PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Linux Nerd are You?

chessnerd
June 5th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I decided to create a list of, what I believe to be, the main categories of Linux Nerdiness. What category do you fall under?

Note that this is not necessarily a hierarchy. Feel free to correct any errors that you see in this list...

Ranking of Linux Nerdiness

Linux Newcomer
- A newcomer to the land of Linux and the world of open-source software.
- OS of Choice: Ubuntu dual-booted with Windows
- Typical quote: “Sorry guys, I'm a real n00b, so bear with me. I have a problem with...”

Linux Abandoner
- Something has turned the Linux Abandoner away from Linux for whatever reason. This typically occurs within a month of using Linux for the first time. They don't generally end up hating Linux, but some do.
- OS of Choice: Windows or Mac OS X
- Typical quote: “Linux is NOT ready for the mainstream.”

Casual Linux User
- A Linux user who has chosen not to pursue Linux as their main OS, but who still uses it from time to time. They typically test the latest Ubuntu release.
- OS of Choice: Ubuntu dual-booted with Windows
- Typical quote: “I decided to stick with Windows because Linux doesn't have...”

Linux Commoner
- Having more experience than the Newcomer, the Linux Commoner is a typical Linux user. They are experienced in some areas of Linux because of their personal trials with system bugs. They may have some command-line skills and may try to help others on a Linux Forum with topics that they feel comfortable in.
- OS of Choice: Ubuntu
- Typical quote: “Yay! I run Linux!”

Linux Fanatic
- A Linux user who has seen the power of Linux and has decided that this power must be shared with the world. The Linux Fanatic works hard to bring Linux into the mainstream by offering LiveCDs to friends and installs to family members. Their fondest hope is to see Mark Shuttleworth's “Bug #1” finally fixed.
- OS of Choice: GUI-based Linux distro
- Typical quote: “******* sux! Use Linux!”

Linux Power-User
- A champion of Linux, and regular command-line user, the Linux Power-User does not focus on furthering the expansion of Linux into the mainstream, but instead works on their own system(s) and offers help to Linux Commoners and Newcomers on Linux Forums (which they may moderate).
- OS of Choice: Arch/Gentoo for desktop, Debian Stable for server
- Typical quote: “Arch offers total system control. If you want to wait endlessly for things to compile, try Gentoo.” or “Gentoo offers total system control. If you want to spend all your days messing with config files, try Arch.”

Priest of FOSS
- A member of the FOSS elite, who only uses libre software unless there is absolutely no alternative. The Priest of FOSS is a keeper of the traditions of the FSF and Saint IGNUtious. They wish to further the use of Free and Open-Source Software everywhere. They may encourage the use of GPL for all software, although most will tolerate any OSI-approved license.
- OS of Choice: Usually GNU/Linux, occasionally BSD
- Typical quote: “Not free as in price, free as in freedom...”

Master of *NIXdom
- The greatest of all *NIX users, Linux or otherwise. They are masters of the command-line interface and generally work as system administrators. Despite their meek physical stature, they are a force to be reckoned with and should be treated with respect. Excuse their limited understanding of human social nuances, they don't get out much...
- OS of Choice: UNIX or UNIX-like system (generally use CLI)
- Typical quote: “Trust me, the error is a standard 1D-10T PEBKAC error.”

--- My answer ---

I believe that I'm a Linux Commoner. I'm not a Fanatic or a Power-User, I'm definitely not a Priest of FOSS, and I am far from being a Master of *NIXdom. However, I have been using Linux for over a year now, so I don't think I'm a Newcomer anymore...

Ranko Kohime
June 5th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I'm a commoner... For now. :)

derekeverett
June 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I sure have been a Linux Abandoner, a few times actually!

Omnios
June 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM
He he is this nerdy enough for you.
http://witko.ca/image-shack/tux/linux-inside-blue.jpg
I use Ubuntu and own a small Tux Linux Artwork Swag Shop

ubun2warrior
June 5th, 2010, 01:39 PM
from the choices you give i will put myself into maybe.. linux fanatic becoz i keep distributing ubuntu cd's to friends. and also i am sort of a newbee here. But i am also learning linux so i am very enthusiatic about it . May be we can have another class
"Linux Enthusiasts".....

proggy
June 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Linux Commoner

karthick87
June 5th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Linux Commoner

wojox
June 5th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Linux Power-User. :P

fatality_uk
June 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I voted Master of *NIXdom
I fit the bill apart from stature

Timmer1240
June 5th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Im a linux newcomer Been using Ubuntu for 4 months now seems to be a lot less hassle than windows for me Im glad I made the switch I still got xp and windows 7 but for me I boot up Ubuntu 99.9 percent of the time!

beastrace91
June 5th, 2010, 02:04 PM
"Linux Fanatic" conveys such a negative tone to people I think... I prefer the term "Linux Advocate"

~Jeff

Phrea
June 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Linux Commoner.

I use Linux, and Linux only.
However, I see it as just a very useful OS, for me.
No fanaticism here, but a very happy user.

flukeairwalker
June 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Level 2 Human Sorcerer.

nerdtron
June 5th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Casual user for now since I'm into games but will surely dive in when my big brother buys me a laptop. :)
I wanna be the NerdGOD!

Frogs Hair
June 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM
New comer with a lot to learn and I'm motivated to do so . I know my way around Windows pretty well , but Linux is totally different . I always scratch my head when I see threads trying to compare Windows and Linux. Linux is hobby for me.

gemmakaru
June 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Commoner here also.