PDA

View Full Version : How Fast If your Ubuntu

Jakiejake
June 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM
How Fast does Ubuntu boot for you?
With auto login in 10.04 I get around 22 Seconds!

seanelly
June 7th, 2010, 08:14 AM
How are we timing here? Takes my laptop ~22s to do it's Toshiba thing, then another ~22s for the desktop to appear, and probably another 20s or so for the wireless to connect, which is when I consider the laptop to be up and running. This is Xubuntu.

Jakiejake
June 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM
How are we timing here? Takes my laptop ~22s to do it's Toshiba thing, then another ~22s for the desktop to appear, and probably another 20s or so for the wireless to connect, which is when I consider the laptop to be up and running. This is Xubuntu.

We are timing from the HDD boot
So only when the OS loads
If you have to select an OS start timing after you select Ubuntu

seanelly
June 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM

So about the same then. :)

toupeiro
June 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM
What is this infatuation with booting fast?? It seems like the nerds version of the Hemi v/s the cobra. Which can do the 1/4 mile the fastest? Except, not nearly as cool or entertaining.

Hey I got one, how fast can you render a 3d model with over 120GB of data? How about benchmarking computers after they've booted, you know, when you really intend to use them for something?

just a thought.

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2010, 08:33 AM
30 seconds on average to the login screen and then 10 - 15 seconds for everything to load up. It used to be faster, but I think I have too much stuff installed. Disabling Gwibber at starup shaved a few seconds off.

Jakiejake
June 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM
What is this infatuation with booting fast?? It seems like the nerds version of the Hemi v/s the cobra. Which can do the 1/4 mile the fastest? Except, not nearly as cool or entertaining.

Hey I got one, how fast can you render a 3d model with over 120GB of data? How about benchmarking computers after they've booted, you know, when you really intend to use them for something?

just a thought.

Just Interesting

smellyman
June 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
27 seconds...haven't checked in a while

toupeiro
June 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Just Interesting

fair enough. 14 seconds from button to background. 5 seconds from GRUB to background.

Core i7 w/ SSD

Drenriza
June 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM
My laptop with an 5400 rpm HDD boots with lightning speeds :p

will time it at next reboot and time it.

seanelly
June 7th, 2010, 08:47 AM
fair enough. 14 seconds from button to background. 5 seconds from GRUB to background.

Core i7 w/ SSD

Sounds too fast. You should slow it down so as to not seem like it's something you care about. :P I lug my laptop around a lot at university and have to turn it on and off a fair bit and I find a slow boot to be painful. I also do a lot of iterative mathematics, data analysis, and .PDFing, which is why I also care about maximising my 2gigs of RAM. Both of these reasons are why I ditched Vista, which, surprisingly enough, ran almost perfect for me for 2 years.

toupeiro
June 7th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Sounds too fast. You should slow it down so as to not seem like it's something you care about. :P I lug my laptop around a lot at university and have to turn it on and off a fair bit and I find a slow boot to be painful. I also do a lot of iterative mathematics, data analysis, and .PDFing, which is why I also care about maximising my 2gigs of RAM. Both of these reasons are why I ditched Vista, which, surprisingly enough, ran almost perfect for me for 2 years.

I don't care. :P I use all 4 (8 hyperthreaded) cores after its booted. I didn't build this system to boot, I built it to do everything else I want it to once its booted. That just happens to be how fast it boots.

You should see what it can do with a properly written for/do loop and 70 gigs of data to sync.

murderslastcrow
June 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
From GRUB to desktop, it took about 8 seconds this morning. Got an eMachines desktop, whose model I could care less, but it's pretty beefy, and I use 64-bit.

I was pretty surprised. I do use preload, however.

del_diablo
June 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Archlinux: 10 seconds from GRUB to desktop.

Dualcore AMD laptop CPU
RAM: 4 gigs
7200 rpm laptop disk

DoubleClicker
June 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM

in VMware fusion I get a boot time of 7 seconds. However it takes over 30 seconds to get past the VMware "BIOS" screen first .

karthick87
June 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
20 seconds :)

ukripper
June 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
If Lubuntu is counted in:
On AMD Athlon 1.3ghz single core, 726 RAM SDRAM, 7200 RPM IDE 200GB drive, nearly 12 years old JETWAY motherboard. It takes under 16 secs to login screen from powering up. Thereafter to desktop panel loading and to become ready to use, it takes only under 5 secs.

YuiDaoren
June 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM
~22 seconds from power-on to login screen.

Ubuntu 10.04
Phenom II x4 955 (3.2Ghz)
4GB
7200rpm 640Mb SATA2 HDD

philinux
June 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM
14.66 seconds from grub to usable desktop.

Jakiejake
August 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
I have found that strangely laptops are faster than desktops!
Any thoughts?

Oxwivi
August 23rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
Just around 40 s, using a not-so-new 10 GB HDD with 1 GB RAM. My original 80 GB went haywire so I'm making do with this one.

Paul820
August 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
Mine takes 45 seconds, :(

TNT1
August 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Dunno... I never start my laptop from scratch... I suspend when I close the lid, been like that for ages... No, wait, I updated and got a new kernel a couple of days ago, didn't time the restart though...

Wont actually shut down till update manager tells me to again....

cra1g321
August 23rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
22 seconds here from grub to full desktop (conky & awn loaded too), seems to be the same for most ppl

wkhasintha
August 23rd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Kernel 2.6.35 takes longer than previous kernels. :( around 25-30 seconds.

Frogs Hair
August 23rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
About 23 seconds , Ubuntu 10.04 and W7 have almost almost identical boot times despite the size difference. :confused:

TNT1
August 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
About 23 seconds , Ubuntu 10.04 and W7 have almost almost identical boot times despite the size difference. :confused:

Well... Maybe that proves a point...

How about we start measuring shutdown times instead?

renkinjutsu
August 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM

just a thought.

What if you need to turn on your computer to look up a recipe while the stove is still burning (And that you CAN do that because your operating system boots in 10 seconds!)

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Never timed it, I reboot into Ubuntu every morning, turn on the radio, look at my cell phone, look up and my desktop is loaded. I don't reckon it could be more than a minute /shrug, never really thought or worried about it. Fast enough I guess. Same when I boot into XP or Seven to do a little gaming, just loads up nice and quick.

At work I deal with xp computers that pxe boot and have next to no ram, poor cooling, and java heavy apps. fastest I've ever gotten up and running has been 10 minutes and thats if the computer is already booted lol. Now this is not a "windows" problem, its a poor IT management problem, but I'm not in the IT department, I'm payed by the hour whether the computer works smoothly or not, so pft, I don't care, just saying that I don't notice "boot" speeds unless it is absurdly slow.

Oxwivi
August 23rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Both needs to deploy a fully fledged operating system, maybe that be the reason. But my W7 boot time took more than 1 m, with Ubuntu 10.04/10.04.1 veing around 40 s. Inever dual-booted.

Frogs Hair
August 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Both needs to deploy a fully fledged operating system, maybe that be the reason. But my W7 boot time took more than 1 m, with Ubuntu 10.04/10.04.1 veing around 40 s. Inever dual-booted.

I have the Asus Express gate installed which sets the bios to quick boot meaning it bypasses the bios messages . This may explain why they are the same , it may be that Asus software is controlling boot time and not the individual operating systems.