PDA

View Full Version : The future of PowerPC

AlexandreP
March 26th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Hi all,

It is not a recent news: Apple is moving its computers to Intel processors. What future does the PowerPC have on personal computers? From what people said, the PowerPC is a more advanced and more efficace technology than x86 processors; will another company distribute PowerPC or Cell-based computers for home usage?

I know the Cell is about to be used in some video games consoles (I don't remember their names), and it will probably be used in servers and scientific labs, but will it ever appear in personal home computers?

Trel
March 26th, 2006, 12:25 AM
For now the future of home computers is x86_64 and x86.

The reason? The hardware is cheap and operating systems/drivers have been written for x86 and now x86_64 for several years.

fuscia
March 26th, 2006, 12:31 AM
surely there must be a need for the 'slow and deliberate'.

rfruth
March 26th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Sure looks like the PPC is in the rear view mirror to me.

BWF89
March 26th, 2006, 02:19 PM
If Apple is switching to i386 processors does that mean if I wanted to install Ubuntu on a Macintel that I could just use the i386 install cd?

ssam
March 26th, 2006, 03:47 PM
ibm will still use it in servers. there are also imbedded applications. and games consoles.

i imagine ubuntu will keep supporting it for a good while. putting linux on powerpc macs might become more popular when a new mac os x stops supporting powerpc.

BoyOfDestiny
March 26th, 2006, 04:22 PM
If Apple is switching to i386 processors does that mean if I wanted to install Ubuntu on a Macintel that I could just use the i386 install cd?

Mactels don't use BIOS, they use EFI. So if there are modifications to support it (it's been done with gentoo).

http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page

I guess the answer should be yes/eventually.

eriqk
March 26th, 2006, 08:49 PM
putting linux on powerpc macs might become more popular when a new mac os x stops supporting powerpc.

My thoughts exactly.
Those late generation G4s and the G5s will probably still work in 8-10 years (judging by the Macs I've worked with in my old job). It would be a shame to turn them into very stylish doorstops just because there is no more OS support from Apple.

Groet, Erik

ssam
March 26th, 2006, 09:09 PM

and it might possibly work in dapper. there are a lot updates to packages like elilo happening in dapper.

poofyhairguy
March 27th, 2006, 06:58 AM
From what people said, the PowerPC is a more advanced and more efficace technology than x86 processors; will another company distribute PowerPC or Cell-based computers for home usage?

Yes. Consoles and such are being sold with PPC chips designed for home use. Sony seems ready to bundle Linux with its PS3s and would love for them to take a chunk out of the computer market. It only seems Nintendo is offering a pure gaming machine this time around. The future for IBM Procs seems great....

Genican1
October 5th, 2007, 02:53 AM
e

Incense
October 5th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Wow, this is an old thread! Gutsy is being released for the PPC, so ubuntu has not abandoned it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads