PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Carbonite backup WUBI DUAL BOOT c

gunfyter
June 6th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Is it possible ... to have Carbonite working to back up Windows data ... and select the UBUNTU folder for Carbonite backup.

Will I be able to have my Ubuntu data backed up.

I am going to test this but I am unsure what subfolders need to be backed up.

bcbc
June 7th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I don't know anything about carbonite, but you can back up your ubuntu wubi install (data, os files, settings) - they're all in the file c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk (if you installed on c: or change to the correct drive).

You can back up the rest of the files e.g. swap.disk (usr.disk if on a fat filesystem), wublidr etc., but these you can get back from a re-install of wubi, whereas your data/customization/apps you've installed you will lose unless you back up root.disk.

You can also loop mount the root.disk file from a live cd or another ubuntu install and access your files/data in this manner.

See the wubi guide for more info https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

gunfyter
June 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks....

Carbonite is backing up my 17G c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk.

I am also using Ubuntu One to sync and backup the data I create in Ubuntu.

I have 36 month paid subscription to Carbonite. I know everything I want backed up in Windows XP is backed up there. I believe the c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk will also be restored. If not, my data is on Ubuntu One.

I will test a Carbonite restore of c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk in a couple of weeks and report back. It may be of interest to someone who like me paid for a long subscription and is doing a WUBI dual-boot.

cooked
June 19th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks....

Carbonite is backing up my 17G c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk.

I am also using Ubuntu One to sync and backup the data I create in Ubuntu.

I have 36 month paid subscription to Carbonite. I know everything I want backed up in Windows XP is backed up there. I believe the c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk will also be restored. If not, my data is on Ubuntu One.

I will test a Carbonite restore of c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk in a couple of weeks and report back. It may be of interest to someone who like me paid for a long subscription and is doing a WUBI dual-boot.
I am trying this too; so far without success, but it should be possible I think. Let me know please!

gunfyter
July 14th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I am trying this too; so far without success, but it should be possible I think. Let me know please!

What I am doing now is using Lucky Backup (search for it in the Ubuntu Software Center). You can also use GRSYNC (also in the software center).

I am making the Destination for my LUCKY BACKUP -- a folder in my Windows file system ....

Then in Windows I am making the LUCKY BACKUP folder one of the folders that gets backed up in Carbonite.

Lucky backup can be automated to do backups as often as you like to this backup folder.

http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/videos.html