PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] best pc configuration for ubuntu

arsh.rahman
June 7th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hi guys,
I want to know what is the best pc configuration which can run ubuntu?. I want to know the pc brand name, model and everything for my project. I would be glad if anyone help me as soon as possible. Thank You.

gwaar
June 7th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'm sorry to say, but I don't think you're going to find one solution to this problem; much of it depends on what you want to do, how much you want to spend, etc. If you give some of those details I think you'll be pointed in the right direction, but there will still be quite a few choices. Generally though, anything that would be called a good computer running windows or any other OS will be good running linux - I can't think of anything architecture-wise which helps linux out - in fact linux can do multi-core architecture and large amounts of ram better than some OSes. Though mind you, that's not an endorsement.

Give a bit more information and these forums will go crazy telling you the options.

arsh.rahman
June 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for your advice. I will give some more information. Actually my question is as follows:
Assume that your School wants to buy 1,000 PCs for all your School labs. These PCs must be able to run Linux OS. Although your School has a fixed and limited budget, but your School is willing to pay “good-value for money”. Recommend a PC configuration (brand, hardware specifications and costs) for your School to consider so that Linux OS could be installed and execute well for the benefit of the students, and explain why you chose that PC configuration and which Linux Distribution.
I am looking forward for a good answer to my question as soon as possible. Thank You.

cascade9
June 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Pretty hard question to answer, as different countries have different prices, avaible models etc.

The main issue with new computers and and new linux distros is wireless. The Intel i3/i5/i7 models can have issues with older linux distros, but the current AMD stuff (and the older Intel Core2Duos) should be fine. Well, unless you want to use a linux distro that is way out of support.

arsh.rahman
June 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for your advice. This question is not specified to a particular country. All they ask is the computer brand name and its configuration which supports linux os. I searched in the internet but i couldnot find the correct answer. since i am new to linux I have no clue about this question. So i am looking forward for a good answer to this question. please send the answer what you know