PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation seems impossible on my acer

ellipsic
June 5th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I have tried to install Ubuntu i386 on an Acer Aspire 5810TZ, but have been unsuccessful... I have tried

- installation by CD and DVD of all releases from 8.04 up to 10.04
- installation via bootable USB
- installation via bootable USB onto another USB stick acting as the hard drive

all of these fail. Basically, the install goes well until copying files, then fails with an "input/output error" message, and a suggestion that the CD reader is dirty or the hard drive is broken -- getting the same message when installing onto a USB stick makes me think that that none of these options is possible... so I'm really at a loss. Just for fun, I tried installing SUSE linux and THAT also failed. I don't have any idea what's going on, this has never happened to me before... Any ideas? Thanks !

I have checked the md5sums, tried burning again, tried USB, etc. I don't think the hard drive is actually damaged, given that install also failed when i tried to install onto a USB.

c9-3Rr0r
June 5th, 2010, 11:06 PM
try to check your hard drive for errors

sudo fsck /dev/your disk

davidmohammed
June 5th, 2010, 11:10 PM
are you sure you have downloaded the 32bit intel desktop edition and not a 32bit AMD or 64bit edition of lucid? Using the wrong ISO could explain your issues.

ellipsic
June 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Yes, all isos I use are i386

davidmohammed
June 6th, 2010, 08:42 PM
longshot - these guys (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/245794) have reported this issue. One ran a memtest (from the live CD i guess) which showed a RAM issue. Is this your problem?

ellipsic
June 18th, 2010, 11:53 AM
This seems very possible, given that the install failed independent of whether i was installing onto the hard disk or onto a USB, whether using CD or USB. I will look into it.