PDA

View Full Version : ctags or similar for FORTRAN and C++ - emacs or jedit

Zorgoth
June 7th, 2010, 05:14 PM
How would I get tags for Fortran or C++ on either or both of emacs and jedit? (I have a bunch of Fortran code to read and possibly C++ code to write)

gmargo
June 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
The ctags(1) command from the exuberant-ctags package will do the job.

Zorgoth
June 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I have ctags and exuberant ctags installed (on Fedora, I am using the Ubuntu forums because they usually work better for programming in my experience), but don't really understand how to use the commands. My situation is that I have a load of source files in a folder with a couple folders of source files inside that one and I am trying to read them, which is annoying since I don't know where the subroutines are declared. So how do I use ctags to actually be able to find the declaration of a function efficiently? (I have never used anything like this before, it is something I heard about from a friend)

gmargo
June 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
You use ctags to generate a tags file. The editor is responsible for accessing and interpreting the generated 'tags' file.

As I don't know emacs or jedit, I can give only you a vim example:

To generate the tags for a whole project and then start at the main() routine:

ctags -R .
vim -t main
Then inside vim place the cursor on a name and use ^] to follow the tag, and ^T to pop up the stack. For emacs usage you probably want "etags -R ." or "ctags -e -R .".

Zorgoth
June 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Thank you I got it working with emacs (but not jedit, it gives errors - but emacs is pretty cool)