PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KVM vs. manual Switch

SOG420
June 6th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I have bought three different kvm switchs to connect a Win 7 and a Ubuntu 10.04 system (two different towers). After plugging in any of the KVM switchs the ubuntu system wont display correctly. It either blinks or is completely black.Because of this I researched this problem and decided to go with a manual switch. My question is if anyone has had experience with a manual switch and if adding an agp video card would hinder performance with a switch. I have googled this and no one seems to have a similar prob. thanks

sparklyprgs
June 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
If by manual switch you mean something like these:

http://www.linhawstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=30&sort=1d&filter_id=352

then yes, I have used that with no problems on Ubuntu. That type of switch does literally the same thing as swapping cables so it works with anything. The only problem I found was it slightly degraded the video signal (shadowing, extra noise). Maybe because I bought the cheapest one I could find!

SOG420
June 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
If by manual switch you mean something like these:

http://www.linhawstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=30&sort=1d&filter_id=352

then yes, I have used that with no problems on Ubuntu. That type of switch does literally the same thing as swapping cables so it works with anything. The only problem I found was it slightly degraded the video signal (shadowing, extra noise). Maybe because I bought the cheapest one I could find!

Exactly What I bought! Do you use a video card or the onboard video w/ it?

stderr
June 7th, 2010, 02:47 AM
The only problem I found was it slightly degraded the video signal (shadowing, extra noise). Maybe because I bought the cheapest one I could find!
My plain ol' cheapo Ebuyer KVM does the same, but works fine across all OSs. Incidentally, on mine, keyboard & mouse cables must be connected along with the monitor cables for it to work.

sparklyprgs
June 7th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Exactly What I bought! Do you use a video card or the onboard video w/ it?

Hehee cool co-incidence. I use a video card and it works fine. Can't see why using onboard video would make any difference though.