PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install KDE on top of Ubuntu or install Kubuntu?

fs_tigre
June 5th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hi,

I have been using Ubuntu with Gnome but last night I installed KDE and I really like it but I was wondering if there was an issue by having the two installed.

Would that be better to uninstall Ubuntu and just install Kubuntu? If yes, will I see any difference?

Whats better to have Kubuntu and Ubuntu separately installed or it doesn't make a difference?

Thanks a lot!

tommcd
June 5th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I have been using Ubuntu with Gnome but last night I installed KDE and I really like it but I was wondering if there was an issue by having the two installed.
There should not be any conflicts between the Gnome gtk libraries and the KDE Qt libraries.

Would that be better to uninstall Ubuntu and just install Kubuntu? If yes, will I see any difference?
Whats better to have Kubuntu and Ubuntu separately installed or it doesn't make a difference?

When you have both Gnome and KDE installed you have a lot of bloat on your system imo. Since Ubuntu/Kubuntu is bloated to begin with, you end up with a LOT of extra bloat.
This should not cause you any performance problems though. So, unless your root directory is short on space you should be fine.

fs_tigre
June 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Thank you very much for your reply.

Will I be able to access the same files from either one (my personal files, home directory etc)?

How can I actually install Kubuntu without Ubuntu? When I downloaded Ubuntu it didn't have an option for Kubuntu.

Thanks

drpjkurian
June 5th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hi
You can download Kubuntu Lucid as torrent and install it.

You can access the files as well as operate all the programmes in either of the desktop environment.

I am having both KDE and Gnome.

fs_tigre
June 6th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks a lot!

sXeChris
June 6th, 2010, 01:00 PM
You can get Kubuntu the same way you attained Ubuntu, ordering a disk, burning it, etc.

You won't find the option to download Kubuntu on an Ubuntu installation disk because it's something completely different.

wojox
June 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM
You can get Kubuntu the same way you attained Ubuntu, ordering a disk, burning it, etc.

You won't find the option to download Kubuntu on an Ubuntu installation disk because it's something completely different.

Actually download the Minimal CD and you can install it through there.

tommcd
June 6th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Actually download the Minimal CD and you can install it through there.
If you want a guide to using the minimal install CD, see this:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal
Note that a relatively fast internet connection is recommended for this, since you will need to apt-get all the software you will need.
Then to install KDE, just run:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
Note that this will give you the same system that you would have ended up with if you just installed from the Kubuntu live CD.
The advantage of the minimal install CD is that you can pick and choose exactly what you want. So you can end up with a customized system to suit your needs if you want to exclude packages (like pulseaudio perhaps!!) that you may never need or want.