PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble returning from Hibernation

irongreatwall
June 6th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Hello,

I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 a few days ago and I just discovered that my machine is having problem returning from Hibernation.

As soon as I tapped a key on my keyboard, my monitor's light turned from orange to green signaling that its getting output from my graphics card. However, I get a blank screen. After I pressed(not hold) my power button, a dialog box popped up ask me to sign in. However, my usb keyboard and mouse become unresponsive so I am force to do a hard reboot.

BTW i am dual booting windows 7 and ubuntu

Any suggestions?

Also, when entering hibernation, does Ubuntu back-up the data on the RAM into the hard-drive? if so should I clear that RAM file?

thanks

irongreatwall

donaldt
June 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I'm in tag a long mode on this one. How do I stop having to enter my password when my new 10.04 software demands it every time the computer is left alone for a while and needs a wake-up call...

Thanks!!

mastablasta
June 7th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I'm in tag a long mode on this one. How do I stop having to enter my password when my new 10.04 software demands it every time the computer is left alone for a while and needs a wake-up call...

Thanks!!

You are hijaking the thread. This has nothing to do with hibernation. It's a system security feature. I would leave it as it is (e.g. a virus can not run itself unless you type in a passoword). Unless you are installing new software contsantly it shouldn't bother you much.

Back to the original post now, i have similar problem. Though usually it returns from hibernation fine (by using the power on button on the desktop box) there was one time when i experienced complete freeze. Keyboard is PS/2, mouse is USB. Both froze.

So i would like to expand the questions here:

1. What is the equivalent in Linux of Sleep mode in WinXP? is there one?
2. How to turn off hibernation?
3. If turning it off is too complicated or invasive technique, how do i extend the time after which the computer goes into hibernation?

4. Why does it use a screensaver when i choose "Suspend"?

donaldt
June 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Well, thanks a lot!

Now back to your problem and the hell with mine.

I hope you have better luck, ----

anewguy
June 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Well, thanks a lot!

All anyone is asking is that you open your own thread for your problem, which is a separate issue from what the poster of this thread has.

Consider if you opened a thread about sound, and someone posted something in your thread about having disk problems and wanting help. It distracts from the thread, and often times leads to a very confusing thread because you have some people answering one question and others answering something completely different. This makes it nearly impossible for the original poster to get a solution, and it is extremely confusing for people with the same or similar problem trying to follow the thread.

Nobody was blowing you off - all they are asking is that you follow the forum rules and open your own thread for your unrelated problem.

Dave

Elfy
June 8th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Well, thanks a lot!

Hijacking threads that have little or nothing to do with your own issue helps no-one - please don't do it. It's simple enough to start your own thread.

Also bear in mind that everyone here is a volunteer and having an attitude will not normally bear fruit.

That said if you are saying that the screensaver is asking for the password - then turn that option of in the screensaver app in System - Preferences - SCreensaver - Lock Screen

mastablasta
June 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM
BUMP on these questions in addition to OP:

1. What is the equivalent in Linux of Sleep mode in WinXP? is there one?
2. How to turn off hibernation?
3. If turning it off is too complicated or invasive technique, how do i extend the time after which the computer goes into hibernation?

4. Why does it use a screensaver when i choose "Suspend"?

mastablasta
July 1st, 2010, 06:49 AM
Let me bump this thread again and expand my questions:

5. Why does computer use screensaver when i am wathing movies on it? Isn't wathing something an activity?
6. Why does computer go into suspend in 20 minutes instead of 30 as it is written in the setting when i set it?