PDA

View Full Version : Unmoderated discussions?

Nick_Jinn
June 6th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I heard there was a board for that, but where is it?

I want to talk about religion and politics and other controversial subjects.

wojox
June 6th, 2010, 11:02 AM
No such place exists. It would turn into Thunderdome in here. No rules, just total anarchy.

Barrucadu
June 6th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Alas, it vanished a while back.

wilee-nilee
June 6th, 2010, 11:03 AM
irc

KiwiNZ
June 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I heard there was a board for that, but where is it?

I want to talk about religion and politics and other controversial subjects.

We found it with the Death Star. Well the rest is history. Its gone.

Random_Dude
June 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
It's called 4Chan.

Nick_Jinn
June 6th, 2010, 11:26 AM
(Anarchy doesnt really mean no rules btw0

I dont mind if its somewhat moderated. I just want to be able to discuss topics that I find interesting without them being shut down for what I consider to be arbitrary reasons. I cant talk about a news article from 2 years ago?

It took me about 5 minutes to make this forum here.

http://free-forum-ubuntu.proboards.com/index.cgi

I want it to be a comparatively more open forum, nothing like 4-chan with the trolling and spam.

sdowney717
June 6th, 2010, 11:49 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

not unmoded but anything is discussed

wojox
June 6th, 2010, 12:24 PM
(Anarchy doesnt really mean no rules btw0

Anarchy means Absence of government. Being the Mods are the governing body, without them ruling over the good and the bad, we would have Anarchy, btw0

kaldor
June 6th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I really wish that things weren't so tight when it comes to moderation here sometimes.

I feel like things are a bit "childsafe" when topics get locked. I can understand religious-related things (my god is better than your god!) but the political things are a bit much. My topic about the concerns of the drug war was locked maybe 2 years ago because the subject of marijuana use being illegal was mentioned. Nobody was getting argumentative, it just geared in that direction.

A review of rules might be nice. Aside from that, the mods do a wonderful job.

Frogs Hair
June 6th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I'm glad for moderation and I use the wrecked Linux thread from yesterday as an example (removed). I think anybody who saw it would agree the link posted on the thread was just plain nasty.

oldos2er
June 6th, 2010, 05:46 PM
irc

Or Usenet.

Nick_Jinn
June 6th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Anarchy means Absence of government. Being the Mods are the governing body, without them ruling over the good and the bad, we would have Anarchy, btw0

That is the conventional understanding of 'anarchy' as it is used these days, but the root of the word 'Anarchy' means 'without rulers'.

Now this is a very broad definition of anarchy and could mean some wildly different things.....A situation 'without rulers' could mean the chaos following a fallen government, though it would give rise to warlords and gangs and that is no longer anarchy....Or it could mean a highly egalitarian collectivist society that uses rank and file methods of organizing direct participatory democracy, where the people self govern without a ruling class....a highly evolved form of democracy. This second type of Anarchy is a GOOD thing and represents the apex of social evolution. The first type of Anarchy is maybe not so good.

MCVenom
June 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I'm glad for moderation and I use the wrecked Linux thread from yesterday as an example (removed). I think anybody who saw it would agree the link posted on the thread was just plain nasty.
+9001

That was just... wow man, wow... :lolflag:

Nick_Jinn
June 7th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I am not advocating that Ubuntu stop moderating. I just heard that there was a single unmoderated board where I could talk about other topics and was interested.

What 'I' would prefer isnt a complete lack of moderation, but a board with an anything goes attitude, short of spam/flooding/threats/stalking/personal-info/ect. A forum where a thread wont get locked because the OP used a non recent web article, or where you can talk about hypothetical social expiriments without them getting locked for bordering on the political.

And even if it was totally unmoderated, if its just one board I dont see the harm. If you dont like it, dont go there.