PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear a watch?

matty-guy
June 5th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Title says it all.

If you do, could you name the watch and perhaps post a picture?

I wear a Casio G-Shock.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fj8of39gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

wojox
June 5th, 2010, 07:55 PM
No, time is not important to me.

kamaboko
June 5th, 2010, 07:59 PM
haven't worn a watch in about seven years.

donkyhotay
June 5th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Yes I do, shouldn't this have a poll or something to it?

matty-guy
June 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Yes I do, shouldn't this have a poll or something to it?

Done. :)

yabbadabbadont
June 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Since I don't own a cell phone (and don't plan to), I wear a watch when I go out.

pizza-is-good
June 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Can't live without it.... :lolflag:

red_Marvin
June 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I haven't for a couple of years now because of it being in the way when using a keyboard, and I always carry a cellphone or a laptop or both...
Previously I've worn a GUL Dunk/Kaoz42 digital watch of which I am unable to find any trace of on the net.
I might start wearing a watch again if I can find a nice 24h analogue one...

divague
June 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I wear a Skagen Titanium

Phrea
June 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM
no, time is not important to me.

+1

fatality_uk
June 5th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I have Three. 18 year old Sekonda, FAKE Rolex Daytona, 3 year old Accurist and I am also looking into buying a full hunter, something along these lines:
http://www.saddler.co.uk/prodpics/ready/d/dalvey_full_hunter_pocket_watch_large.jpg

John Bean
June 5th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Not enough options. I rarely take mine off except to wash; I certainly don't remove it at night.

oldfred
June 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Time is everywhere. even before cell phones. Its on the computer, its on the wall, its on the microwave, I do not need it on my wrist.

I used to like a pocket watch but that may be more related to my generation.

OOPS
Correction - I wear a Timex when I run (if you call it running at my pace). Just to track pace.

matty-guy
June 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I have Three. 18 year old Sekonda, Rolex Daytona, 3 year old Accurist and I am also looking into buying a full hunter, something along these lines:
http://www.saddler.co.uk/prodpics/ready/d/dalvey_full_hunter_pocket_watch_large.jpg

Wish I could afford a Rolex. I'd love a Rolex Deepsea, or an Omega Seamaster. And that pocket watch looks really nice.

fatality_uk
June 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Wish I could afford a Rolex. I'd love a Rolex Deepsea, or an Omega Seamaster. And that pocket watch looks really nice.

Wish I could mate. Fake I am afraid. A good one but fake none the less :) Well I hope so. A director at a company I used to work for, had a real one which I swapped with him for two minutes. I DO hope I gave him the right one back!!!

Sporkman
June 5th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Small cellphones + computer desktops have made wristwatches obsolete IMO.

RiceMonster
June 5th, 2010, 08:58 PM
No, I find them uncomfortable. My cellphone tells me the time.

Giant Speck
June 5th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I feel naked without a watch on.

McRat
June 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I found out 30 years ago that I don't have to wear a watch, as long as YOU wear a watch.

Thanks out to the 1,000,000 people out there I asked for the time.
:guitar:

I just recently started carrying a cellphone. About 4 months ago. Last watch I had was a Casio Calculator watch when they first came out.

LinuxIreland
June 5th, 2010, 09:04 PM
No, but I watch what I wear :-D

Warpnow
June 5th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I carry a silver pocket watch which was a gift. Don't know much about it other than that. It has my initials engraved on the front.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 5th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I wear a watch.

I am in meetings a lot of the time while at work. I need to check the time so I know when I must get to the next meeting. I could use my cell phone to check the time; however, where I work, cell phones, pagers, and netbooks or laptops are frowned upon in meetings. It is distracting when you are in a meeting, and someone's pager or cell phone starts playing that hideous ring tone or starts buzzing. :)

It may seem strange; however, it is less distracting when my secretary walks into the room and hands me a note telling me that someone important needs to talk to me.

:rolleyes:Don't tell anyone! Having a secretary hand you a note is also an exhibition of power and politics. :rolleyes:

Sporkman
June 5th, 2010, 09:23 PM
:rolleyes:Don't tell anyone! Having a secretary hand you a note is also an exhibition of power and politics. :rolleyes:

In "The Office", Micheal Scott has the secretary come in periodically to hand him "important messages" during meetings - usually funny doodles or scribbles. He usually responds with "tell him I'll call him back later", or "Yeah right, like that's going to happen - tell him 'no way!'".

matty-guy
June 5th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I wear a watch.

I am in meetings a lot of the time while at work. I need to check the time so I know when I must get to the next meeting. I could use my cell phone to check the time; however, where I work, cell phones, pagers, and netbooks or laptops are frowned upon in meetings. It is distracting when you are in a meeting, and someone's pager or cell phone starts playing that hideous ring tone or starts buzzing. :)

It may seem strange; however, it is less distracting when my secretary walks into the room and hands me a note telling me that someone important needs to talk to me.

I can understand why people would say I have a cell phone, don't need a watch, but there is no substitute for having a nice looking watch. It can gain someone a lot of respect if its a nice watch.

Barrucadu
June 5th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I don't wear a wristwatch, however I carry a pocket watch whenever I leave my house.

tgalati4
June 5th, 2010, 09:33 PM
My server runs ntp with second-order corrections. It's accurate to 0.001 seconds.

My 1970 Breitling Navitimer gains 4 seconds a day. It's within the definition of a chronometer (-4 to + 6 seconds per day). Pictures are coming, they not on this computer. They are not even digital.

Guess which one I'm wearing to a beach party today?

But no, normally I don't where a watch.

For you horologists, ntp clock accuracy attached:

RiceMonster
June 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I can understand why people would say I have a cell phone, don't need a watch, but there is no substitute for having a nice looking watch. It can gain someone a lot of respect if its a nice watch.

Silly. Why would you respect someone because they're wearing a watch?

"Hey that person's got a really cool watch on. I REALLY want to be their friend!"

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM
In "The Office", Micheal Scott has the secretary come in periodically to hand him "important messages" during meetings - usually funny doodles or scribbles. He usually responds with "tell him I'll call him back later", or "Yeah right, like that's going to happen - tell him 'no way!'".

^

:lolflag:

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 5th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Silly. Why would you respect someone because they're wearing a watch?

"Hey that person's got a really cool watch on. I REALLY want to be their friend!"

Don't say that to loud around people that buy iPads, iPods, iPhones, etc. :)

I think we had better get back on topic before this thread gets closed.

coolbrook
June 5th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Title says it all.

I wear a Casio G-Shock.
^ On sale at Zellers this week.

I feel naked without a watch. I have two. An old 'Indiglo' Timex Ironman, and I'm wearing a Mio Stride (http://www.miowatch.com/mio-stride) at the moment.

WinterRain
June 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I CAN'T STAND WATCHES! Having something on my wrist bugs the heck out of me. If I need to know what time it is, I can check my cell phone.

WinterRain
June 5th, 2010, 10:08 PM

Are you serious? That's probably true for the plastic, pretentious people in the world, but this old hippie don't play that game.

tom66
June 5th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Yes, I wear it all the time. It's a Casio of some kind...

matty-guy
June 5th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Are you serious? That's probably true for the plastic, pretentious people in the world, but this old hippie don't play that game.

I was talking about these kind of people. I'd never buy a watch to make other people look at me, just so we're clear. I just meant that some businessmen view this sort of stuff pretty highly, and with it being the only kind of 'jewellery' most men wear, a lot of them want to make it give others a good impression.

Zlatan
June 5th, 2010, 10:31 PM
a nice swatch (http://www.kerrypauljewellers.com/acatalog/YGS-737-L.jpg), thank you for asking:)

Title says it all.

I wear a Casio G-Shock.

gletob
June 5th, 2010, 10:34 PM
No I stopped when I got a cell phone. When I did wear a watch I wore it on my left wrist, and only took it off to shower.(occasionally i'd forget and leave it on until I started to was my arm)

koenn
June 5th, 2010, 10:55 PM
haven't had a watch for over 30 years.

Timmer1240
June 5th, 2010, 10:59 PM
No I have the uncanny ability to just about know within ten or 15 minutes of what the actual time is with out a watch dont ask me how I just guess and usually Im real close!Anyways I always hated watches!

Timmer1240
June 5th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Whatever someone wears for a watch dont mean Jack Sh** to me doesnt impress me!Its whats inside that counts not the watch!Ive meant a lot of arrogant assholes that wore a Rolex and it still didnt cover up the fact that they were pricks!

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 11:06 PM
You mean I'm supposed to take it off at night?

koenn
June 5th, 2010, 11:07 PM
No I have the uncanny ability to just about know within ten or 15 minutes of what the actual time is with out a watch dont ask me how I just guess and usually Im real close!Anyways I always hated watches!
yeah, i do that to.
But I don't find it uncanny. It's probably a combination of noticing how the light changes during the course of the day, and the ability to pretty accurately guess how much time passed since the last time you checked time at your computer, your alarm clock, or a public clock somewhere.

gnomeuser
June 5th, 2010, 11:15 PM
No, I am part of the evolved race that discovered science. I have a smartphone, it gives me the internet, my email, my music, my podcasts and yes.. time.

I really don't care to wear a watch, they feel uncomfortable to me especially over long periods of time. I'm also certainly not going to wear a watch to gain respect, a person who will respect me solely for wearing a watch, however expensive or fashionable, I honestly don't want in my life.

oldos2er
June 5th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I feel naked without a watch.

Yeah. I feel even nakeder without a pocketknife.

Dobbie03
June 5th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Yes, I wear my very nice stainless steel Seiko watch. It cost me a small fortune but it was worth it.

coolbrook
June 5th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I have two. An old 'Indiglo' Timex Ironman, and I'm wearing a Mio Stride (http://www.miowatch.com/mio-stride) at the moment.

Make that three. I have a Nautica watch too. A few years old, and a silvery type thing for dress up occasions.

Sporkman
June 5th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Yeah. I feel even nakeder without a pocketknife.

I feel naked without my shirt & pants.

WinterRain
June 5th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Yes, I wear my very nice stainless steel Seiko watch. It cost me a small fortune but it was worth it.

How is spending a small fortune just to tell time, worth it?

coolbrook
June 5th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I read studies in the past that have shown that people, women in particular, are attracted to those who are not only wearing watches, but are observed checking the time on a regular basis. I'm not sure about the level of consciousness but people seen checking the time are believed to be valuing their time, having something else to do or something planned. A busy as opposed to idle person... Ironically (and seemingly) with less time on their hands.

I don't know a whole lot about HR and hiring but I'm pretty sure I've heard that interviewers do sneak a peek for a watch on the interviewee. That's a practice that I would consider as well.

djinnkeeper
June 5th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Follow-up question.. if you do wear a watch, do you wear it right-side up or up-side down? I wore a watch when I was a teenager and always wore it up-side down.. I stopped doing that (and actually stopped wearing watches altogether) after I broke a Casio, drunkenly attempting to dunk a basketball. The dunk was a success, but the watch was destroyed virtually beyond recognition. oh.. and I scraped up my wrist when the band snapped.. pretty cool, eh?

I cite the same reasons as everyone else for no longer needing one, but I have to wonder if the folks who find wristwatches cumbersome to their keyboarding, simply need to adjust their posture and/or wrist placement. (If your hands are touching the desk while you're typing, you're doing it wrong) Maybe your watch is just too big!

wilee-nilee
June 5th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Sometimes the only thing I'm wearing is a watch. ;)

consindo
June 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I wear a watch. A baby-g and I sometimes forget to put it on :)

Berk
June 6th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I've got a kahuna of some sort.
I wear a watch for one reason mainly. It's a damned sight faster flicking my wrist into view than reaching into my pocket, grabbing my phone and pressing a button to display the time, it also serves when in situations where phones are frowned upon, libraries, lectures, at work etc.

chriswyatt
June 6th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I feel naked without a watch on.

My dog looks naked without his collar on :P.

I personally feel completely lost without my watch on.

A lot of people use their phones for the time, I'm surprised, I'd find that too much hassle myself, also I wear jeans so it's hassle getting anything in and out of my pockets.

Also I'm one of these people who tries to make an appointment on time, I say try because I sometimes fail. I check how long it takes me to get to a place by checking my watch, then I make sure I leave at just the right time and most of the time end up being less than a minute late if not early. I would just feel anxious without my watch, I check it so often.

Frogs Hair
June 6th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I ware a Colman outdoor watch mainly for fishing and long bike rides.

XubuRoxMySox
June 6th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I'm a dancer and no dancer I know ever wears one. When I got one for my birthday and wore it in class it made my whole arm feel heavy... and it leaves a yucky-looking tan line on your wrist when you've been outside with it on. And a watch can ruin a dance costume (it really only matters in competition, but still).

Timelessly,
Robin

standingwave
June 6th, 2010, 02:10 AM
When I used to wear a watch, it was always Luminox:
http://img.timezone.com/img/articles/news631963901539687500/luminox01.jpg
Owned several of them over the years, but since I usually have my cellphone with me, there's really no point.

louis--taylor
June 6th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I wear mine 24/7 - even in the shower!
http://www.ebay.watchwatchwatch.co.uk/watches/timex_14.jpg

NMFTM
June 6th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I would wear a watch. But I like the idea of things being self sufficient and I haven't been able to find any wind up or motion powered watches for under several hundred dollars. Cell phones should in theory negate the necessity to have a watch. But if your trying to keep close track of the time theirs no way to constantly be pulling your cell phone out of your pocket without looking like you have OCD. Whereas you can casually look at a watch without making it obvious.

I've never had a watch last me more than a year. But than again, I've never spent more than $25 on a watch either.

Spr0k3t
June 6th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I tell time by feel. Generally I'm only off by 5-10 minutes. When daylight scrapings hits... I can be off by three or four hours.

Help abolish daylight savings for all states! Make life a better place.

dragos240
June 6th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I don't see too many people with watches now-a-days. I just see cell phones. I just look at the clock nearest to me.

madjr
June 6th, 2010, 03:48 AM
watches have been victim of the cellphones and other devices

if you wear one today is because of:

like to showoff shiny stuff
because of tradition
Girlfriend/wife gave as gift so you're obligated to wear it
use one for swim/exercise (light and waterproof)
it's actually a disguised gadget with built in mp3/usb/etc.

my last watch was one of those cheap digital waterproof casios when i was a kid

Austin25
June 6th, 2010, 03:53 AM
watches have been victim of the cellphones and other devices

if you wear one today is because of:

like to showoff shiny stuff
because of tradition
Girlfriend/wife gave as gift so you're obligated to wear it
use one for swim/exercise (light and waterproof)
it's actually a disguised gadget with built in mp3/usb/etc.

my last watch was one of those cheap digital waterproof casios when i was a kid
I wear one simply because my wrist feels naked else-wise.
Also, to get my nds out and boot it up takes too long, and I often forget my phone at home or forget to charge it.

JDShu
June 6th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I use my phone these days too.

Back when I used to wear a watch I developed a terrible habit of looking at it all the time for no reason.

Friend: "Where do you want to eat?"
Me: Ummmm *looks at watch*

Or, like Carlin mentioned, I would look at the watch, not know what time it was, look at the watch again, and still not know the time.

cprofitt
June 6th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I used to wear a watch every day -- but with carrying two cell phones and a pager I really do not need one to tell the time anymore.

Austin25
June 6th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I kind of want one of them old pocket watches you know?
Dang, I am getting tired enough to be comparable to being drunk.
I hope I don't get an infraction tonight.

kmsalex
June 6th, 2010, 06:58 AM
i ware one, but only if i leave the house, oddly i ware mine on my right rist even though I'm a righty.
http://s.kmart.com/is/image/Sears/026W190697110001?hei=248&wid=248&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

nerdtron
June 6th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I can't believe many don't wear a watch! I have a phone but i don't use it as watch.

I ONLY REMOVE IT WHEN I TAKE A BATH!
I can't leave the house without it. I think i'm a bit OCD about time, i look at my watch more than 5 times per hour.

juancarlospaco
June 6th, 2010, 07:28 AM
FYI its good to use a watch on Job Interviews...

chessnerd
June 6th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Definitely. When I don't have it on my wrist feels naked.

I don't understand why people accept cell phones as time keeping devices. A watch is much more convenient. With a cell phone you need to reach into your pocket, pull the thing out, then either press a button or open it just to see the time. With a watch, all you have to do is turn your wrist and look.

My watch is an Armitron WR165 digital sports watch. Water resistant and light-weight. I never use an old-fashioned watch with hands. I always set my watch to 24-hour (military) time and you can't do that with a traditional clock-type interface...

Zlatan
September 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
changed my classic swatch to a solar-radio-gshock (http://mygshock.com/wiki/g-shocks/AWG-101-1AJF-gshock-photo.jpg), love it:)

andrek
September 10th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I usually wear it when I'm going out, but that still depends on my mood. ;)

limestone
September 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I haven't worn a watch since I was little..
I have my cell so why do I need 2 watches?

Grenage
September 10th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I used to, but found that having the time to hand stopped me from having decent perception of time. For example, if asked what the time was, without looking at my watch, I could be incorrect by hours.

Without the watch, I'm normally correct within 10 minutes.

scottuss
September 10th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I've found that most geeks don't wear watches. I guess they use their mobile phone or other gadget.

nerdtron
September 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I've found that most geeks don't wear watches. I guess they use their mobile phone or other gadget.

Yeah...But I can't understand why they don't want to wear a wrist watch. For me, it is really a necessity to know the time in just a quick look. This helps me better manage my time in school.

sikander3786
September 10th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Cell phone helped me get rid of my wrist watch.

Spice Weasel
September 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Nah, I forget enough as it is. :p

m4tic
September 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I have a rolexhttp://www.melrosejewelers.com/product_image/full_image/Mens_Stainless_Ste-4090-1.jpg

Grenage
September 10th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I have a rolexhttp://www.melrosejewelers.com/product_image/full_image/Mens_Stainless_Ste-4090-1.jpg

Well done :rolleyes:

mips
September 10th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Nope, even though I own a pretty nice watch.

wkhasintha
September 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Yes. Even though i own a lousy watch. :P
It's lot quicker than peeking at the phone. :P

Denis Krajnc
September 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I wear watch.

KegHead
September 10th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Hi!

See attached.

KegHead

msandoy
September 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Nice one KegHead.
If I don't have it on my hand, I would not get anything done. I would be too busy looking for it. A proper analog watch is like a piece of art. Mine came with a 80 page instruction manual, and it can do volume conversion, multiplication, division, square root and alot more. And I don't have to charge it every night.
http://www.skywatches.com.sg/watches/product_info.php?products_id=112

Deathmanlp
September 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM
No since I have a cell

Rasa1111
September 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
No, time is not important to me.

+2

Cheers mate.

BrokenKingpin
September 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Yes, but I do not put it on in the morning, because I never take it off.

TNT1
September 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I stopped wearing a watch when I started riding the bike daily... Oddly that was around the same time I switched to exclusively linux.

I do wear a watch (HRM) when training on the bike (bicycle this time, not the motard I ride daily for transport...)

forrestcupp
September 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
No. They're uncomfortable, and I don't like the white band on my arm when I get a tan/sunburn.

I used to carry a pocket watch, but now if I need to know the time, I just get my phone out.

jshepherd
September 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Yes a Casio G shock for daily wear. Actually lots of watches for different occasions if I'm wearing a suit for instance. I feel lost without a watch.

Rasa1111
September 10th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Yes a Casio G shock for daily wear. Actually lots of watches for different occasions if I'm wearing a suit for instance. I feel lost without a watch.

:lol:
wait until you find out that time doesn't even exist..
then you'll feel really lost! (or found) lol :P

KegHead
September 10th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Hi!

I just remembered a song by Chicago.

"Does anyone really know what time it is?"

KegHead

mcduck
September 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Yes, I wear a watch. Although unlike the poll option, I don't put it on in the morning, I have plenty of things to check the time from at home.

It's just a not-too-expensive, but very light & comfortable titanium chronograph. Solar powered so it'll never run out of battery, and solid enough that I can happily carry it with me whatever I do. It survived though the army without a scratch, so I suppose it'll survive pretty much anything else I do as well. Expect sauna, perhaps (or more likely my wrist wouldn't survive that :D).

On the other hand what I don't do is carry my cell phone with me all the time. I see no reason why people should be able to contact me at any time, that would be really annoying. I'll just cal them back if I see that somebody as tried to contact me while didn't have the phone with me.

Rasa1111
September 10th, 2010, 07:34 PM
On the other hand what I don't do is carry my cell phone with me all the time. I see no reason why people should be able to contact me at any time, that would be really annoying

Im with ya there.
my phone stays home more than it goes with me. lol
and then i usually just use it for texting,
can't stand talking on phones. lol

but you know.. everyone is "soo important" that they feel they need to be able to be reached anytime anywhere..
might 'miss out on something'! lol :@@:

chriswyatt
September 10th, 2010, 09:29 PM
This is my watch:

Casio WVA-108HU
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/chriswyattuk/thumbnail.jpg

It's a great little watch, was happy with my choice. Stylish and a little big geeky. :)

When I got it I enjoyed setting the time and watching the hands whizz around by themselves, simple pleasures.

Only gripe is that it has the American date format and there's no way to change it. Also its quite scratched up now :(, anyone know if it would be easy to get the glass bit at the front replaced? I sometimes seem to get paint on the front where I've scratched it on a wall, and I can never remember doing it.

Anyway I'd feel lost without my watch, I almost never take it off.

KegHead
September 10th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hi!

To replace the crystal you could buy a new watch.

Try toothpaste with a soft used toothbrush.

KegHead

KegHead
September 10th, 2010, 09:42 PM
oops!

"Does anyone really care?"

KegHead

chriswyatt
September 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Hi!

To replace the crystal you could buy a new watch.

Try toothpaste with a soft used toothbrush.

KegHead

Ooh, OK. I did try toothpaste and a cotton bud not too long ago, but there are a couple of quite deep scratches. It's a shame it doesn't sound like it's easy to replace. I might take it to a jeweller's some time for advice.

Toothpaste and a cotton bud works wonders though for faint scratches :). I've done it to loads of my stuff.

eddier
September 10th, 2010, 11:28 PM
No,I dont have time!

eddie

lisati
September 10th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I don't bother when I'm at home - there's a clock on the wall, as well as the computers, DVR, etc. Before Mrs Lisati bought me a watch to replace assorted broken watches I had lying around in assorted boxes, I used my cellphone when out.

witeshark17
September 11th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I do, like some have posted, it's easier to see than getting my phone out of my pocket.

Twintop
September 11th, 2010, 05:37 AM
You bet I wear a watch...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/frontsquare/ledbinarywatch-blue2.jpg

Via ThinkGeek (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17/), 3 years ago. I'm on my second band and battery. :)

kreagon1
September 11th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I never wear a watch, I tend to look at my cell phone if I need to know the time.

Off Topic
September 11th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Since I don't own a cell phone (and don't plan to), I wear a watch when I go out.

I stopped buying watches when I started carrying a cell phone. I stopped breaking and losing watches on construction sites at the same time.

HappinessNow
September 11th, 2010, 06:56 AM
No,...that is another cool feature of my Nexus One is that is also tells time. You might say that a Nexus One is a great pocket watch on top of being a great Samrtphone/pocket computer. :p

ronnielsen1
September 11th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I stopped buying watches when I started carrying a cell phone. I stopped breaking and losing watches on construction sites at the same time.

Yeah, never could wear a watch. Timex takes a licking and stops ticking

nixor01
September 11th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Nice watches :D

wkhasintha
September 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
You bet I wear a watch...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/frontsquare/ledbinarywatch-blue2.jpg

Via ThinkGeek (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17/), 3 years ago. I'm on my second band and battery. :)

lol Awesome.

Duncan J Murray
September 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Title says it all.

I wear a Casio G-Shock.

Ha ha, was surprised to see the watch currently sitting on my left wrist!

Duncan.

P.S. Really like this watch because it's one of the few one's I've seen that has a dual analog/digital display which is connected.

TriBlox6432
September 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Yes, daily. But I don't put it on as soon as I get up. I take a shower and get dressed first. Watch is the last thing before my shoes that go one.

apmcd47
September 11th, 2010, 11:35 PM
My watch is an Armitron WR165 digital sports watch. Water resistant and light-weight. I never use an old-fashioned watch with hands. I always set my watch to 24-hour (military) time and you can't do that with a traditional clock-type interface...

No, of course not! (http://www.fhinds.co.uk/Watches/Watches_By_Brand/D&G/DandG-719770194-Unique-Watch-236194.html)

PSioNiC STRaNGLeR
September 12th, 2010, 12:01 AM
yep... i wear a Victorinox Swiss Army watch-works like a charm

ubunterooster
September 12th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I did before I got my Incredible three days ago. Now I do not; no need.

witeshark17
September 12th, 2010, 02:49 AM
[QUOTE=Twintop;9831835]You bet I wear a watch...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/frontsquare/ledbinarywatch-blue2.jpg cool, heh and I read it correctly too ):P

su-37
September 12th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I wear a TK colouring Mechanical watch.

chessnerd
September 12th, 2010, 06:37 AM
No, of course not! (http://www.fhinds.co.uk/Watches/Watches_By_Brand/D&G/DandG-719770194-Unique-Watch-236194.html)
While it is true that they do make 24-hour watches and clocks with hands they are -

A. Uncommon to the point that I have never seen one in person, only in pictures, and only in pictures online.
B. More expensive than a conventional watch. The one in that link would be nearly $270 (US) not including shipping. I would be willing to bet you could find some around $50, but I would be shocked if you found one for under $20 (I paid about $20 for my current watch).
C. Not technically "setable" to 24-hour time. A conventional watch is either 12-hour or 24-hour. It cannot change.

I'm surprised to see this thread back. I thought my last comment killed it. Also, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who wears a watch. However, this sample is hardly indicative of your "average person."

Famicube64
September 12th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I sure do. I've had this one for six years now.

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!

inobe
September 12th, 2010, 07:09 AM
i had to wear a watch six months out of my 38 years, that job sucked.

edit: an atomic clock would be cool to have, or even a quantum clock.

yahoo
September 12th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Haven't worn a watch in 40 years. I do carry one in my pocket though - only lost two :)

markp1989
September 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I haven't worn a watch since i left high school, wasn't meant to have mobile phones in school, most had them, but we couldn't use them to check the time.

since then I haven't worn a watch, as i always have a mobile with me.

ebasa
September 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Only when I am working, how else would I know it is break time?

MatrixCrypt
September 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I used it back in high school, not anymore though.

Duncan J Murray
September 18th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Found my next purchase - the world's first atomic wrist-watch!!

http://leapsecond.com/pages/atomic-bill/

Duncan.

ve4cib
September 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
My watch is a St Moritz Momentum M1 diving watch. The strap on mine is different (I replaced it with a cloth/velcro one that's generally more comfortable), but the face looks like this one here (http://www.momentumwatch.com/media/images-models/1M-DV00B0.jpg).

Sometimes I'll wear my watch, other times I won't. It really varies. I tend to wear it more in the winter, since my wrist tends to get really hot and sweaty during the summer if I wear a watch.

The odd thing about my watch is that I always leave it set to UTC+0 (or zulu time, or GMT, or whatever term you want to use for that particular time zone), despite living in a different time zone. Daylight savings time starts/ends, I just change my mental arithmetic to know the local time. Same thing when traveling.

EDIT: Sometime I'd really like to buy one of these (http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html). My inner dieselpunk is all over the nixie tubes. If only they didn't seem to be perpetually out-of-stock... :(

camorri
September 18th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I drive a school bus, no clock on board. It is also a piece of jewelery.