PDA

View Full Version : Kokatoos eating internet connection

Mariane
June 7th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I don't have much choice concerning where to put the wifi router because the wire between it and the plug in the wall is not very long.

My kokatoos are attracted by this wire, and no matter how I try to hide it they always end up finding it. And when they find it they nibble it. They have already interrupted my internet connection once.

Any ideas? :-\"

Mariane

mbzn
June 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Try here
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=9935_13769

philinux
June 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I don't have much choice concerning where to put the wifi router because the wire between it and the plug in the wall is not very long.

My kokatoos are attracted by this wire, and no matter how I try to hide it they always end up finding it. And when they find it they nibble it. They have already interrupted my internet connection once.

Any ideas? :-\"

Mariane

It's cockatoos.
Get a piece of garden hose the same length and put the ethernet cable inside it. Take em a while to nibble thought that.
Moved to Cafe.

handy
June 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Is there something that repels them?

If it were a dog, you could spray citronella oil in the area & they would stay right away from it.

Phrea
June 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM
http://www.easybizchina.com/picture/product/newpic/delikon_9E8E4D93CA3CDD01.gif

kaldor
June 7th, 2010, 04:24 PM
My bird is like that too; hence it's a good idea not to let her around computers!

I made something called a "bird box" for whenever she wants to tear stuff up. It's a little plastic bin with lots of paper, pens, etc for her to chew up. She loves it and doesn't bother flying after cords anymore. Maybe that'll work ;)

anewguy
June 7th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I've got to tell you that's funny - but I understand not to you. Might I suggest rubbing the cable with a hot pepper powder - it works great for keeping dogs, etc., away but I've never tried it on a cable or with a bird - you may want to make sure it won't hurt the bird first (or find out the bird LIKES hot stuff!).

Dave ;)

luceerose
June 7th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I like Phrea's suggestion. The galvanized pipe.
Funny stuff.

whiskeylover
June 7th, 2010, 05:09 PM
This (http://members.ozemail.com.au/%7Ebcoster/cockatoo_stew_a_recipe.htm) may work.

betrunkenaffe
June 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Also aquarium plastic tubing works rather well, is inexpensive and less obvious.

I think you should make it a shredding box as suggested as well.

Mariane
June 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Thank you all. I liked the stew recipe, lol.

Seriously, I'll try the hoose solution, I think that should keep them away from it. In particular if it's a very smooth hoose, and maybe rubbed with soap so they cannot grip it and perch on it.

Mariane

Sporkman
June 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
PVC pipe would be cheap & effective.

Tristam Green
June 7th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I wonder if they're getting maximum throughput.

CharlesA
June 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
PVC pipe would be cheap & effective.

+1 to PVC, even if it is a bit unsightly. Plastic hose would work as well.

Plumtreed
June 7th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Are these your birds, in the house, crapping on everything, flying about inside???

If so, they could be put in a cage:(

Mariane
June 8th, 2010, 12:15 AM
They don't usually have to be put back into their cage, they go back there by themselves when the sun sets. I just have to close the door and pull the blanket down over the cage.

But in the morning, if I don't open the cage they start calling me. Ever heard a kokatoo calling? "Loud" doesn't begin to describe it, lol.

Mariane

Sporkman
June 8th, 2010, 01:45 AM
They don't usually have to be put back into their cage, they go back there by themselves when the sun sets. I just have to close the door and pull the blanket down over the cage.

But in the morning, if I don't open the cage they start calling me. Ever heard a kokatoo calling? "Loud" doesn't begin to describe it, lol.

Mariane

Birds are tough.

We owned an African Grey for several years, until we had to give him up when our first child arrived. He would get very upset when my wife would carry the just-fallen-asleep baby into her room, and would raise a ruckus, which subsequently woke the baby up. Those kinds of difficulties, plus the considerable amount of work cleaning the bird's area, cage, and dishes, plus the significant expense of vet bills & pet-sitting, finally made keeping him impractical for us unfortunately.

We ended up giving him to a nice semi-retired couple who had several Macaws of their own, plus served as bird foster parents for abused/neglected birds. They had a nice place all set up for birdkeeping, and were home all day to care for them. It was sad for us to let him go, but it was for the best.

Plumtreed
June 8th, 2010, 03:17 AM
We hear Cockatoos, usually first thing in the morning, when the Magpies start chasing them. I don't know who makes the most noise!

Sad to think of a Cockie not being free:confused:

anewguy
June 8th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I have to tell you a funny story regarding a cockatoo and an african gray parrot. In the 1980's I lived in a very small apartment building (I think there were 12 apartments total in the building. I lived on the 1st floor of apartments in a nice large 2 bedroom. There were 2 guys living upstairs from me that had a cockatoo and an african grey. Every time they left their apartment, I would hear this god-awful "Barbara!" over and over and over, and then eventually it would sound like a baby crying real loud. The managers lived in the apartment in front of mine across a courtyard, and one day the lady was out and I was talking with her and asked her if there was anything that could be done with the birds. She then said (like Sienfeld said "not that there's anything wrong with that!") that the guys upstairs were gay, and then asked if I had any guesses as to which one was "Barbara!". I laughed my butt off. Didn't stop the birds, though.

Dave ;)

Sporkman
June 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I have to tell you a funny story regarding a cockatoo and an african gray parrot. In the 1980's I lived in a very small apartment building (I think there were 12 apartments total in the building. I lived on the 1st floor of apartments in a nice large 2 bedroom. There were 2 guys living upstairs from me that had a cockatoo and an african grey. Every time they left their apartment, I would hear this god-awful "Barbara!" over and over and over, and then eventually it would sound like a baby crying real loud. The managers lived in the apartment in front of mine across a courtyard, and one day the lady was out and I was talking with her and asked her if there was anything that could be done with the birds. She then said (like Sienfeld said "not that there's anything wrong with that!") that the guys upstairs were gay, and then asked if I had any guesses as to which one was "Barbara!". I laughed my butt off. Didn't stop the birds, though.

Dave ;)

:lol: Nice story.

Our African Grey had adopted my voice quite well, and had fooled people on more than one occasion. :)

Mariane
May 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM
My african grey imitated my voice to perfection. Once I was travelling in a train, with a blanket over the cage, and he said "hello sweety" to a total stranger. I had to uncover the cage to convince that man that I was not the person who had said this to him.

And for those of you who are old enough to remember the noise needle printers made - eeeeeeeeeeeeee chuck chuck chuck chuck chuck - a blackbird living near where I was had learned to imitate this. Neighbours started asking me not to use my printer at 3 o'clock at night.

Another neighbour, with whom I shared a common balcony, suspected me of stealing the small pots of yogurt she kept on that balcony when her fridge was full. Until one day she saw a large crow flying away with one in his beak. After that she came to apologize to me for her suspicion - it was the first I heard about it. She had spoken to no-one else so no harm was done and we both had a good laugh.

Mariane