PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Powerbook G4/500 Low Sound and no battery meter

Semperfive
June 7th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I just updated to Ubuntu 10.04 on my Powerbook G4 (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/stats/powerbook_g4_500.html).

I have fixed the wifi issue that some people have been having but now I have some other things I need help with.

When playing videos I have very low volume when turned up all the way.

There is no battery meter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm still new to this.

sha.goyjo
June 7th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I just updated to Ubuntu 10.04 on my Powerbook G4 (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/stats/powerbook_g4_500.html).

I have fixed the wifi issue that some people have been having but now I have some other things I need help with.

When playing videos I have very low volume when turned up all the way.

There is no battery meter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm still new to this.

For a battery meter an easy fix is gpmudmon. It's a gnome panel applet that provides excellent battery support for the earlier pmu models.

As for the sound, do a search for snd-hda-intel on the forums and you should find what you need. It's likely a problem which can be solved by editing alsa-base.conf

Semperfive
June 7th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I tried gpmudmon, it looked like it was installing. There was a key symbol in the upper right and then it went away. I tried restarting, but no luck. Any ideas?

linuxopjemac
June 7th, 2010, 07:39 AM
If you are in Gnome, it should work out of the box. The only thing you are missing is the pmu_battery module.

sudo modprobe pmu_battery

I would add it to the modules at startup, so you have the battery status all the time.

sha.goyjo
June 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
what linuxopjemac says is correct. To add the module just add the name to the bottom of the /etc/modules file, the name being pmu_battery.

Semperfive
June 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks you guys! That worked :)

Still trying to figure out the sound thing.

Also, my CD drive is present, but I can't access it. If I boot up with a CD in the drive it shows up on the desk top and I can access it. It's a weird issue isn't it?

Semperfive
June 8th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I tried alsamixer, the pc speaker was turned all the way down. Easy fix!