PDA

View Full Version : Deadly airborne fungus spreading in the NW USA

sdowney717
June 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36722426/ns/health-infectious_diseases/ns/health-infectious_diseases/

It comes from inhaling spores that grow in trees and the mortality rate is very high up to 1 in 4 healthy people infected can expect to die.
The story reads like a movie plot of doom.

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/_Player/a_tdy_brown_spore_100422.300w.jpg

"public health officials in that area have formed a working group with state epidemiologists from all those states in the Pacific Northwest," Byrnes noted. "It's important that public awareness expand on this."

dragos240
June 6th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Holy crap. Good thing I'm the north east USA. But I rally hope we find some sort of prevention method soon. Otherwise we're going to see medical masks everywhere.

cprofitt
June 6th, 2010, 04:11 PM
That story is rather ominous.

screaminj3sus
June 6th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Wow that's insane. Hope they find a way to prevent this.

Austin25
June 6th, 2010, 04:28 PM
SHOOT!!! I live in Minnesota! I hope I'm part of the 75%!

doorknob60
June 6th, 2010, 05:45 PM
In Oregon? Oh, just great....then why haven't I heard about this until now? Hopefully it's not too serious. Guess if I stay inside I'll be safe :P

sudoer541
June 6th, 2010, 06:01 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36722426/ns/health-infectious_diseases/ns/health-infectious_diseases/

It comes from inhaling spores that grow in trees and the mortality rate is very high up to 1 in 4 healthy people infected can expect to die.
The story reads like a movie plot of doom.

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/_Player/a_tdy_brown_spore_100422.300w.jpg

[sarcasm] A new version of swine flu has been released... version 2.5.0. [sarcasm]
Come on!!! its no big deal nothing will happen... just relax and enjoy the summer!!!:P
Plus I live in Canada...so I dont care!!!

LowSky
June 6th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Trees killing people? Its M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" in real life.

Barrucadu
June 6th, 2010, 06:34 PM
How do they know it takes "months to years of antifungal medications"? Unless this has been kept secret for years (doubtful; but if so it's not anything new to worry about), they're just guessing.

qamelian
June 6th, 2010, 06:47 PM
How do they know it takes "months to years of antifungal medications"? Unless this has been kept secret for years (doubtful; but if so it's not anything new to worry about), they're just guessing.
They know it takes months to years because this is a new strain of an existing fungus. This is not uncommon. My mother spent a little over 18 months being treated for an infection she picked up while in hospital for heart surgery. Some type of infections are highly resistant to treatment.

Austin25
June 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM
It's revenge for making paper! :lolflag:

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM
The sky is falling.

McRat
June 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Probably all those wingnuts who are busy hammering nails in trees to injure lumberjacks got the trees angry. No good deed goes unpunished I suppose...

wilee-nilee
June 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Probably all those wingnuts who are busy hammering nails in trees to injure lumberjacks got the trees angry. No good deed goes unpunished I suppose...

Always a balanced non-biased comment how do you do that.

sudoer541
June 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM
It's revenge for making paper! :lolflag:

LOL Loved it!!!!!
I think we should call Yoshi to eat those vicious trees...I found the solution!!!!:P
Bad, bad tree!!!

jwbrase
June 6th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Well, I notice that they say that it's 1 in 4 who develops symptoms dies, not 1 in 4 exposed. Also, the predecessor strain hasn't killed many people, compared to the population of the pacific Northwest, despite having a 9% mortality rate. So I'm not sure it's quite as bad as they say.

That said: I am going to be vacationing in British Columbia later this summer...

jwbrase
June 6th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Accidental double post do to network trouble. Removed.

tgalati4
June 6th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I was in Buchart Gardens in 1999. I'm sure I breathed some spores.

I'm not dead.

Yet.