PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Learn To Use Ubuntu?

LinuxIreland
June 5th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Hi All,

I'd like to know how you first learned to use Ubuntu (depending on your skill level with GNU/Linux, that could mean a lot of things)...

...but how did you get to where you are today? Forums? Googling? Going Solo? Or Some Formal Training? I'd like to know :-)

I

Sealbhach
June 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Pretty much by using Windows for many years beforehand.

Really, Ubuntu is not that difficult.

screaminj3sus
June 5th, 2010, 09:23 PM

Yeah for me its this + google.

donkyhotay
June 5th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I Googled a awful lot!
I read the flippin' manual, of course!
I've been here in the forum since I gParted!

Learned with a combination of all 3, by manual I assume you're talking about the man pages (don't have an actual ubuntu book).

sandyd
June 5th, 2010, 10:29 PM
i learned by screwing up my computer more times than I could imagine.

cariboo
June 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I still haven't learned to use Ubuntu. :) I used Debian before using Ubuntu.

sanderella
June 5th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Using the GUI. I just muddle through. I can use it now, but I know nuthin about it, rarely use the Terminal. The instructions for download and install are straightforward. I sometimes go to our local Linux User Group, but I can usually manage to work things out, especially with help from the guys on this forum.:)

Timmer1240
June 5th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I was with windows since 1998 started reading about linux and trying live distros about 5 years ago started to become real interested!I just installed Ubuntu about 4 months ago and have been in love with it since day one!My friends think Im nuts for switching to linux they dont get it I guess!Ubuntus very user friendly nowadays I like the gnome window manager simple easy to use and very cusomizable Im not big on the terminal yet I google for that learned how to auto mount drives and whatnot.This forum is a great source of help and knowledge too!I really like the fact that Linux is secure by design and I dont have to run Antivirus and malware scanners and defrag all the time!Guess I havent got my printer working yet with it canon pixma ip 1600 have to dig deep into that one day!I m triple booted but Ubuntu is the system I choose now when booting up even though I got xp and windows 7 also their kind of neglected now!I think Im gonna stick with linux now as its very good easy to learn about and is very secure!I just install software from the repositorys so am assuming I should be safe from viruses and malware!And its fast as hell have never had windows run this fast so its all good for me!Long live Ubuntu!

John Bean
June 5th, 2010, 10:49 PM
You need another option: "By using it"

mmesantos1
June 5th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Well started with a IBM Clone 286 with DOS and then after useing every version of Windows put out I found linux. First found Mandriva then Open Suse then Ubuntu. Now I primarily use Linux Mint. I used the forums, man pages, google and sometime tinkerd on my own. All of this helped me in learning Linux, though linux was not too difficult to pickup.:)

ajgreeny
June 5th, 2010, 10:54 PM
All of the above!

dragos240
June 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
The same way I learn most things. By doing. Most things I learned on my own. Some stuff was googled, and the rest is thanks to this forum.

wilee-nilee
June 5th, 2010, 11:01 PM

That was my method as well and I started with Ubuntu dapper as my first exposure to computers. The first 6 months had to re-image the darn thing 3 times. :)

But I have found that starting with a open source pseudo understanding, made it really easy to understand MS. I wasn't terrified of the CLI to start with and knew I could at the least reload the OS in the end if needed. The only problem I have with MS is the key verification process, I purchased a upgrade from XP to W7 that has to be a fresh install and if the install doesn't see a MS system the key is null and void, unless you use a crack or call MS to help you, or if your lucky you will get the auto-phone activation prompt when the key doesn't work.

sports fan Matt
June 5th, 2010, 11:02 PM
By asking a lot of questions and by just being patient..I knew if I had the time to put into it, i'd learn.

TwoEars
June 5th, 2010, 11:04 PM
man is a great command. Learn to use it, and you don't need to google anything. ;)

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I was kinda forced into it. I bought a computer from my old school, and it came with Ubuntu. I then used the manual in conjunction with Google, and eventually switched it to XP. Years later, when I got a laptop with Vista on it, I decided to switch that to Ubuntu because I had become much more experienced with programming and used ds homebrew a bunch.

XubuRoxMySox
June 6th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Just by using it. Everything's pretty self-explanatory in the GUI so I rarely needed the terminal. But I'm glad I started learning the terminal a little, it's an awesome secret weapon!

And I Googled alot - which led me here to these wonderful forums!

Still learning,
Robin

Spr0k3t
June 6th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I learned by submersion. I removed all elements of all other computer systems around me and forced myself to run only Linux based operating systems. After many flavors of distros, the one I kept coming back to was Ubuntu.

Side note: Ubuntu is my primary... I use Fedora, Puppy, and Arch for other systems.

KdotJ
June 6th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I learnt (or I should say am learning) how to use ubuntu by getting my hands dirty... trying stuff, breaking stuff, reinstalling the whole thing.. lol
Google often gives what I need, but this forum is a goldmine..

Linye
June 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Like I always say to some one asking. "Google that ****"

mamamia88
June 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM
google and trial and error.

proggy
June 6th, 2010, 03:47 AM
The same way I learn most things. By doing. Most things I learned on my own. Some stuff was googled, and the rest is thanks to this forum.
Like him googled but google would always bring me to this forum , so i stopped using google and used the forum instead.

undecim
June 6th, 2010, 04:53 AM
There should be an option that says "breaking things and then fixing them"

Although that generally entails google and the manual

steveneddy
June 6th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I used the OS and frequented UF in the beginning.

chessnerd
June 6th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Google, this forum, books (Linux for Dummies FTW!), and trial-and-error.

In order of helpfulness:

1. Trial-and-error - Failure and success are both strong teachers. Failure teaches most classes, but if you can get a class with Success I hear she is just amazing!
2. Books - Seriously, reading a physical book written by an expert is always helpful. I read almost all of Linux for Dummies (7th Edition) and a fair amount from the Official Ubuntu Book (1st edition). Both of them I checked out from my local library. They're a few years old, sure, but the information is still applicable.
3. This forum - The people hear have taught me a lot about using Ubuntu and FOSS in general. When I've had a problem they generally go a long way towards helping me fix it.
4. Google - Google generally points me back here. When it doesn't, the information is okay, but not as good...

lisati
June 6th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Trying stuff, pressing "F1" for help (that should be taught in class more), reading the "fine" manuals, breaking stuff, searching the forums, fixing stuff, browsing the forums, trying something new....

If it wasn't for Ubuntu, these forums, and the Ubuntu wiki (http://help.ubuntu.com), together with a little bit of googling, I probably wouldn't have a machine at home hosting a web server and an email server. I might not have realized so quickly (after having it four years!) that it was a single-core 64-bit-capable machine. :)

Frogs Hair
June 6th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Started with the links in Absolute Beginner Talk and then found " How to install anything on Ubuntu ". A day latter I found the FOSSwire pdf " Ubuntu Reference " that includes basic commands .

NightwishFan
June 6th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Once I learned about man pages I was set.

betrunkenaffe
June 6th, 2010, 06:02 PM
i learned by screwing up my computer more times than i could imagine.

+1

libssd
June 6th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Hi All,

I'd like to know how you first learned to use Ubuntu (depending on your skill level with GNU/Linux, that could mean a lot of things)...

...but how did you get to where you are today? Forums? Googling? Going Solo? Or Some Formal Training? I'd like to know :-)

I
I can think of no better starting point than Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference (http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html), by Keir Thomas, which is the best organized, clearest, and cheapest (free PDF download) guide available. Thomas writes well, and the guide is well structured, neither of which can be said for many of the available publications. In particular, Thomas provides the clearest partition and installation intructions for a machine that already has Windows installed, which was a source of some anxiety for me (partition/installation turned out to be very straightforward). This book isn't a programmer's reference, but it covers a lot of ground, and is comprehensible.

Once you get the basics under control, the Ubuntu forums and Google are probably your best friends, although there are many other Ubuntu/Linux forums out there. In my case, I've been working with various flavors of Unix since 1994, and everything is self-taught.

libssd
June 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Unfortunately, that is often the most meaningful knowledge. Backups are golden; restores are priceless.

Barrucadu
June 6th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Why, RTFM and LTFG of course. I already knew many of the basic file management commands from exposure elsewhere.

scouser73
June 6th, 2010, 10:30 PM
As well as coming and asking questions in the forum, I used Google an awful lot of the time and I still do. I also bought a couple of books on Ubuntu and downloaded free e-books on Linux in general.

Shining Arcanine
June 6th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Hi All,

I

I learned how to use Ubuntu Linux by learning how to use Gentoo Linux. It is amazing the things that you learn to do when your OS puts you in charge of its own design.

Hman242
June 6th, 2010, 11:31 PM
There should be a "Learned on My Own" option.

old fert
June 7th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Just muddled thru. I finally accepted the fact that it is a fun hobby. Unfortunately, all my required work software runs on windows. NOTHING will run on linux. I could get by at home running only linux, but my wife hates it...so hello duel boot.

Ozitraveller
June 7th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Started with cmp then dos, mvs (mainframe), windows 286, 3.1.....Red Hat, Debian (potato, woody, sarge, ...), Ubuntu (Warty, ....) -------- growth + learning = life....

xpod
June 7th, 2010, 12:16 AM
There should be a "Learned on My Own" option.

I`m not so sure there should be.
Although not everyone starts out by asking loads of seemingly stupid questions like i did we`re surely all getting help from somebody else in some way, shape or form. It might be a guide or a Wiki entry or even just some answer on a forum somewhere but we`re all ultimately getting help from someone else.

Hman242
June 7th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I`m not so sure there should be.
Although not everyone starts out by asking loads of seemingly stupid questions like i did we`re surely all getting help from somebody else in some way, shape or form. It might be a guide or a Wiki entry or even just some answer on a forum somewhere but we`re all ultimately getting help from someone else.
Of all the problems I've had with Ubuntu, there were four I had help with. They were all small problems and were after I had already started using Ubuntu. I usually learn things on my own and Ubuntu is no exception.

xpod
June 7th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Of all the problems I've had with Ubuntu, there were four I had help with. They were all small problems and were after I had already started using Ubuntu. I usually learn things on my own and Ubuntu is no exception.

So you never did it on your own after all....;)
Whether it`s actual problems that need fixing or just basic configuring etc we all read the instruction of others somewhere along the line.
I wouldn`t say i had many actual problems myself on starting out with Ubuntu, other than my own complete ignorance of most things computer related. That`s always going to be a factor though when you`ve only been using the things for a few months before stumbling across completely new OS`s.

mickie.kext
June 7th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I read the fine manual, of course.

doninsa
June 7th, 2010, 01:11 AM
My IT manager gave me a CD with Hardy Heron, Ubuntu 8.04 and said you might like to try this. It installed without a problem and I was off and running.

Now using Lucid Lynx and understanding a little more about linux. I'm an old DOS user so the terminal is second nature to me.

23dornot23d
June 7th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Ubuntu how did I learn it
Basically a copy of Debian and to start with ..... ahah haha= I remember now .....

I was using kanotix .... and wondered what would happen if I added a few repositories
for other systems to it ...... and among them was UBUNTU ....

I was surprised it worked exceedingly well ..... got KDE4 running in it and Enlightenment
using the Ubuntu repositories as well as others ...... KANOTIX+E17 (http://adventuresuk.spaces.live.com/blog/cns%219B2E76C5F75DF8EC%212564.entry)

So to cut to the chase ...... I liked the fact UBUNTU worked with KANOTIX which at the time was my fav distro .....
but they pretty much stopped developing KANOTIX ........ and there was a wealth of programs in the UBUNTU repositories .... which I got used to using ....

So I tried UBUNTU and liked it ...... have been with it right up to now ,,,,, I still have no idea how it all works ........ but its been great fun trying all the different things out ,,,,

So you could say I have not fully learned Ubuntu .... but I am constantly trying to understand it and
Linux and the numerous packages available on it ........

What was the question again ......... :guitar: and the music played on ........

Oh yep the answer ...... I googled a lot ........

Hman242
June 7th, 2010, 02:37 AM
So you never did it on your own after all....;)
Whether it`s actual problems that need fixing or just basic configuring etc we all read the instruction of others somewhere along the line.
I wouldn`t say i had many actual problems myself on starting out with Ubuntu, other than my own complete ignorance of most things computer related. That`s always going to be a factor though when you`ve only been using the things for a few months before stumbling across completely new OS`s.
The OP asked how we learned to use Ubuntu, which I did on my own.

witeshark17
June 7th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I just simply learned it. After trying another distro or 2, it wasn't hard... :popcorn:

seenthelite
June 7th, 2010, 04:16 AM

+1

It surprises me to see that some think you need to be a linux guru to use Ubuntu.

aklo
June 7th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Learn how to use?

Not sure what that means like the inner workings of the kernel or something?
That till now I have no idea.

If you mean getting used to Ubuntu, thats easy. I'm about 7th month into using Ubuntu full time.

Not much learning needed...I started with karmic koala and everything just work for me...so it is like windows...install and use. Same with Lucid Lynx.

Only problems I had was files with rpm, tar.gz but that was the past .Now I rarely have to do anything my own since the softwares I needed can be found in Software center and I don't use beta software that you have to compile yourself...which i have no idea how to do it too.

I'm just an average user who enjoy the speed of a Linux operating system and the Desktop environment of Gnome...so trying to hack the kernel or something is not my cup of tea.

Frogs Hair
June 7th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Once I learned about man pages I was set.

This also

aviedw
June 7th, 2010, 04:31 AM
This is an interesting thread. I would have to say i googled a whole lot. This forum did help quite a bit but i haven't been with Ubuntu for that long. I would say about 2 years running now. My first Linux OS was Mandrake. I cant even count how many times i crashed/partitioned hard drives and installed linux. Truthfully i learned more from using it and making mistakes than reading documentations. It was a pretty steep learning curve for me but im honestly glad that i stuck with it. I am now 2 years running windows free.

CharlesA
June 7th, 2010, 04:33 AM
For me, I googled alot. If I couldn't find the answer I would post here.

Oh, and man pages are very helpful. :)

KingYaba
June 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Mostly Google. And on some occasions I would ask people on a bunch of image boards for a quick answer.

NightwishFan
June 7th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I learned the most from posting here. I always tried to respond to anyone who does not have an answer even if I do not know much. Puzzling through a lot of that helping me learn a lot hands on.

luceerose
June 7th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I had many years of computer building & experience in dos, basic, html & pretty advanced windows before I tried Linux.
I started with Debian Sarge 3.1 & Ubuntu Hoary from a computer magazine.
& I've been stuffing around with basically all Debian based distros I could get my hands on ever since.
I now exclusively use Lucid, Maverick & Debian Sid.
I've been completely Microsoft-free since Hardy & of course I had already been using firefox & openoffice for years under windows.
I love gnome so much i'll never use anything else.
I've grown so accustomed to being able to put things where I want in Gnome that when I get on someone else's Windows computer, it takes me ages to find things.