PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to set my netbook as a hardware firewall?

w4r3zh4ckô
June 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Okay so i got Ubuntu 10.4 and a little HP Mini 110. Now i got a wifi card and one ethernet card. I want the wifi to be connected with the modem in order to get packets from and the ethernet to be connected with my PC. How do i do this ? Can anyone post a link to something ? I searched and really didn't find anything that suits my need.

FemmeFatale
June 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Honestly, you are not going to find anything that "suits your needs". If you insist on setting up your personal hardware firewall based on Ubuntu, I would recommend you to get an old computer, 2 eth cards and build your own firewall rules based on the iptables software package. It's flexible enough.

There are other easily configurable firewall packages based on open source as well.

iponeverything
June 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Okay so i got Ubuntu 10.4 and a little HP Mini 110. Now i got a wifi card and one ethernet card. I want the wifi to be connected with the modem in order to get packets from and the ethernet to be connected with my PC. How do i do this ? Can anyone post a link to something ? I searched and really didn't find anything that suits my need.

If you have a supported wireless card, look at dd-wrt x86.

an0dos
June 7th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Ah, the things we go through to use our neighbor's open wifi. :)

john_spiral
June 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
why not use an distro tailored to the job:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Firewall