PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu from USB stick without boot

myfunkystar
June 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I have an existing instalation of Ubuntu Server 10.04 on an old machine with no floppy, cd-rom (broken after I did the install)
I want now to make a fresh install from a USB stick but it can't boot from USB.
Can I install using the terminal from my USB stick?

Thank you!

sXeChris
June 6th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Although this is rather old, I hope it helps:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-x-ubuntu-610/

madalasatish
June 6th, 2010, 12:37 PM
To install Ubuntu server edition from USB stick you should create STARTUP disk.
ISO image wont work on USB. You can create a start up disk from an ISO image easily at SYSTEM>ADMINISTARTION>START UP DISK CREATOR.

myfunkystar
June 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Even if I already mentioned it , my old machine dosen't have an option in bios to make it boot from USB, so it can't boot from an USB stick. It also can NOT boot from a cd-rom or a floppy disk because they are missing.
Fortunately this old machine already has Ubuntu Server installed on it. Can I install a fresh Ubuntu Server somehow? Considering that I have 2 usb ports I think this can be achived with an USB stick, but how?

Anyways thank you for the fast replys.

C.S.Cameron
June 6th, 2010, 07:52 PM
You can download the iso and use UNetbootin to make like a virtual CD on your hard disk that will allow you to install Ubuntu the next time you boot.

I guess you can do the same if you have the iso on USB stick.

cagey_cretin
June 22nd, 2010, 01:39 AM
To install Ubuntu server edition from USB stick you should create STARTUP disk.
ISO image wont work on USB. You can create a start up disk from an ISO image easily at SYSTEM>ADMINISTARTION>START UP DISK CREATOR.
Sadly, I have a FUBARed 8.10 install. My other machine, also and 8.10, does not have the "start up disk creator". Disappointing to be sure...

As an aside, I tried upgrading my FUBARed machine to 9.something, and never got the display back, hence the desire for a USB install.