PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu update

micronet
June 6th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Hi
i wanna ask a question about old versions of ubuntu:
i know that by using an unsupported (I'm not sure if it is the right word :???:) version (like 8.10 for example) security updates are unreachable, but i wanna know if ther is any way to get software updates(transmission,totem,firefox,openoffice,etc. ..)
thanks

micronet
June 6th, 2010, 03:48 PM
any idea, please ???

snowpine
June 6th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Sure, you can get the latest Firefox from www.firefox.com
OpenOffice from www.openoffice.org

etc.

(You are responsible for making sure all dependencies can be satisfied.)

I recommend upgrading to a currently-supported release.

gdonwallace
June 6th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Like snowpine said, You can go to the individual websites and download the latest and greatest of each program. When doing that, at least for Firefox and OpenOffice you can set them to check for upates. That way, if a newer version comes out, since it wont hit the repos for the version of Ubuntu that you are running; You still get the updtes.

Also if you can download the .deb files for the programs you want to install, the deb install program will check that dependencies are met. If they are not, then it will list the files that need to be installed to meet the dependencies. By installing from the .deb file, there will also be an entry in synaptic for that program for uninstall or reinstall at a later time.

As a side note, whenever I can download a .deb file, I always make a copy of it in a directory in my /home/ folder. That way if I have to re-install I have the file already downloaded.