PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Error reading from CD-ROM during USB stick install of Ubuntu Server 10.04

Thornsten
June 6th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I downloaded the Ubuntu Server 10.04 64bit ISO and the universal USB installer, created a USB install disk and booted from it. I started the installation and right after keyboard setup I got an error saying Unable to read from CD-ROM, retry/abort. Looking at the alt-f4 log it was unable to find a file, fs-secondaryblahblahblah.udeb

I hit alt-f2 and cd'd to /cdrom/pool/main/l/linux (I think, this is all from memory) and found that file.... almost. The file there was fs-secondaryblahblahblah.ude, no b on the end. I tried renaming it but the filesystem was mounted read-only.

So, cd back to /
Type mount and hit enter.
Take note of the cdrom entry, at the beginning of that line it will say /dev/????? Mine was like /dev/svd0 or something like that. Remember whatever that is.
Then type umount /cdrom
Then type mount -t vfat /dev/????? (whatever your device was from earlier) /cdrom
That will mount the cdrom rw so you can rename the file to .udeb

Then press alt-F1 and press enter to retry and the installation will continue like normal.

ermannob
June 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks mate. You saved my afternoon!

syuzh
June 28th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Another simpler option is to just go into your USB drive with all the installation files and rename the file there, prior to the actual installation.

pool\main\l\linux

Cavillis
February 11th, 2011, 01:32 AM
this issue happened to me while installing 10.10 server - have you opened up a defect? I think the cause is the program the documentation recommends for making ubuntu installable from USB. I would bet that the names are getting truncated due to an arbitrary limit on the length of file names

gadikas
March 3rd, 2011, 02:36 AM
yea thanks
g:\pool\main\fs-secondary-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.udeb
missed the b at the end :/