2s seem to be slower on the internet than my Droid... But that's subjective :P

Me, I have a Droid and I love it. It's like a handheld Linux computer; root access, overclocked, ads blocked, web everywhere I go (and I can turn the phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot :D), games, music, and as someone pointed out, even Ogg support (I also have Ubuntu installed to a ext4-formatted partition file and can use it when I need to run a few Linux programs (GUI through localhost VNC) or just play around in the command line ;)).

I like having my interwebs, files and music (once again, basically a computer) everywhere I go, and I've found services like Google's free Maps and Turn-by-Turn Navigation apps infinitely useful. Pretty much, taking the phone from me at this point would be like ripping my right arm from it's socket! :lolflag:

PS: I believe that the usefulness of smartphones justifies having to pay a bit more for them; but I would point out that if you got an Android phone on a data-only plan, it could potentially be cheaper than a conventional phone plan and you could make calls and send texts through Google Voice. ;)

yester64
June 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Nah, i don't use a smartphone. I got myself a messaging phone and even that is already an overkill for me.
In the first month i had also a dataplan, but to be honest, facebook did not draw me in and i got tired of seeing 'hey. last night was cool' messages.
So in the end, i canceled the dataplan (big savings).
I don't even have a lot of people i call which makes me a loner in this digitized world.
So no, you are not alone in not using a 'smart'phone which makes the companies reacher but you more poor.

I still can not see any value in most of the apps.

mr-woof
June 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM
old sony for me too, I'd like an iphone/blackberry/htc but I can't be paying those sorts of prices each month.

yester64
June 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
if my current phone breaks, i get a old phone with monochrome display like the siemens i had once. :)

PhilGil
June 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I use a "dumb smartphone." A couple of years ago I bought a used Blackberry on ebay. It's rather nice to have my entire contacts list and calendar with me at all times (and to be able to sync via USB). I do not have a data plan, however. If my carrier ever tried to force me into a data plan I would switch immediately to a dumb phone - just don't have that kind of money to burn every month.

I've put a free java game or two on it, but that's about it for Apps.

e24ohm
June 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I use a dumb phone because I'm cheap. I want an Android phone because it would double as an Ogg player and handheld gaming platform and the ability to easily write my own programs on it would be awesome.

I'd almost never browse the web on it.funny that you mention .ogg player. To be honest that is the only reason why I want an Android phone.

sunk8
June 7th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Man,
I got a smartphone just a few days back...
But I really miss my dumbphone (Hey, we've just coined a new word!)
It had FM Radio (the smartphone doesn't)
But my college's WiFi, so I am on a downloading spree... Works for me... :)

e24ohm
June 7th, 2010, 07:12 PM
No smartphone for me as well. I am with a CDMA carrier in the US, and I only wish my carrier would carry those simple candybar Nokia phones....Oh...those nice Nokias...

cheers!!!

Dixon Bainbridge
June 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM

I don't use one either, never will. I really don't see the point of them.

sunk8
June 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM
No smartphone for me as well. I am with a CDMA carrier in the US, and I only wish my carrier would carry those simple candybar Nokia phones....Oh...those nice Nokias...
cheers!!!

I've got an old Nokia 3310. My best phone ever... ;-)
It comes with an addictive game called space impact.
Besides it allows a user to call and sms.
What else does one need?

OGpmpdog
I only have a land-line; ditched my dumbphone about 6 years ago...

Didnt like the monthly cost, didnt like the world knowing where I was whenever the cell was turned on...

These bells and whistles with these new phones = your monthly bill being between 80-100 bucks - when the bill used to be 40-50 bucks.

No, youre not alone - in fact - you are in an exclusive fraternity :)

aysiu
Having upgraded from a "dumb phone" to a smart phone less than a year ago, here are some things I've found it handy for (none of which is a necessity, of course): Our public transit system has this thing called "Nextbus" that tells you (with about 80-90% accuracy, even though it should be 100%) when the next bus will be arriving. Very handy for getting about the city without a car (my wife and I don't own one). A smartphone makes it easy to bookmark various bus lines and stops and check them to see if we should hang out in a store for a bit, walk instead, or take a different bus line instead to get where we want to go. Every now and then I have an "I wish I had a camera" moment. Sure, I'll bring a camera to certain events or social gatherings, but I'm not going to lug a dedicated camera around with me all the time. It's nice with a smartphone to just have a built-in (albeit crappy) camera to capture those spontaneous moments. There are times when my wife and I rent a car to drive somewhere, and the built-in turn-by-turn navigation and GPS my phone has are also pretty handy in those situations, so we don't get lost. The maps also have layers to show you where the traffic is heaviest. When out to a restaurant, there is a tip calculator app that allows you to dynamically see how much to tip based on the tip percentage and how many people you're splitting the check between. You can easily share photos with people you're talking to. "Oh, you got a new dog? What does it look like?" "Well, here. Let me show you..." You can settle arguments on the spot with a quick internet search of IMDB.com or Wikipedia. Google Voice voicemail transcriptions. A quick way to scroll through contacts. That's all I can think of for now, but there's more. Basically, it's just convenience for random things. Again, nothing essential. But then again is a dumb phone even essential? I know people who just don't have mobile phones at all, and they seem to get by just fine.

Technology is for fun and convenience. It doesn't have to be about necessity.

KingYaba
June 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Don't care for smartphones. They are expensive and the data plans are worse. Especially AT&T's.

aysiu
June 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM
These bells and whistles with these new phones = your monthly bill being between 80-100 bucks - when the bill used to be 40-50 bucks. I have a smartphone with an unlimited data plan, and my bill is $54 a month (including tax). I didn't buy text messaging, but with Google Voice, I get free text messaging.

sunk8
June 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I have a smartphone with an unlimited data plan, and my bill is $54 a month (including tax). I didn't buy text messaging, but with Google Voice, I get free text messaging.

I believe Gizmo5 even lets you call for free. I found it in the Medibuntu repos.

PS: I love ur utorials on psychocats... ;-)

McRat
June 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
... I know people who just don't have mobile phones at all, and they seem to get by just fine.

Technology is for fun and convenience. It doesn't have to be about necessity.

^word^

I went decades without carrying a phone. It's not a necessity.

zakshdw
June 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
i guess a smart phone is a phone that can do everything really, one of the usually very expensive ones such as an iPhone

they're are very useful but don't really replace a laptop or a desktop :)

kamaboko
June 7th, 2010, 07:51 PM
i've got a basic phone. it does the job.

Jose Catre-Vandis
June 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Dumbphone here too; Nokia 6310i. Reason; my FFRR has the car kit for this phone, linked into the computer for the car, so I can dial out and receive through the car. I'm on PAYG too. Also have the same car kit in my wifes car. That's as far as my phone technology goes. Make and receive phone calls, change ringtone to "telephone ringing", use alarm to wake me up in the morning (phone is so dumb I have to set it each night!)

Shining Arcanine
June 7th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I don't use a smart phone. The only reason I use my phone is to call people, so extra features really are not useful to me, but the idea of having my phone be a computational device like my laptop has recently made me open to the idea. Unfortunately, Virgin Mobile does not offer any phones with open hardware, so the "smart phones" that they do offer are all useless to me. It would be different if they ran Android, because then it would be possible for me to write my own programs for the phone or even flash my favorite OS (Gentoo Linux) onto the phone.

wilee-nilee
June 7th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I'm barely smart enough to use a dumb phone. Or is it that dumb phone.](*,)

windycitybro
June 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Nope, there are at least 2 of us...lol

e24ohm
June 7th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I have a smartphone with an unlimited data plan, and my bill is $54 a month (including tax). I didn't buy text messaging, but with Google Voice, I get free text messaging.
Is that just data? I can see a smartphone only with a dataplance and use some database app for voice calls, like Skype; however, wow...54 a month for unlimited data....must be in your region, because data in the US is at a premium on the top 3 networks, yet 54 a month sound about right for T-mobile.

I never had T-mobile, and hear mixed results, but I do like their pricing.

aysiu
June 7th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Is that just data? I can see a smartphone only with a dataplance and use some database app for voice calls, like Skype; however, wow...54 a month for unlimited data....must be in your region, because data in the US is at a premium on the top 3 networks, yet 54 a month sound about right for T-mobile.

I never had T-mobile, and hear mixed results, but I do like their pricing.
It's T-Mobile and includes about 300 minutes of talk and unlimited data. Unfortunately, they don't offer my plan any more (and it hasn't been even a year!).

The current plans are slightly more expensive, but not as expensive as AT&T or Verizon.

I've had a good experience with T-Mobile.

stuart.reinke
June 7th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Last year i helped my 85 year old grandpa get hooked up with jitterbug. Best phone in the world for him. Does nothing at all but calls. Big phone big screen big buttons. It reminds me of the first phone i got 10 years ago. :)

angry_johnnie
June 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM
dumb phone user :p

i only use it for calling, anyway.
for everything else, i'd rather use a computer.

Lightstar
June 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM
no cell phone here, smart or not.

I might get one though... I'm starting to need to carry around my schedule and busy agenda. But smartphones are way expensive, and the lowest cell phone "plan" is $50 per month here, crazy.

djheadley
June 7th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I guess I'm not all alone, thinking a phone should just be used for calls (I consider texting as calls - I also don't text very much). If I want to get on the web then I'll either go home or use my laptop. I also am having more and more trouble seeing smaller screens.

libssd
June 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
TracFone @ $99.99/year, double minutes for life of phone. I've never used up all my minutes (which roll over indefinitely). Motorola flip phone, with a USB port for charging, so I can charge it from my netbook.

jerenept
June 7th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Dumb phone user... use it 4 calls and free facebook on WAP/GPRS :P

Mariane
June 7th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Dumbphone. At least when I'm away from my computer I don't have internet access. I can't read my emails. And that is exactly as I want it, I spend enough time online as it is.

I spend way too much time online, to tell the truth. I need a smartphone like I need to catch malaria.

Mariane

tom.swartz07
June 7th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I have a POS LG Shine on ATT. It was pretty decent when it came out a few years ago, but a firmware upgrade that ATT pushed (without my consent) left a few of the pixels on the screen acting up. They work when I turn the phone on or off, but when it's 'booted' and running, a good 50-60 pixels are dead.

ATT is absolutely terrible service, and is probably the main source of arguments among my family.

Bleh.

Long story short, I have a dumbphone on ATT, which makes it even less productive than most others. haha

dragos240
June 7th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Dumbphone here.

sgosnell
June 7th, 2010, 11:33 PM
The data plans are way too expensive. Smartphones cost about double what I paid for my netbook. So no, I have no plans to buy one.

drumsticks
June 7th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I won't be getting a new phone (smart or dumb) unless its battery life is longer than my existing phone - a Sony Ericsson T39m bought in 2002 [sic]. Eight years later, I still managed a 2 hour call, and even that is after 3 days of not charging. The call ended before the battery did.

I hardly make calls that long, but a part of me wanted it to be longer just to test the phone's battery! I hope it can last me another 2 years to make it a decade...

All my iPhone using friends charge daily - pfft!

McRat
June 8th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I won't be getting a new phone (smart or dumb) unless its battery life is longer than my existing phone - a Sony Ericsson T39m bought in 2002 [sic]. Eight years later, I still managed a 2 hour call, and even that is after 3 days of not charging. The call ended before the battery did.

I hardly make calls that long, but a part of me wanted it to be longer just to test the phone's battery! I hope it can last me another 2 years to make it a decade...

All my iPhone using friends charge daily - pfft!

It really depends on your settings. My iPhone goes over 7 days static, over 5 days using it as a phone only.

Turn off location services.
Turn off 3G
Turn off WiFi
Turn off Email

Unless you need to run them. 3G is the worst offender.

Do that, and an iPhone will normally go longer between charges than a regular cellphone.

Frogs Hair
June 8th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I have a track phone for emergencies and a land line.

shazbut
June 8th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Wouldn't call my nokia 3120c a dumb phone, more of a feature phone even though it only runs the lowly series 40 OS. It has 3G (not hspda though) which is mostly why I bought it (my carrier isn't doing any more 2G coverage expansion, so 3G gives me a better signal most places). It has 2 cameras for video calls (which I notice is one of iphone4's "amazing new features").
It cost me AU$150 two years ago and I spend $50 per YEAR on a pre-paid plan. The first year I didn't even use all of the $50, so now I buy a 50MB data block per month for $5 of my credit. It's a bit of a rip off but I never use it all with only occaisonal use of opera mini, gmail, and google maps. I can even tether it with Ubuntu via bluetooth, however that 50MB would not last long doing that.
The only shortcoming is using T9 text to browse the web is somewhat painful.
Having said all that, I'm keeping an eye out for a decent android handset on a subsidised monthly plan, even though I may end up missing this old phone.

nubimax
June 8th, 2010, 01:34 AM
the last 15 years that I worked I was on call 24/7 had to have a phone with me at all times. Now I just have a land line and I have been known to turn it off for a week or two at a time.
Regards M.

Dr. C
June 8th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I currently have a dumbphone but am in the process of looking at getting a smartphone. provided it meets my specifications:

1) It must run a predominantly FLOSS operating system Maemo/Meego or Android
2) It must be provided with root access
3) It must be unlocked
4) It must be able to do wifi data tethering
5) It must be able to sync with GNU / Linux operating systems including Ubuntu and gNewSense as well as with Microsoft Windows XP and 7
6) It must have a screen resolution of at least 400 x 800
7) It must be a world phone Quad-band GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
8) It must operate 3G on the Telus/Bell network currently 850/1900 MHz

The n900 comes close for 1-7 but fails on 8 since it runs on 3G 900/1700/2100 MHz. All of the major providers and the new providers in Canada have purchased spectrum in the 1700/2100 MHz but nobody is offering service for 1700/2100 MHz Northern BC

Cathhsmom
June 8th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I do not have a smartphone due to the cost. I think it is awful that these cellular companies charge more to use texting when it uses less data to text than it does to use voice. Texting should be free. The cellular bills are high, especially if you are doing it for the whole family. These companies will charge as high as the demand will tolerate.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 8th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I don't use one right now. I think it all depends on what use you might have for it. But if situation demands it, I would.

matthew.ball
June 8th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Don't have a mobile phone here.

I have a land line which barely gets used (it came free with my Internet connection, which I do use, obviously).

It gets slightly difficult to organise things without a phone, but I manage. So many people have told me I should get a mobile though, but yeah, not really interested.

lisati
June 8th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Mrs Lisati's phone, which is somewhere in between a "dumb" phone that only does phone calls and a "smart" phone like iPhone, Blackberry etc, can run Java apps. We have one loaded on it for checking our bank.

I haven't bothered checking out all the bells and whistles on my phone yet, but have used it as a modem for hooking up to internet and have a couple of midi and mp3 files on it to use as ring tones. I also have a video clip of Mrs Lisati doing some Karaoke on it that I sometimes show off when I'm feeling proud of her.

mamamia88
June 8th, 2010, 03:48 AM
I don't have one and I don't know if I really want one. I don't feel the need to be connected 24/7. only reason I even have a cellphone is for emergency situations

Jesus_Valdez
June 8th, 2010, 03:56 AM
The wifi at the university blocks everything fun (including this forum) so I use my blackberry to do some web surfing from time to time.

I think I could live pretty well with a dumb phone, but the prices aren't that different and the plan includes a BB and unlimited data for like $40/month.

dearingj
June 8th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I use a dumbphone too. My reasons, in no particular order:
5) Too expensive to buy an unsubsidized smartphone, and subsidized ones require contracts
1) My music collection is almost entirely in the Ogg Vorbis and FLAC formats. If I got a smartphone that plays music, support for those formats would be a must.
3) It's not easy to install Free software on most smartphones
4) If it can be connected to a computer, it must be able to connect with a computer running some distro of Linux, preferably Ubuntu.
2) The phone should not be locked to a particular carrier. Where I live now, AT&T has a significantly stronger signal than other carriers, but that's not true everywhere.

WinterRain
June 8th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Too expensive and don't need it.

Unless you're a very busy businessperson, I don't really see any other reason for having one. Maybe just to show off, or addiction to technology.

Cheers:cool:

This.

jpaugh64
June 8th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I don't have as much as a dumb phone, or even a land-line, really; nor do I have any other permanent physical manifestation of telephony apparatus. I do have a Google Voice account (beta), which is nice, since I can add a temporary phone number for wherever I set up "base." I had a dumb phone for a while, but realised I that being contactable at every moment is undesirable.

aysiu
June 8th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I do not have a smartphone due to the cost. I think it is awful that these cellular companies charge more to use texting when it uses less data to text than it does to use voice. Texting should be free. If you have Google Voice, texting is free.

handy
June 8th, 2010, 05:46 AM
The only possible reason I can see at this stage, where I would want any kind of mobile phone would be if I had a health condition that could make it a valuable asset.

Apart from that I'm not interested.

I was given an O2 xda2 by a customer once, as he needed to upgrade. I gave it to my wife, who used it for sometime until she eventually bought an iPhone. the xda2 is now lost in my office somewhere with a very flat battery.

schtufbox
June 8th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I use an HTC vox, as it was cheap unlocked off ebay a few years ago, and it's ideal for use as an ebook reader as well as a phone, and with a 4gb sd card in, it doubles as a handy mp3 player...that's about all I use it for aside from calls of course!

Nixie Pixel
June 8th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I don't think I could survive without my Android phone..

Sam Fallow
June 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Dumbphone here too; Nokia 6310i. Reason; my FFRR has the car kit for this phone, linked into the computer for the car, so I can dial out and receive through the car. I'm on PAYG too. Also have the same car kit in my wifes car. That's as far as my phone technology goes. Make and receive phone calls, change ringtone to "telephone ringing", use alarm to wake me up in the morning (phone is so dumb I have to set it each night!)

Your still living in the dark ages!
Get a 6320i like mine. It lets you set the alarm for the whole week!

drumsticks
June 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
It really depends on your settings. My iPhone goes over 7 days static, over 5 days using it as a phone only.

Turn off 3G
Turn off WiFi
Turn off Email

Unless you need to run them. 3G is the worst offender.

Do that, and an iPhone will normally go longer between charges than a regular cellphone.

Fair enough. I don't know what settings they have it on, I'm only going by what they tell me when I asked. In any case, my 8 year old phone still works with a few days between charges, so I'll keep it for now :)

Johnsie
June 8th, 2010, 11:41 AM
http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/689/934689_091130223517_nokia-e63-full-black.jpg

Most touch screen mobiles have a dreadful battery life. I have a cheapish Nokia e63 phone with a hardware qwerty keyboard and can get three or 4 days on a single charge compared to the 8 or less hours I would get on a touch screen phone. Having to charge my phone up every few hours is not practical for me.

The E63 does what i need to do. It has Exchange support so I can sync with work, a good Spotify app so I can listen to music through my normal headphones and shazam so I can look up songs. It also has wi-fi and bluetooth.

I maintain servers, so I need to have a mobile 24 hours a day. Using a touch screen phone simply wouln't work because I cannot always get to a power source.

I'm on a 30 day contract that I can cancel out of at any time and am only paying £15 a month with a decent amount of call time and 'unlimited' internet. If I got a decent touch screen phone I would probably need to be shelling out £35 a month or spend alot more money buying the phone.

Turn off 3G
Turn off WiFi
Turn off Email

The reason I got my phone is so I could use those services. I shouldn't have to turn them off just to get a decent amount of use time. I had a touch screen phone before and I did like it, but I felt like it was a constant battle trying to save the batteries or find a power source. I would like to go back to touch screen eventually but I'm waiting for a decent battery that will last longer than my E63

kleskjr
June 8th, 2010, 11:47 AM
My phone is pretty smart. it is always with me when I need to open a beer. The next phone I am going to buy will definitely have a metal panel :popcorn:

Dixon Bainbridge
June 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM
My ideal phone would have these abilities:

To make phone calls
To send and recieve text messages
A mirror so I can check my hair
A small knife
A bottle opener
A small crosshead electronics size screwdriver
A tissue dispenser
Salt and pepper dispenser
A fold out fork

That would be a smart phone.

gemmakaru
June 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I use a dumb phone as smartphones.

are too big,
too fragile,
too heavey,
if you use any of the features the battery goes flat when you need to make a call.
They crash.
they take ages to start up after they have crashed.
they have features which I never use.

I kinda wish they would make a dumb phone which is really really tiny. I am sure it would be possible now. I can't find any phones smaller than the one I had many years ago with a mono screen. Loved that phone but it died.

duanedesign
June 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I shamefully got an iphone recently. I wanted an Android phone. AT&T however has decided to lock their Androids phones so you cant install 3rd party apps, just like an iphone. Don't they know that is one of the major attractions of an Android phone. At least to tech minded people like me. It is discouraging to talk to so many people who like the walled garden. Apple has done a good job marketing the closed environment as safer.

Breambutt
June 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I don't even know what a smartphone is and don't really even care.

My phone doesn't even have a camera and I went through a lot of trouble to get one just like it. Too bad their phone department closed down, now I'm without firmware updates. ;(

MCVenom
June 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I use a dumbphone too. My reasons, in no particular order:
1) My music collection is almost entirely in the Ogg Vorbis and FLAC formats. If I got a smartphone that plays music, support for those formats would be a must.

Android support those formats :)

3) It's not easy to install Free software on most smartphones

Android lets you install any app you want (except on AT&T). You can also get root access and potentially run Ubuntu or Debian on it (and have access to those apps), like I do ;)

4) If it can be connected to a computer, it must be able to connect with a computer running some distro of Linux, preferably Ubuntu.

Android phones have no problems with Linux computers; the Android SDK is even available for Linux.

2) The phone should not be locked to a particular carrier. Where I live now, AT&T has a significantly stronger signal than other carriers, but that's not true everywhere.

You lost me; its hard to find a truly unlocked phone per se nowadays; The only recommendation I have here is a Blackberry, or a Nexus One; the T-Mobile version can get on AT&T, but you'll only get 2G speeds.

betrunkenaffe
June 8th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I put down dumb phone but not sure if that actually applies.

Just picked up 2 LG Keybo 2 for wife and myself like a week ago.

First cell phone for either.

Ozor Mox
June 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I have an HTC Desire. Great phone, does everything I want and I get a lot of use out of it. I wouldn't feel lost without it though, I'm pretty sure I could survive without a phone, life would just be more difficult that's all :)

samalex
June 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM

I'm with ya too. I had a Moto Q a few years ago, but once the novelty wore off (after a few months) I found myself stuck with an expensive plan and phone I didn't need. When my contract expired i went back to a regular phone (and a sub-$100 phone bill) and was MUCH happier. I can still do text messaging, and send photos and video which is all I need.

Honestly I look at the whole Smartphone gig as a marketing scheme because if they would just offer a USB-based device to connect to the G3/G4 networks that works with any phone, and let you choose the device you want without having it tied to a carrier, it would make more since. Get a cheap cellphone plan then invest in a MiFi with a tablet computer, iPod Touch, or something that doesn't need to go over the network. Everyone wants tethering, but I think it needs to go the other way around...

Sam

PhilGil
June 8th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Get a cheap cellphone plan then invest in a MiFi with a tablet computer, iPod Touch, or something that doesn't need to go over the network. Everyone wants tethering, but I think it needs to go the other way around...

Sam
A few months ago I spent some time looking for a way to "backwards-tether" my Blackberry. As most of the syncing solutions that did not involve MS Outlook were over-the-air, I hoped to find a way to get my Blackberry online without paying for a data plan. Unsurprisingly, I was not successful.

dE_logics
June 8th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I dont need a smartphone! I'm not a social freak so as to hook on to my space, facebook etc.. all the time.

No need for frequent email viewing.

All I need is a cellphone which plays quality OGG songs and should be a bit sturdy since I take it to the gym.

lootic
June 8th, 2010, 07:41 PM
My reason is quite simple, I wont pay that kind of money for something which only actual useful feature is touchscreen. I can listen to music, take photos and call people with a "dumb" phone. When I want to be productive I need to be able to multitask, a lot (which the CPU or RAM probs would dislike :p).

So naaah, smartphones arent productive enough for me yet.

e24ohm
June 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM
http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/689/934689_091130223517_nokia-e63-full-black.jpg

Most touch screen mobiles have a dreadful battery life. I have a cheapish Nokia e63 phone with a hardware qwerty keyboard and can get three or 4 days on a single charge compared to the 8 or less hours I would get on a touch screen phone. Having to charge my phone up every few hours is not practical for me.

The E63 does what i need to do. It has Exchange support so I can sync with work, a good Spotify app so I can listen to music through my normal headphones and shazam so I can look up songs. It also has wi-fi and bluetooth.

I maintain servers, so I need to have a mobile 24 hours a day. Using a touch screen phone simply wouln't work because I cannot always get to a power source.

I'm on a 30 day contract that I can cancel out of at any time and am only paying £15 a month with a decent amount of call time and 'unlimited' internet. If I got a decent touch screen phone I would probably need to be shelling out £35 a month or spend alot more money buying the phone.

The reason I got my phone is so I could use those services. I shouldn't have to turn them off just to get a decent amount of use time. I had a touch screen phone before and I did like it, but I felt like it was a constant battle trying to save the batteries or find a power source. I would like to go back to touch screen eventually but I'm waiting for a decent battery that will last longer than my E63
I am sporting an E71 - this is not my personal phone, since I do not have a personal need for a smartphone. My company provides me the phone, and like you need to have connectivity with emails, and alerts for routers/switches and servers.

I am a big fan of the E71 because of the hardware keyboard.

lightningfox
June 8th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I don't have a smartphone, but I plan on buying an Android based smartphone (probably HTC hero).

AllRadioisDead
June 9th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I have an HTC Desire. Great phone, does everything I want and I get a lot of use out of it. I wouldn't feel lost without it though, I'm pretty sure I could survive without a phone, life would just be more difficult that's all :)
If you feel like that, you're not using it right. ;)
I love my hero.

C.S.Cameron
June 9th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I have a cell phone, I leave it in Sri Lanka for my care taker to use when I am out of the country.
I only used it once, to call my wife when we went shopping and I got lost in a department store in Galle.
I don't need one any longer, she now refuses to take me shopping.

emarkay
June 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
My mobile is pay-per-use and has no camera.
I have a prosumer digicam for my images, a FLAC player for my music, and a PC or three for all my "smart" needs.
IMHO, if you need a smart phone you aren't very.

MCVenom
June 9th, 2010, 12:29 AM
IMHO, if you need a smart phone you aren't very.

Perhaps we have different needs than you, there's no need to be rude :P

Cam42
June 9th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I didn't have a smartphone until I got my Palm Pre Plus a month ago.

LOVE it.

emarkay
June 11th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Perhaps we have different needs than you, there's no need to be rude :P

Wasn't intended to be rude, just oxymoronic on the redundant devices that many carry.

OK, taken and filed.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I have no need for a smartphone. I don't use my phone for anything except calling people, or vice versa, and even that use is extremely limited.

coolbrook
June 11th, 2010, 02:00 AM
The co-workers used to look at me funny when I got the Kyocera 7135 when it came out a few years back. I loved the thing, but I have no use for one now. I'm happy with a phone being a phone.

Tamalin
June 11th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Don't start using a blackberry. I have seen some poor people fall into it's evil yet addicting clutches, the symptoms are easy to recognize:

1) You feel an overwhelming desire to check your emails every 35 seconds.

2) You really want to do something else, but you just can't bear to put it down.

3) Every time you enter another room, the first thought that goes through your head is "Where's the wall outlet, I need to check my emails, but my battery's dead."

4) Your hand sweats profusely at the thought of it's warmth in your hand.

ratcheer
June 11th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I replied, "I use a dumb phone", but I'm not really sure. I certainly use it as a dumb phone. It is a Samsung A-717, almost 3 years old. I used to use it for web browsing and text messages, but I no longer do. Just phone calls, now. I got tired of paying $20 / month for my data plan that I really used very little.

I have no desire to upgrade, either. Mainly the same reason - monthly bills.

Tim

witeshark17
June 11th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I like a regular phone also. I really only use the phone part of it and I far prefer the compact flip phone that fits in my pocket. My laptop in Wifi does my mobile internet with a nice big display. :popcorn: