PDA

View Full Version : Am I going nuts???

oxf
June 7th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I keep hearing music! I'm not kidding I was in my email the other night and heard this music.. much like you'd hear in the frozen food aisle of the grocery store. Couldn't figure out why. last night I heard it again. Then tonight I was at another website I visit (purely information/news etc) and there it is again.. the same piece of music! I'm not imagining this!!!!!

RiceMonster
June 7th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Don't worry about it. Some nice people in white coats will be here soon to make the music stop.

jimcooncat
June 7th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Seen your dentist lately?

oxf
June 7th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Don't worry about it. Some nice people in white coats will be here soon to make the music stop.
They're comming to take me away????? haha haha ....
Seriously I AM hearing this on several different sites!

oxf
June 7th, 2010, 02:27 AM
OK right now this page is playing me music!
http://www.excite.co.uk/

BoneKracker
June 7th, 2010, 02:30 AM
1. A good place to start would be to identify where it's coming from.

a) Inside your head

b) Outside your head

If it's (a), stop here. Go to the hospital.

2. Is it coming...

a) from another room

b) from the same room you're in

If it's (a), go that room. Repeat step 2.

3. Is it coming...

a) from right in front of you

b) from somewhere else

If it's (b), move toward the sound. Repeat step 3.

4. Are you...

a) In front of your computer

b) Not in front of your computer

If it's (b), turn off whatever you're standing in front of.

If it's (a), you have successfully complete Part I of this diagnostic process, please report your progress.

Firestem4
June 7th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I don't hear anything. May want to go see a doctor. Either that or start jamming along! :)

Timmer1240
June 7th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I went to that site me no hear anything!Dont feel bad sometimes I hear music in my sleep whole symphonys rock and roll in complete stereo if only I could record it its some far out stuff music Ive never heard before but my brains composing it subconciously!You might think Im crazy but its a gift!

oxf
June 7th, 2010, 02:38 AM
1. A good place to start would be to identify where it's coming from.

a) Inside your head

b) Outside your head

If it's (a), stop here. Go to the hospital.

2. Is it coming...

a) from another room

b) from the same room you're in

If it's (a), go that room. Repeat step 2.

3. Is it coming...

a) from right in front of you

b) from somewhere else

If it's (b), move toward the sound. Repeat step 3.

4. Are you...

a) In front of your computer

b) Not in front of your computer

If it's (b), turn off whatever you're standing in front of.

If it's (a), you have successfully complete Part I of this diagnostic process, please report your progress.

Result 4 a....

oxf
June 7th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I went to that site me no hear anything!Dont feel bad sometimes I hear music in my sleep whole symphonys rock and roll in complete stereo if only I could record it its some far out stuff music Ive never heard before but my brains composing it subconciously!You might think Im crazy but its a gift!

Yeah well right now I just go to that page and get boring clasical guitar melody
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

Phrea
June 7th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I'm not imagining this!!!!!

There's your answer.

MCVenom
June 7th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Hehe... I'm listening to the infamous Stickerbrush Symphony (or as Super Smash Bros. called it, Bramble Blast >>) song. If you've never heard it before, here ya go (maybe it'll drown out the other music): I'd love to have this stuck in my head! :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpij48BnI3A

Austin25
June 7th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Can you record it through a speaker port?

oxf
June 7th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Can you record it through a speaker port?
yes I can!

v1ad
June 7th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Seen your dentist lately?

haha like that.

oxf
June 7th, 2010, 03:11 AM
haha like that.

What does my dentist have to do with it?

Timmer1240
June 7th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Some people claim they can tune in radio through their fillings in there teeth could this be the case with you?

BoneKracker
June 7th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Result 4 a....

Well, then I'd say it's coming from your computer.

BoneKracker
June 7th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Well, then I'd say it's coming from your computer.

Just kidding.

Try isolating the source.

1. Does it indeed go away when you disable sound (by killing your alsa daemon or pulseaudio or whatever you're using)?

2. If so, does this only occur when you're connected to the Internet?

3. If so, does this only occur when you're connected to the web?

4. (a) If so, are you use ad blocker or pop-up blocker software? Might these sounds be coming from ads that are only partially suppressed somehow?
(b) If it's only occurring when you're connected the net (but not limited to when you're using a browser), are you running some kind of listener for streaming music broadcasts? Is there somebody else on your LAN broadcasting? Is you firewall properly configured?

5. Are you sure it's not inside your head?

red_Marvin
June 7th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Are your speakers turned on?
Sometimes speakers can recieve signals from AM radio broadcasts (bad EMC design).
This has happened with my brother's logitech 5.1 system -quite spooky.

MasterNetra
June 7th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Sometimes speakers can recieve signals from AM radio broadcasts (bad EMC design).

lol yea i have some Old ALTEC computer speakers that one time picked up a obscure christian station and occasionally a pilot.

oxf
June 7th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Just kidding.

Try isolating the source.

1. Does it indeed go away when you disable sound (by killing your alsa daemon or pulseaudio or whatever you're using)?

2. If so, does this only occur when you're connected to the Internet?

3. If so, does this only occur when you're connected to the web?

4. (a) If so, are you use ad blocker or pop-up blocker software? Might these sounds be coming from ads that are only partially suppressed somehow?
(b) If it's only occurring when you're connected the net (but not limited to when you're using a browser), are you running some kind of listener for streaming music broadcasts? Is there somebody else on your LAN broadcasting? Is you firewall properly configured?

5. Are you sure it's not inside your head?

It only occurs when I'm connected to the net and have Firefox open
It's always the same piece of music
I'm not using an add blocker
It's happened in only three location that I can remember, 1. a chat room on a networking site, and a couple of webpages like the example earlier.
Its most definately comming out the PC speaker

I'm familier with this phenomenon but not whats happening here. I find it interesting its the exact same music track every time!

whiskeylover
June 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Watch out for people in black suits. You might have found a bug in the matrix.

mmix
June 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM
fight music with music.

sydbat
June 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I encountered a very similar problem working on a client's computer about a year ago. They had WinXP. It turned out to be so severe that I had to reformat.

The best I could find via Google told me it was some type of Trojan that infected a Windows box (at least XP) and plays random streaming music, talk shows, etc. I could not find the source, nor could any AV (most likely because they had nothing listed about it on their sites).

To the OP - do you dual boot with Windows? If so, do you find the same behaviour in your Windows partition? If you do not dual boot and only use Ubuntu (or another Linux), I wonder if this might not be something similar to what I described above, except targeted at Firefox maybe? You could always create a new Firefox profile and see if that clears up the problem.

Frogs Hair
June 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I have heard strange sounds on sites, but they came from AV ads . If you start hering
lyrics like . oh sweet mystery of life at last I've found thee , seek help. :-({|=

bl00dang3l
June 7th, 2010, 03:44 PM
What does my dentist have to do with it?
Its a joke saying you're picking up radio stations from the filling in your teeth. Lucille Ball made a joke about this a long time ago during the communism scare in America.

sydbat
June 7th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Its a joke saying you're picking up radio stations from the filling in your teeth. Lucille Ball made a joke about this a long time ago during the communism scare in America.It was also in an episode of Gilligan's Island, and myriad other sitcoms from the 60's.

whiskeylover
June 7th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Its a joke saying you're picking up radio stations from the filling in your teeth. Lucille Ball made a joke about this a long time ago during the communism scare in America.

She didn't joke about it. She actually claimed to have heard radio signals and morse code in her teeth.

oxf
June 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I encountered a very similar problem working on a client's computer about a year ago. They had WinXP. It turned out to be so severe that I had to reformat.

The best I could find via Google told me it was some type of Trojan that infected a Windows box (at least XP) and plays random streaming music, talk shows, etc. I could not find the source, nor could any AV (most likely because they had nothing listed about it on their sites).

To the OP - do you dual boot with Windows? If so, do you find the same behaviour in your Windows partition? If you do not dual boot and only use Ubuntu (or another Linux), I wonder if this might not be something similar to what I described above, except targeted at Firefox maybe? You could always create a new Firefox profile and see if that clears up the problem.

I had wondered about a "sound virus" but in Linux??? Anyway I do dual boot but I hardly ever bother to go to Win XP any more. I'll check that out and report back. It's not really a problem as such more a sort of spooky curiousity!

My understanding of the dental effect is that it's believed that the amalgam in fillings rectifies a tiny current like a diode would do if you are in a strong RF field like next to a radio staion etc. But my fillings are all secure and I'm not going near a dentist right now!

Giant Speck
June 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Do you happen to be using Chromium?

I know that Chromium's pop-up blocker doesn't actually close pop-up windows; rather, it hides them. If the pop-up has some sort of audio on it, you'll still hear the audio, even though you can't see the pop-up itself.

Which is annoying sometimes. :mad:

themusicalduck
June 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I'd say it's definitely worth trying a new firefox profile. Rename the file .mozilla in your home folder to something and then start firefox. It'll set everything back to default.

blueturtl
June 7th, 2010, 04:56 PM
If you browse with 10 000 tabs open, one of those tabs could have an annoying flash advert with sounds in it. Those are the most annoying since you can't always tell where the sound is coming from. AdBlock+ solves that issue.

Someone else already pointed out that your speakers may actually be picking up radio signals and playing them through. That also happens sometimes and is easy to check too. Just unplug te speaker power cord and see if the sound goes bye bye.

YuiDaoren
June 7th, 2010, 06:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ4j-MBnLQo

BoneKracker
June 8th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Since it's only happening when you're in Firefox, and it's only happening when you have certain sites open, my suspicion would be that it's advertisements.

Maybe you have a popup-blocker (like the one built into Firefox) that is blocking the ad itself, but the audio is still getting played.

Do you have the adbocker add-on installed? If not, try installing that and see if the problem goes away. Even if you don't want to keep using it, that may serve to help isolate the problem.

Also, if you are using any hallucinogenic drugs, abstain for the duration of this diagnostic process.

tjwoosta
June 8th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I used some simple social engineering to get you to unknowingly run my script as root when you installed a .deb that I linked you to. This script then silently installed and configured ssh with my key and opened the appropriate port on your routers firewall and you machines firewall. I then simply logged in and installed vnc, which I am now using to spy on your desktop and I randomly play music whenever you open certain pages, just to mess with your head a bit.

I'm just Kidding by the way. :P Or am I....