PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Installing MFC-240c drivers...won´t run

Dishuman
June 7th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I run a Lenovo Ideapad Y530 with Ubuntu 10.04. I love this OS so far, but because my knowledge in coding is limited there are times when my patience runs thin and I fall into deep despair and frustration.

My dilemma right now circles around the fact that I cannot print via my Brother MFC-240c printer. The friend who installed Ubuntu for me is away in New York and cant explain on the phone. He says the driver should come up automatically but this does not happen for the MFC-240c.

I downloaded the drivers from the brother website. They were .deb files so I opened them up using the GDebi Package installer. First the LPR then the CUPS. The printer is visible in the system but it just doesnt print and freezes when ¨Receiving Data¨.

I tried installing through the terminal and I kept getting errors of directories and files that weren´t found. Should I extract the package even when its on a .deb? I would think this true, but *shrugs* I am not sure.

Please, I am in desperate need of help.

PS: I am 90% sure I run 64bits.

dino99
June 7th, 2010, 05:11 PM
with ubuntu, the packages are already compiled and ready to install:

open synaptic (system admin synaptic) and install: brother-lp-drivers-bh7

this package deal with your printer (search: "mfc" into synaptic)

timfinley
July 4th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the fix dino!!! same problem same printer. now to get the scanner key working....