PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install 10.04 and transfer 9.04 settings, new hdd

Rhetoric Camel
June 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Alright I couldn't explain it in the title for this post so I'll try to do my best here.

As of right now I'm dual booting windows xp and ubuntu 9.04. Windows is on the c drive and ubuntu is on my g drive. They are both on the same hdd just different partitions.
I have another hdd that I would like to install 10.04 onto and transfer over all of my settings (and files if possible) from 9.04 to the new installation of 10.04 on the new drive. Afterwords I'd like to uninstall 9.04 from the g drive and have that part of the partition back to continue storing programs and other files for windows.
Basically I want each operating system to have their own hdd but I would like to transfer my settings from 9.04 to 10.04

Is this possible? I don't have MUCH that I don't want to lose on my current ubuntu, my main issue was that it took forever to get the wireless internet router to work and it finally does and I don't want to have to go through that again. I also don't want to lose my sound system settings because that took FOREVER to get working properly, and honestly I don't remember how I did it now, it was so long ago.

So if this is possible a little guidance would be great. If it's not possible let me know, I'll just start over fresh and clean with a new beginning and tinker around until I get everything working again.

Thanks in advance.

Rhetoric Camel
June 6th, 2010, 06:57 PM
bump