PDA

View Full Version : The UNIX Thread

kaldor
June 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Discussion about UNIX. BSD/Hurd/Linux/Mac don't count this time :)

-IRIX

-HP-UX

-AIX

-Solaris (opensolaris is too "Linux" for this discussion imo)

-Xenix (Microsoft's UNIX)

and so on..

Are there any people here that use one of these "true UNIX" operating systems at work or anything? How do they measure up to the competition?

I've not had the chance to try any aside from Solaris. I feel I am missing out :(

Shining Arcanine
June 6th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Does excluding BSD exclude System V as well? I know that the two of them shared their initial codebase.

kaldor
June 6th, 2010, 04:54 PM
BSD is based on V, yeah, but the point of this thread was with the more "commercial" UNIX systems :)

juancarlospaco
June 6th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Theres no Unix OS, Unix is a Spec...

Frogs Hair
June 6th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I used Unix for in-circuit testing at one job . Unix was used by the test engineers for developing test programs and fixtures for electronic products.

Miguel
June 6th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I think I have like 2 hours experience with Tru64 in an old Alpha machine. That should count, shouldn't it?

kaldor
June 6th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Yes there is a UNIX OS.

I notice most every post you make is an incorrect statement against somebody.

Look it up a little. IRIX, HP-UX, etc were all based on an old UNIX OS.

NMFTM
June 6th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Yes there is a UNIX OS.

I notice most every post you make is an incorrect statement against somebody.
Internet drama makes me lawl.

MCVenom
June 6th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Discussion about UNIX. BSD/Hurd/Linux/Mac don't count this time :)

So... no Free or Open Source UNIX implementations...

-Solaris (opensolaris is too "Linux" for this discussion imo)...Pretty much huh? :P

You realize Solaris ain't too much different than OpenSolaris, right?

They have a UNIX-based OS? Why do they still sell that Windows Server junk then? :lolflag: (But no really, I've learned something today :D)

and so on..

Are there any people here that use one of these "true UNIX" operating systems at work or anything? How do they measure up to the competition?

I've not had the chance to try any aside from Solaris. I feel I am missing out :(OSX is a 'true UNIX', they have a certificate ;)

Sporkman
June 6th, 2010, 08:42 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Ms_xenix.png

lostinxlation
June 6th, 2010, 09:05 PM
My experience..

SunOS, Solaris (Sun)
HP-UX (HP)
Domain/OS (Apollo)
The one on Sony NeWS workstation. Don't remember the name (Sony)
HaL OS (HaL)

Frogs Hair
June 6th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Long time

KiraLexi
June 6th, 2010, 10:07 PM
HP-UX is a great OS, severely underrated.

AIX is fast, and can do some awesome stuff (LPARs), but sucks in other ways.

Solaris used to be great fun back when Sun was still emphasizing SPARC hardware. I used a Blade 1500 as my primary workstation for a while - it was unique in that it was a RISC UNIX workstation that could run Flash. :)

IRIX is kind of a mixed bag. The hardware got less and less good as time went by... the Octane2 and O2+ were both less than stellar, and the Tezro and its contemporaries (Onyx4, Fuel) were very buggy pieces of equipment. SGI also stopped adding substantial features to IRIX later on.

koenn
June 6th, 2010, 10:14 PM
some experience with something old from SCO. Openserver 4 or 5, I think.

it felt more primitive than what I'm used to in Linux : no command completion in the shell, vi in stead of vim - takes some getting used to, config files in odd places, some config files missing and , in stead, there were shell scripts configuring network interfaces, setting up routes, etc, so you'd have to edit those instead of, say, /etc/network/interfaces. And for some reason, backspace never seemed to work the way you expect.

otoh, that system was probably 10 years older than any linux I ever used, so it doesn't really compare.

all in all, I found that knowing linux helped a lot at finding my way around it.

toupeiro
June 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I cut my teeth professionally on DG/UX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DG/UX) (Data General UNIX)

Before that I had some SunOS shell accounts with my ISP I hacked around on.

From there I went on to AIX and supporting Solaris more mainstream, then on to IRIX. From then on, I've been pretty much dedicated to Linux based distributions.

http://www.typewritten.org/Media/Images/dgux-x.desktop.png <-- What a DG/UX desktop looked like.

kaldor
June 6th, 2010, 11:15 PM
That DE looks kinda nice to be honest. I'd like to have something like that on my old server box lol

toupeiro
June 6th, 2010, 11:46 PM
That DE looks kinda nice to be honest. I'd like to have something like that on my old server box lol

looks can be deceiving. I prefer CDE to IXI and I can't stand CDE. 99.9% of my work was done at the CLI anyway so I wasn't subjected to it very often at all. For its time, DG/UX was incredibly advanced. If anyone supports any modern day CLARiiON EMC storage, EMC bought that technology from Data General, and it has remained mostly unmodified to this day.

lostinxlation
June 7th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Looks like those with UNIX experiences are minority here.

MCVenom
June 7th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Looks like those with UNIX experiences are minority here.
On a Linux forum. Where many people have also used OSX. :P

...There is no *real* UNIX, unless you're talking about the original UNIX... But I'd love to know to know how many people here have experience with that! :D

kaldor
June 7th, 2010, 01:51 AM

...There is no *real* UNIX, unless you're talking about the original UNIX... But I'd love to know to know how many people here have experience with that! :D

"Real" UNIX as in the ones based on the original UNIX that are still proprietary. Mac OS X doesn't act enough like a "true" UNIX though, in my opinion.

KiraLexi
June 7th, 2010, 03:22 AM

Real UNIX is anything built on the original UNIX codebase. Linux doesn't count. BSD is closer, but supposedly all UNIX code was purged in the early 1990's. Arguably, the closest thing to pure UNIX these days is the SCO operating systems (OpenServer and UnixWare) since my understanding is that SCO maintains the reference codebase.

lostinxlation
June 7th, 2010, 04:42 AM

The original code written by Linus Torvalds is getting replaced by others. If all the code got replaced by new ones that are written by others, do you not call Ubuntu as "Linux" ?

MCVenom
June 7th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Real UNIX is anything built on the original UNIX codebase. Linux doesn't count. BSD is closer, but supposedly all UNIX code was purged in the early 1990's. Arguably, the closest thing to pure UNIX these days is the SCO operating systems (OpenServer and UnixWare) since my understanding is that SCO maintains the reference codebase.
Ahh okay. This clears it up for me, thanks :)

Dr. C
June 7th, 2010, 05:47 AM
IBM has some interesting material on the differences between GNU / Linux and Unix http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-unix-difflinux.html

KiraLexi
June 7th, 2010, 05:48 AM
The original code written by Linus Torvalds is getting replaced by others. If all the code got replaced by new ones that are written by others, do you not call Ubuntu as "Linux" ?

If a third party intentionally rewrote all current Linux code and distributed it as "Linux-like" with slight incompatibilities... it would not longer be Linux.

toupeiro
June 7th, 2010, 06:33 AM

DG/UX was based on SysVR2... There are lots of us who have experience with "real" UNIX. Data General operated from 1968 - 1999. That's about as real as you can get... :P