PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Bad Stuttering with install CD pics included. Help

maddbaron
June 6th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I've been having a problem installing Ubuntu on my windows 7 lenovo G455 laptop. I've burned 4 cd's and finally on the fourth I can get to the try ubuntu or install ubuntu selection after slowing the burner with infra record

Throughout all of this my dvdr drive has been spinning very fast and the screen stutters badly, i'm concerned if I continue the install process I'm going to burn out my dvdr or the install will have errors.

So is there anyway to slowdown my dvdr drive or will the install go fine regardless or lastly try doing the flash drive install?

Specs on laptop are
AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core M320 Processor
ATI Mobile Radeon HD4200 512MB

Thanks in advance for any help.

maddbaron
June 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I downloaded the dvd torrent for 10.04... but had the same problem. took the dvd out to start windows and windows wouldn't start. Had to system restore.
So with the regular install cd & dvd I get the same issues as above.
Does anyone know if this is fixable?
if I go ahead with this install will I get a normal non-stuttering desktop?

Krydox
June 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Offhand, it's difficult to find the problem here. It could be your cd/dvd drive, it could also be your cd's or dvd's..

See if you can try different ones, or try another ubuntu release with the same cd's. If it doesn't happen with another release, it means there's probably a sort of compatibility issue.

With my own laptop, I had a weird issue like this. It wouldn't install ubuntu from a disc burned on windows, only on one that was burned in ubuntu.

an0dos
June 7th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I downloaded the dvd torrent for 10.04... but had the same problem. took the dvd out to start windows and windows wouldn't start. Had to system restore.
So with the regular install cd & dvd I get the same issues as above.
Does anyone know if this is fixable?
if I go ahead with this install will I get a normal non-stuttering desktop?

If it is still a problem after the install, you may be able to fix it by clicking on

system-->Administration-->Hardware Drivers

and installing the ATI driver.

maddbaron
June 8th, 2010, 01:13 PM
i'm going to see if linux mag released their new issue and if it has an ubuntu dvd in it and try it after trying to install with dvd i burned. its such a weird issue. my last ubuntu was 7. something and worked fine on my aged acer...really confusing that it doesn't work on my new tech

Offhand, it's difficult to find the problem here. It could be your cd/dvd drive, it could also be your cd's or dvd's..

See if you can try different ones, or try another ubuntu release with the same cd's. If it doesn't happen with another release, it means there's probably a sort of compatibility issue.

With my own laptop, I had a weird issue like this. It wouldn't install ubuntu from a disc burned on windows, only on one that was burned in ubuntu.

maddbaron
June 8th, 2010, 01:13 PM
i'll give it a go...thanks

If it is still a problem after the install, you may be able to fix it by clicking on

system-->Administration-->Hardware Drivers

and installing the ATI driver.

visuramanan
June 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I too have a G455 and i'm basically having the same problem. I guess its a problem with the open source ati drivers. The problem goes away with the proprietary ati drivers. But those proprietary drivers are bad and cause tearing of video & poor color. On the other hand, the open source drivers work well. The color & brightness is comparable to tht of windows 7. So if there is a fix for this, then that would be great.