PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing Lucid on Compaq 615

bigseb
June 5th, 2010, 12:19 PM
My wife has a Compaq 615 on which she wants me to install Lucid 32 bit. I have the install disk but it doesn't seem to want to install. What happens when I boot up from disk is it show the purple screen, asks me which language I want and then shows the list of options. If I choose 'try Ubuntu without installing' the screen goes black with a cursor blinking in the top left for a few seconds. About a minute later the disk drive stops spinning and nothing, it just hangs there. If I choose 'Install Ubuntu' then the same thing happens except this time the disk drive just keeps spinning (still without anything happening). With the other options I get the same result as if I had chosen 'Try Ubuntu without installing'. Her laptop does meet the minimum requirements (she has: AMD X2 2.1 GHz, ATI Radeon HD3200, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb hard disk.

I tried my x64 disks on her laptop and get the same result!! All these disks by the way work perfectly on my PC (and two friends who tried them out too) so I'm stumped. Why, oh why is it not installing Ubuntu 10.04 x86?

Please help!

bigseb
June 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Just discovered something interesting: my Karmic disks work 100%! This must be specific to Lucid then. Any ideas on how to fix as I'd much rather install Lucid than Karmic on her machine...

bigseb
June 6th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Bump

davidmohammed
June 6th, 2010, 10:16 AM
When pressing F6 edit the boot string so that it reads

nomodeset quiet splash --

if that doesnt work try

nomodeset xforcevesa quiet splash --

bigseb
June 7th, 2010, 06:37 PM
When pressing F6 edit the boot string so that it reads

nomodeset quiet splash --

if that doesnt work try

nomodeset xforcevesa quiet splash --

tried that... The first one doesn't work, the second option isn't there. Help!

davidmohammed
June 7th, 2010, 07:53 PM
hi there,
you'll notice at the bottom the actual boot string used. Edit that line. Don't use the "check box" options that have noapic, nomodeset etc.

bigseb
June 7th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Ok wait, I see now what you mean, I must type it in. Well I did that and still nothing. It just hangs :( Strangely, I tried the x64 disks and they work perfectly!?!

darkod
June 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM
How about F6 and using Safe Graphics?

bigseb
June 8th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Thanks. I'll try this as soon as I get a chance, prolly only tonight.

bigseb
June 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Just checked... where is safe graphics mode?? Or to be more precise which option is it? None of those listed are called safe graphics...

thor187
July 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I also have the same issue on boot up, I can not get to the start screen. I have the problem with Karmic, but when I loaded Kubuntu 9.10 it works no problem, but much prefer Ubuntu. I tried mounting the grub and editing that from Live CD, how do you go into safe graphics from the boot up???

a.kyppo
July 15th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I just bought Compaq 615. I was confused why it did'nt boot Ubuntu from live-cd. Then I added nolapic as a boot parameter in ubuntu boot setup and it worked. After installation I rebooted and it did'nt boot from hd. I added nolapic and nodmraid as boot parameters. Then I opened /usr/share/grub/default/grub(as superuser of course) and edited line 10 to look like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nolapic nodmraid"
Then I saved it. After it I ran update-grub in terminal and rebooted and it worked.

bigseb
July 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I just bought Compaq 615. I was confused why it did'nt boot Ubuntu from live-cd. Then I added nolapic as a boot parameter in ubuntu boot setup and it worked. After installation I rebooted and it did'nt boot from hd. I added nolapic and nodmraid as boot parameters. Then I opened /usr/share/grub/default/grub(as superuser of course) and edited line 10 to look like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nolapic nodmraid"
Then I saved it. After it I ran update-grub in terminal and rebooted and it worked.

Interesting. I solved the problem by installing 10.04 x64. That works like a charm, Weird, huh?