PDA

View Full Version : Advice for begginer

PAkid
June 7th, 2010, 08:27 AM
This is something that probably gets asked a lot, but there never seems to be a good answer that helps me. What is a programming language that is right for me? I have some experience with a few languages. VB.net, C++, and Java. I'm decent in VB, but in C++ not so good. I just plain despise Java, it seems like so much is unnecessary. I like the way that VB works, and I have only used C++ in an I/O terminal format. I still hate Java. So much for so little it seems. The biggest thing is that I'm trying out ubuntu right now. What code will give the ability to develop and use on most or all common O/S, have good widespread use, and a good consistent demand programs and programmers using this language for years to come. I'm willing to learn anything that will be worth my time. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. Except Java.

KdotJ
June 7th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Most people are going to suggest python. It is a great simple typed scripting language that you can use for anything. Check out some online tutorials and examples to see how it looks etc.

simeon87
June 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Java!! :) Well, ok.. you don't have to if you don't want to but it's not that bad.. it's quite verbose but many languages have been inspired by the way Java does things.

Python is indeed a good choice. C is also a good choice. For web programming, you could look into PHP.

Basically, the choice of the language depends on the project.. the focus should be on learning how to program; if you know that, you're done because languages can be learned. The languages that future programmers will work with don't exist today.

KdotJ
June 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Java!! :)

+1 for java lol

nvteighen
June 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM
If you want cross-platform compatibility, Python is a really good candidate. The issue is that you don't provide any reason why you just hate Java, which is the other great possibility.

Of course, it depends on the project. Java has better deployment tools than Python, but Python has a dynamic environment, which allows to do some stuff very easily... also, there's no static typing, which simplifies interfaces and polymorphism, at the cost of not having compiler-enforcement for types.

What you can't use is C or C++... Those languages require native compiling, therefore, different executables for different platforms... and even different libraries...

DanielWaterworth
June 7th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I started out with c/c++ from an early age. I wouldn't recommend it although you do gain a rich knowledge of how computers work. Python is the undisputed king of readability and ease of learning. Mostly, it depends on what you want to do and whether you'll be working in a team.

edit: whatever you do, don't even think about starting on php unless you'd like to be scarred for life

vamega
June 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Vala is a good choice.
Since GTK is supported on most platforms you'll be able to deploy GTK applications on all those platforms. It isn't so useful if you're interested in using the native libraries of those platforms.

Other than that Python is great for its portability, and C++ is just something you should pick up.

Vamega