PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty or Lucid?

qwerty57
June 5th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I had Jaunty/WinXP on my Acer Aspire laptop. When Karmic came out I tried to upgrade and it was a total disaster! No sound and several other problems. After trying vainly to fix the problems, I reinstalled Jaunty in that partition and it worked flawlessly until my Acer was stolen a few days ago.

I now have a Compaq Presario CQ35 with Windows 7 on it. I am going to partition it and install Ubuntu on one half and leave the Win7 OS on the other half. My question is which version of Ubuntu should I use? I still have my old Jaunty installation disc and I have a lot of confidence that that it will work without any problems. However, it is an older OS. Were the bugs worked out of Karmic? I Lucid a reliable system for Laptops?

I would appreciate any advice before I plunge into installation.:)

snowpine
June 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I recommend trying a Live CD of Lucid to see if it supports your hardware.

Jaunty was a fine release, but it only has 4 months of support left. Lucid is a "long term support" release that will be supported through April 2013.

darkod
June 5th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I recommend trying a Live CD of Lucid to see if it supports your hardware.

Jaunty was a fine release, but it only has 4 months of support left. Lucid is a "long term support" release that will be supported through April 2013.

+1

If you earlier tried upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic, as you said, there is also the possibility that the upgrade went wrong somewhere, and it made it impossible to fix it for you. Maybe a Karmic clean install would act differently.

But anyway, now with Lucid here, try it in live mode first and it should show you any possible hardware issues. Depending how it works for you, you will decide what to do.