PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trying 10.04 live CD blacks out my monitor ?

Browser_ice
June 5th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I was checking out the ubuntu 10.04 live cd before deciding to install it but after choosing to try it ou, my monitor just stays black. I cannot see anything, nothing happens. If I do a ctl-alt-delete it does a shutdown (I see the shutting down progress bar).

I tried with the xubuntu 10.04 live cd and the same thing happens. I checked both CDs md5sum and they are good (matching what they are supposed to be).

Is there a change in how 10.04 handles ATI video cards ? My guess is something not working with my ATI Radeon 9600XT.

Can this be fixed or do I have to forget every new releases since 10.04 ???

lrcaballero
June 5th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Try downloading another image from the Ubuntu website and burn it into a dvd. Make sure you select the right format for you i386 and /or amd64 and play with it see if problems persist. This happened to me a while ago and this solved my issue. It was the live cd and not my hardware as I thought back then.

Good Luck

Browser_ice
June 5th, 2010, 02:58 AM
all previous versions work OK on my PC. I wanted to install a fresh 10.04 (used the trial option first).

RIght now, answering you with 9.04 xubuntu live cd.

I had burned both 32bits version of 10.04 ubuntu/xubuntu.

wojox
June 5th, 2010, 02:59 AM
And burn it at the lowest speed possible.

What Graphics card/chip do you have?

lrcaballero
June 5th, 2010, 03:01 AM
did you get the live cd from a magazine or where did you get the live cd from??? is ti a trustworthy site? I say try again with different dvd/cd. Leave your options open!!!:KS

Luis

Browser_ice
June 5th, 2010, 03:01 AM
And burn it at the lowest speed possible.

What Graphics card/chip do you have?

MD5 checksum checks out ok so the CDs are not the problem

Browser_ice
June 5th, 2010, 03:02 AM
did you get the live cd from a magazine or where did you get the live cd from??? is ti a trustworthy site? I say try again with different dvd/cd. Leave your options open!!!:KS

Luis

Got both Live Cd from Ubuntu site and both checksum match what Ubuntu site says.

wojox
June 5th, 2010, 03:05 AM
MD5 checksum checks out ok so the CDs are not the problem

That doesn't really have anything to do with burning at the lowest speed. :)

Browser_ice
June 5th, 2010, 03:12 AM
That doesn't really have anything to do with burning at the lowest speed. :)

ok, I will reburn both live cds at lowest speed and try it again.

wojox
June 5th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I read your fist post and see you already posted your Graphics card. :redface:

No I haven't seen anything about ATI. It's mainly Nvidia and Intel that are having problems.

confused57
June 5th, 2010, 03:22 AM
See oldfred's post here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1498034&highlight=nomodeset

proggy
June 5th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I was checking out the ubuntu 10.04 live cd before deciding to install it but after choosing to try it ou, my monitor just stays black. I cannot see anything, nothing happens. If I do a ctl-alt-delete it does a shutdown (I see the shutting down progress bar).

I tried with the xubuntu 10.04 live cd and the same thing happens. I checked both CDs md5sum and they are good (matching what they are supposed to be).

Is there a change in how 10.04 handles ATI video cards ? My guess is something not working with my ATI Radeon 9600XT.

Can this be fixed or do I have to forget every new releases since 10.04 ???You didnt specify what ati card you had but yes there are problems with the open source card on the live cd.Mine was (black) in and out and was only able to install mostly from memory and seeing my desktop long enough to remeber where to install the proprietary drivers that were prOposed to me. Is your monitor hooked up through vga or dvi/hdmi?