PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm Box iTunes Store Plugin

Jakiejake
June 5th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone was working on an iTunes Store Plug-in for Rhythm Box
So we could buy our music of the iTunes Store inside of Linux/Ubuntu?

doorknob60
June 5th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I can guarantee you that will NEVER happen (unless it's developped by Apple or something lmao). I recommend Amazon MP3 personally, though it doesn't work through Rhythmbox, it works just fine from your browser in Linux (and can import your songs right into Rhythmbox if set up correctly)

Matthewthegreat
June 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Why not try the ubuntu one music store? :)

v1ad
June 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM
why in the world would anyone buy through itunes instead.

Jakiejake
June 5th, 2010, 06:33 AM

My country
I'm in Australia and started a post here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9412996
No Replies Yet

Frak
June 5th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Never.

Rodney9
June 5th, 2010, 07:36 AM

One Music Store does not work down under, anyway it has a hopeless range and payment options plus it's not even included in Xubuntu, no loss though.

toupeiro
June 5th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I've had 0% success with the ubuntu store as well. It never accepts payment, no matter what method I use. I gave up.

Jakiejake
June 5th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I've had 0% success with the ubuntu store as well. It never accepts payment, no matter what method I use. I gave up.

Then what am I going to do to buy good cheap music?
I might try Bandit.fm

Paqman
June 5th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Did you file a bug?

pt123
June 5th, 2010, 10:13 AM
FTC is looking into Apple's online music operations. They might force them to release a protocol so third party applications can use the store. Just like how MS have to do for Exchange and Windows Active Directory.

Jakiejake
June 5th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Then what am I going to do to buy good cheap music?
I might try Bandit.fm

Bandit.fm is pretty good
Only signed up haven't brought anything yet...

3rdalbum
June 5th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Bandit.fm is pretty good
Only signed up haven't brought anything yet...

Bandit.fm is usually a bit expensive, but they give away a lot of free music and free tracks. At the moment I think they give you $20 of credit when you buy an album, which is alright.

I use Bigpond Music; yeah I'm not a big fan of Telstra, but their music store is pretty good and very reasonably priced.

The only time I've bought from Ubuntu One Music Store ended in tragedy so I don't think I'll bother wasting my money again. I have, however, bought straight from 7digital with good results.

zekopeko
June 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM
FTC is looking into Apple's online music operations. They might force them to release a protocol so third party applications can use the store. Just like how MS have to do for Exchange and Windows Active Directory.

You can thank the EU for that one. US market regulation is seriously broken.

zekopeko
June 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM
There was a way to access the iTunes store on Linux but it was squashed around the time of iTunes 4-5 by Apple.

Giant Speck
June 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM
You know what's funny?

When I plug in my iPhone, it asks me to open up my playlist in Rhythmbox, and it does. I can play all the songs from my iPhone on Rhythmbox.

When I click on an iTunes link on the iTunes website, it also asks me to open Rhythmbox; though, when I tell it to open Rhythmbox, it doesn't do anything. This tells me that Rhythmbox is able to detect iTunes links, but at this time, it isn't able to open them.

zekopeko
June 5th, 2010, 02:20 PM
You know what's funny?

When I plug in my iPhone, it asks me to open up my playlist in Rhythmbox, and it does. I can play all the songs from my iPhone on Rhythmbox.

When I click on an iTunes link on the iTunes website, it also asks me to open Rhythmbox; though, when I tell it to open Rhythmbox, it doesn't do anything. This tells me that Rhythmbox is able to detect iTunes links, but at this time, it isn't able to open them.

You can thank the iPhone working to libimobiledevice. But like all Apple products it can break anytime there is an update.

Apple is actively blocking any software from accessing the iTunes store. It is basically a web page so if Apple would allow it, it could work in any browser.

Jakiejake
August 23rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Well Thanks Guys!

afrodeity
November 3rd, 2010, 05:38 PM
This seems like a consumer right. A bit like forcing people to drive a certain type of car in order to purchase food at a particular restaurant. Inane and stupid if you ask me.

BTW try TunesViewer

dragon95
January 14th, 2011, 10:18 AM
The answer of course is dont buy apple..then again, if we all buy apple it could make a nice dent in micky$oft..you can dislike them as much as you like but they have managed to do what Linux should have done a few years ago but that would take a common approach and just like all unix ( yeah go on shoot me down ) type o/s's it just too fragmented fo the general population to understand....google with andriod may yet show us how it should be done...I'm off to buy an android phone , now just need to find one made in europe..lmao

clayt0njknight
March 16th, 2011, 03:26 AM
why in the world would anyone buy through itunes instead.

It may not necessarily be for buying through iTunes. Honestly, if you can point me somewhere I can download CNBC's 'Mad Money' podcast as easily as iTunes allows me to, I'd be pleased. And surprised.

It's not just the music industry Apple is putting a stranglehold on, it's media in general. Sadly, I'm forced to virtualize windows inside vmware, use it to download my podcasts from iTunes (because these are iTunes specific, they aren't just podcast feeds floating in the cloud) and then copy them to my phone to watch on the way to work, or to my shared drive so I can watch them in either VLC or Totem. PAIN IN THE ***.

NoBugs!
March 19th, 2011, 04:41 AM
It may not necessarily be for buying through iTunes. Honestly, if you can point me somewhere I can download CNBC's 'Mad Money' podcast as easily as iTunes allows me to, I'd be pleased. And surprised.

What about this page (http://podcast.cnbc.com/mmpodcast/lightninground.xml)? Opens fine with Tunesviewer, and like other rss podcasts, you should be able to subscribe to this with Rhythmbox, Amarok, etc.

Japhering
July 1st, 2011, 09:51 PM
What about this page (http://podcast.cnbc.com/mmpodcast/lightninground.xml)? Opens fine with Tunesviewer, and like other rss podcasts, you should be able to subscribe to this with Rhythmbox, Amarok, etc.

Unfortunately, as of Jun 29th.. Rhythmbox is no longer working with said link

NoBugs!
July 31st, 2012, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately, as of Jun 29th.. Rhythmbox is no longer working with said link

Rhythmbox is more of an audio/podcast program, you might have better luck with gpodder, miro or another podcast app.