PDA

View Full Version : Windows vs Microsoft Windows™

DoubleClicker
June 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Before there was a product know as Microsoft Windows™, there was a Word Proccessor called "Windows Write" which ran on macintosh computers. And though they don't come to mind at the moment, I knew of several other "Windows" products that predated MS Windows. There are also several other Windows systems, such as X/Windows, which have as much legitimate claim to the word windows as the Microsoft OS.

I let's not concede ownership of the word windows to Microsoft. When we refer to "windows", we should be talking about the rectangular regions, that appear on our monitors, (or the the glass pained openings that let light into our homes). When referring to the Microsoft OS, I suggest we call it MS Windows, distinguishing it from the more generic GUI object.

I know a lot of you will compare this to the Linux vs GNU/Linux debate, but practically speaking, the word Linux (as well as the Linux Kernel), doesn't have any other usage, outside the context of the GNU/Linux.

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Cool story, bro.

murderslastcrow
June 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I think they should just give it a new name with the next release. Just stop calling it Windows, name it something new and charming that embodies the spirit of modern technology. Even if the OS is exactly the same, that's sure to attract tons of attention XD. Like, say, Midori? :O

madnessjack
June 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Windows Write was a product for the Macintosh by... Microsoft :P

DoubleClicker
June 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Windows Write was a product for the Macintosh by... Microsoft :P

No, you are confusing it with Microsoft Write™. Windows Write was released by a small software company form Israel.

Dayofswords
June 7th, 2010, 11:31 AM
No, you are confusing it with Microsoft Write™. Windows Write was released by a small software company form Israel.
Microsoft Write for Macintosh
In October 1987 Microsoft released Microsoft Write for Macintosh. Write was a version of Microsoft Word with limited featured that Microsoft hoped would replace aging MacWrite in the Macintosh word processor market. Write was priced at $175, compared to Word's $395 and MacWrite's $125 pricetags. Write is best described as Word locked in "Short Menus" mode, and as such it used the same file format so that users could exchange files with absolutely no conversion necessary.[4] Write didn't sell well and was discontinued before the System 7 era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Write

so your right, but this is no big deal, a judge had already said that they canown the word "windows' as they even used it and other to discribe square boxs for applcations, this was all when they sued Lindows

call it what you wish, we shall call it as we wish, so as the other guy said

Cool story, bro.

derekeverett
June 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I always just prefer to say the release name, Xp, Vista, Win7 and so on....

I can't see them changing the Windows name. It's too much of a household word now. To a lot of people "Windows" and "Computer" are one and the same.

Dayofswords
June 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM
. To a lot of people "Windows" and "Computer" are one and the same.
i wish this wasnt true.. but it is

DoubleClicker
June 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM
i wish this wasnt true.. but it is

Education is a good thing.

an0dos
June 7th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I always just prefer to say the release name, Xp, Vista, Win7 and so on....

I can't see them changing the Windows name. It's too much of a household word now. To a lot of people "Windows" and "Computer" are one and the same.

And to a lot of people computer case = hard drive.

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Windows is fine. They'd be stupid to change it now.

dragos240
June 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM
And to a lot of people computer case = hard drive.

"Alright students, plug the USB device into the back of the hard drive."

That happened to me.

Dr. C
June 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM
The Windows trademark has been on shaky ground in the US but not in Europe. The most recent legal battle was with Lindows/Linspire about 6-8 years ago. Lindows changed its name to Linspire but Microsoft paid Linspire off in a settlement. Microsoft at the time was winning in Europe and loosing in the US. Here is an article from that time. http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3311641/Windows-Generic-or-Trademark.htm

Frogs Hair
June 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM
There is a software site called " Windows 7 Software " with a disclaimer in the fine print stating that it is not affiliated with MS.

The site contains links to 3rd party software approved for use in Windows 7 and was created about the time W7 was relesed , so it must come up in a lot of searches.