PDA

View Full Version : Pride 2010

slooksterpsv
June 7th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Ok I'm expecting flaming here, but yeah.

So today I went to Pride and it was amazing; not sure how many GBLT persons are on the forums, and I know this topic is sensetive to some, but still.

Anyone go to Pride or that? Anyone do anything interesting for it? For those who are still lost I'm referring to Gay Pride.

The one here in Utah had the DC Cowboys, Sandra.... oh I can't remember her name, but she was awesome. It was a fantastic experience, so many companies that support the GBLT Community, especially technology companies like Comcast and XMission, it's amazing. Something you don't consider, at least I didn't, but I'm more proud to be myself for it. Anyways, hope everyone's weekend was safe and fun.

--Now it's odd, but I do still like Microsoft and use Windows, and part of that is because of their support for the GBLT Community, I wonder how the Ubuntu Community and Apple Community stand on this??? If anyone knows let me know.

RiceMonster
June 7th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I should hope there won't be any flaming.

SunnyRabbiera
June 7th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I have worked at a gay bar for the last few years, I usually have to clean up after it...
And no I am not gay.

NMFTM
June 7th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Why is non-heterosexuality (gay / lesbian / bisexual) always coupled together into the same category as transgenderism?

A non-heterosexual is someone who isn't attracted (or isn't exclusively attracted) to people of the opposite gender. A transgenderist (is that even a word) is someone who feels that weren't born into the correct gender.

One is exclusively about romantic and sexual relationships. The other is about gender identity. You could be transgender and also be asexual.

Phrea
June 7th, 2010, 04:40 AM
If you mean Gay Pride [and you do, I did not read too carefully, sorry], why not just say it, so people know what you are talking about? :)

Don't expect flaming from anybody here.

Phrea
June 7th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I will post this separately.

It's called Gay Pride, it suggests that people are proud to be gay.
I do NOT understand your topic title nor your cautiousness to reveal what you really mean.

It's all about pride, so flaunt it !

Be proud.

MCVenom
June 7th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Well, I support gay rights, if you're asking :P

Can't say I speak for the Ubuntu Community though... We are a diverse bunch. If you're wondering if Canonical has shown any support for the LGBT community though, I don't think they particularly have.

slooksterpsv
June 7th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Dang, I can't change the title, I dunno why I typed it like that... sorry :(, I'm not sure why they put Transgendered into the same as GBLT, my guess is it's all related to ... I can't think of words here, social acceptance? I dunno what word i wanted to use. I think it's because they, like some of the GBL community, are shunned away as well - that's my guess.

Sorry for the title of this post, want me to create a new one? Haha, just kidding.

Spike-X
June 7th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I should hope there won't be any flaming.
I'd expect there'd be plenty of flaming at a gay pride parade!

slooksterpsv
June 7th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Yeah there were picketers with signs saying:
"Homo sex is sin"
Something about Jesus died for your sins or that. And some with like some psalm numbers on it I think. Cops were controlling the crowds - we were agitated.

MCVenom
June 7th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I'm sorry. I lol'd.

slooksterpsv
June 7th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I'm sorry. I lol'd.

OMG I just re-read that, lol flaming, yeah lots of flaming fags. Yeah and I took flaming in the other sense in the previous post about picketers. Sorry lol, some things can just go both ways.

Spike-X
June 7th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Yeah there were picketers with signs saying:
"Homo sex is sin"

Yeah, there usually are. I wish people like that would find a more productive hobby than trying to make other people's lives miserable. I guess if they figure if they're not allowed to have any fun, nobody else should be either.

Phrea
June 7th, 2010, 05:54 AM
This was OP's original fear.

I'm not an admin/mod, but could we please get back on topic, so to not destroy this thread?

BoneKracker
June 7th, 2010, 05:59 AM
OMG I just re-read that, lol flaming, yeah lots of flaming fags. Yeah and I took flaming in the other sense in the previous post about picketers. Sorry lol, some things can just go both ways.

... so to speak, no pun intended. :P

Perfect Storm
June 7th, 2010, 06:05 AM
This was OP's original fear.

I'm not an admin/mod, but could we please get back on topic, so to not destroy this thread?

Removed.

DeadSuperHero
June 7th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Why is non-heterosexuality (gay / lesbian / bisexual) always coupled together into the same category as transgenderism?

A non-heterosexual is someone who isn't attracted (or isn't exclusively attracted) to people of the opposite gender. A transgenderist (is that even a word) is someone who feels that weren't born into the correct gender.

One is exclusively about romantic and sexual relationships. The other is about gender identity. You could be transgender and also be asexual.

Well, from my understanding there are different levels and types of transgenderism. There's crossdressing/tranvsestic fetishism, then there's non op, pre op, and post op. There are also Female-to-Male and Male-to-Female. The diversity of such a group of people can be astounding.

But more importantly. Yes, it's a gender identity/perception type of thing. However, you also have to realize that with transgenderism, not all attractions are one and the same. For example:

I have dated non-operational transwomen in the past. The attraction was physical in many heterosexual aspects, except for the methodology in which we had sex, and the appeal of said organs themselves. Is that a hetero or homosexual relationship? In my eyes, it is a cross between the two.

It is this fluid, undefinable aspect of the transgender movement that makes it fit in with the other letters. After all, they want the same rights as anyone else. At one point, they even considered themselves to be gay before realizing it was more of an identity thing rather than just attraction.

Also, why do you feel that sexual orientations and gender identity are not also romantic and sexual? As someone who has had and probably will continue to have transgender relationships, I will stand for my right to marry them, our rights to have children, and our rights to live without being persecuted.

In short, it is this drive to do pretty much the same thing the other movements are doing that unites transgenderism with gay, lesbian, and bisexual movements. Individually, they are all incredibly different in a number of aspects. But as a whole, they all fight for the same rights.

Be proud of who you are, and who you love.

kamaboko
June 7th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I wonder how the Ubuntu Community and Apple Community stand on this??? If anyone knows let me know.

So long as it doesn't involve "Flash", Jobs is probably behind it.

BslBryan
June 7th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I went to Pride 2009 in Atlanta with Common Ground, and I marched in the parade with PFLAG, the Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. I am not gay, but many of my friends are and I support gay rights to a large degree.

EDIT: Oh, and Fred Phelps and his crew were there. That was fun.

v1ad
June 7th, 2010, 07:35 AM
i would not expect flaming, but i would expect moderators to remove this thread.

there shouldn't be any topics about politics, religion, abortion, and any topics like these that draw great arguments, disagreements, and great controversy.

seanelly
June 7th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Being gay and proud isn't a big controversy...

themarker0
June 7th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I actually had a bad experience on anti homo phobe day. A lot of insults were thrown, and even though i'm straight, and was just supporting, i took a lot of hit. Rural areas are still full of homophobic racist sexist system supremacists.

slooksterpsv
June 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I went to Pride 2009 in Atlanta with Common Ground, and I marched in the parade with PFLAG, the Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. I am not gay, but many of my friends are and I support gay rights to a large degree.

EDIT: Oh, and Fred Phelps and his crew were there. That was fun.

I cannot stand that guy, I do not like him. Where I used to live, about 30 miles away was the town of Hunnington, and they were going to come protest the mine collapse they had there. I was so pissed, luckily they didn't show.

gemmakaru
June 7th, 2010, 08:15 AM
We have to wait until 03/07 (3rd of July) for Pride London. I can't wait. BI and proud of it.

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Personally I'm atheist, and that pretty much puts my faith in the human race no matter what. I'm not gay, but I did come into this world confused as to why people were hated against for who they love. I have gay friends, and they're just normal human beings. I've even been around the more outgoing ones...flamboyant is the term I believe, they can be cheerful people. I've never gone to a pride parade because I don't actually leave the house that much anyways :). I'm all for gay rights and marriage, as the old joke goes. "You guys should be allowed to be as miserable as the rest of us". :D
Honestly the whole mindset of being against gays is just some idiotic backwards thinking of the sheep. I never really liked those weirdo religious people too much.

Zlatan
June 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I don't have any problem with gay people, actually I have couple of gay friends, but I'm proud to be straight. Should I arrange a Straight Pride Parade? :)
And maybe chinchilla-owners-pride-parade? Ford-drivers-pride-parade? Etc? I don't get all these prides really...

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I don't have any problem with gay people, actually I have couple of gay friends, but I'm proud to be straight. Should I arrange a Straight Pride Parade? :)
And maybe chinchilla-owners-pride-parade? Ford-drivers-pride-parade? Etc? I don't get all these prides really...

because you're not oppressed.

seanelly
June 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Ever been sexually harassed because of your dog breed? Ever been assaulted because of your vehicle brand? Ever lost a job because of your sexual orientation? I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you and I know you're kidding around, but is it so hard for you to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes?

gnomeuser
June 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Well my future father-in-law has expressed the desire to have an honor killing performed as my atheism and my love for his daughter offends him. Luckily not all catholics are that scary and by no means would I ever claim that, but boy did that make my heart skip a beat. The situation is now mostly under control I think but the harshness of the reaction still occasionally makes me wake up at night soaked in sweat. Not because I believe he would actually do anything but because someone could even have such a strong reaction despite having never seen me or talked to me.

There are no atheist pride marches though, but I can fully understand the desire to show the world a different face than what our oppressors have been allowed uncritically to spout from the highest mountains.

This is about being who you are and letting you determine what the world should think about you based on your actions and your words. Rather than letting the fear of the unknown, the words of the uninformed, those with vested interests or hatred in their hearts instill the only image of you to ever see the light of day.

Have fun af Pride 2010 everyone, I hope it is a blast.

Spike-X
June 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I'm proud to be straight.

Why is that? What obstacles have you had to overcome before you could come to a full acceptance of who you are? Have you had to grow up listening to your family and peers constantly depict heterosexuality as the worst, most shameful thing possible for somebody to be? Have you had your parents threaten to disown you if you ever dared reveal your heterosexuality to them? Have you been threatened with violence simply for walking down the street with your opposite-sex partner? Have you cried yourself to sleep at night for years on end, terrified that somebody might find out that you're attracted to women?

Because that is what gay pride is about. It's not being proud of being gay. It's being proud of having the courage to stand up in the face of constant abuse and ridicule and mothers clutching their children close to them at the very thought of you and saying, "Yes, I'm gay. Deal with it, because I'm tired of pretending to be something I'm not and living in fear of people who are too narrow-minded to get over their own fear and hate." And anybody who has the courage to do that when there is still so much hate and fear and ignorance in the world about homosexuality, when there are people like Fr*d Ph*lps and James Dobson wanting to kill them or try to "cure" them, when there are people passing Constitutional freakin' amendments just to make sure "them queers" don't start thinking they deserve the same rights as us...anybody who can stand up to all of that and simply be who they are, does deserve a damn parade.

Should I arrange a Straight Pride Parade?

We already have one. It's called The Other 364 Days Of The Year.

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Well my future father-in-law has expressed the desire to have an honor killing performed as my atheism and my love for his daughter offends him. Luckily not all catholics are that scary and by no means would I ever claim that, but boy did that make my heart skip a beat. The situation is now mostly under control I think but the harshness of the reaction still occasionally makes me wake up at night soaked in sweat. Not because I believe he would actually do anything but because someone could even have such a strong reaction despite having never seen me or talked to me.

There are no atheist pride marches though, but I can fully understand the desire to show the world a different face than what our oppressors have been allowed uncritically to spout from the highest mountains.

This is about being who you are and letting you determine what the world should think about you based on your actions and your words. Rather than letting the fear of the unknown, the words of the uninformed, those with vested interests or hatred in their hearts instill the only image of you to ever see the light of day.

Have fun af Pride 2010 everyone, I hope it is a blast.

I never quite understood the point of religion. Most of them are so hypocritical, they tell you to care for fellow human beings yet they lead to mass killings, oppression of fellow human beings, and oppression of progression (1000 years of dark ages), but that's a story for a different time.

I actually wonder how an atheist pride parade would be ridiculed. I wonder what would be on the signs of protesters. Probably something like "Thinking is sin", or something.

DoubleClicker
June 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Ever been sexually harassed because of your dog breed? Ever been assaulted because of your vehicle brand? Ever lost a job because of your sexual orientation? I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you and I know you're kidding around, but is it so hard for you to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes?

I have a friend who is : gay, left-handed, blonde, American, a stanford graduate, and a vegetarian. However, he doesn't identify himself as a Stanford grad or a vegetarian, and he feels no need to be an active part of the "left-handed community" or the "blonde community", but he does identify himself as gay, and makes being part of the "gay community" a major point of focus.

Personally, I find it sad, that the fact that someone is persecuted for an attribute of their life, causes them to make that attribute central to their identity. I see no need to define oneself by other peoples prejudices.

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Why is that? What obstacles have you had to overcome before you could come to a full acceptance of who you are? Have you had to grow up listening to your family and peers constantly depict heterosexuality as the worst, most shameful thing possible for somebody to be? Have you had your parents threaten to disown you if you ever dared reveal your heterosexuality to them? Have you been threatened with violence simply for walking down the street with your opposite-sex partner? Have you cried yourself to sleep at night for years on end, terrified that somebody might find out that you're attracted to women?

Because that is what gay pride is about. It's not being proud of being gay. It's being proud of having the courage to stand up in the face of constant abuse and ridicule and mothers clutching their children close to them at the very thought of you and saying, "Yes, I'm gay. Deal with it, because I'm tired of pretending to be something I'm not and living in fear of people who are too narrow-minded to get over their own fear and hate." And anybody who has the courage to do that when there is still so much hate and fear and ignorance in the world about homosexuality, when there are people like Fr*d Ph*lps and James Dobson wanting to kill them or try to "cure" them, when there are people passing Constitutional freakin' amendments just to make sure "them queers" don't start thinking they deserve the same rights as us...anybody who can stand up to all of that and simply be who they are, does deserve a damn parade.

We already have one. It's called The Other 364 Days Of The Year.

You forgot to mention the Military policies assuming you're in the U.S. They're appealing the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy so that gays can openly serve in the military. The people who seem to be against it are backwards minded jarheads who consider someone's sexual orientation a distraction in the battlefield. But according to them I'm just a normal citizen who has no idea what it's like (seems like a poor logical argument to me).

Spike-X
June 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
You forgot to mention the Military policies assuming you're in the U.S.

I know, but if I stopped to include everything I didn't include, I would have been writing all night.

cascade9
June 7th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Asdide from DeadSuperHeros' take on things, IMO its because the whole GBLT community is very accepting of anyone who isnt 'sexually normal'.

Have you been threatened with violence simply for walking down the street with your opposite-sex partner?

LOL, I've been threatened with violence for just walkign down the street by myself. No, I'm not gay, or bi, it was just a stupid town with stupid people ("OMG, he has long hair, gotta be a ***"). As a result, I probably have more sympathy for the problems encountered by (at least some) gay people.

I've known a lot of gay/bi people, drunk at thier bars, etc, and found them in general to be normal human beings. Yes, some of them are very weird, but thats true of any subsection of humanity.

I never quite understood the point of religion. Most of them are so hypocritical, they tell you to care for fellow human beings yet they lead to mass killings, oppression of fellow human beings, and oppression of progression (1000 years of dark ages), but that's a story for a different time.

That is not the fault of real religion, its organised religion + power politics. Both of which are evil IMO.

Dayofswords
June 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM
i would not expect flaming, but i would expect moderators to remove this thread.

there shouldn't be any topics about politics, religion, abortion, and any topics like these that draw great arguments, disagreements, and great controversy.

only controversial if you want it to be

As for me, I'm not gay but I support gay marriage and all that, do what they want, i should have no say in what they want to do, also marriage has some legal benefits.

its nice you went to a parade, parades are fun =P just ignore the crazies, they're crazy. i may have not had the same plight but i can understand how bad it could be, growing up i was in special class for emotional and learning disabilities/difficulties so i was pretty picked on about it. in high school i developed OCD and had difficulties with people as i couldn't touch things. may not be the same and probably less harassing but i feel it has its similarities.

BenAshton24
June 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm a Christian, but don't worry, my pitchfork and torch are safely stowed away...

It's surprising the amount of religious hatred that comes out of threads like this. I've read every post and in the majority of them I see constant underlying hate. You're all talking about how you believe in equal rights and then some of you say that religious people are "backward sheep" and you call us the hypocrites.

In my faith it is a sin to be gay (Lev 18:22) and I believe that being gay is wrong.
That being said, I don't hate gay people and I certainly don't go around oppressing those whose beliefs differ from my own.
If you believe different things to me, then who am I to say that you're wrong?

I never really liked those weirdo religious people too much.
Lovely. I think your post makes my point perfectly.

Can't we all just get along?

Ben.

overdrank
June 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
On that note, thread closed.